Addendum for eating disorder Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brch

New

Addendum for eating disorder

Post by brch » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:18 am

Hi everyone,

I have had an eating disorder for many years now, but never let it affect my academics. During my MA dissertation, however, it became an issue and I subsequently received a 'pass' (C) on my dissertation, a large drop from my 'A' average in undergrad and MA coursework. Since my dissertation I have seeked out non-medical/non-professional help to manage my eating disorder and am able to sucessfully manage it. I do not have medical/professional documentation to submit and only have a letter of supprt from my course director who's become aware of the situation.

Given that an eating disorder is considered a mental illness, would writing an addendum address my poor performance on my dissertation raise any character and fitness problems both for my application, and later, for my admission to the bar? That is to say, would writing an addendum about this create a bigger problem in the way of C&F both for the admissions cycle and for bar admission down the road?

Thank you for any advice

Cradle6

Bronze

Re: Addendum for eating disorder

Post by Cradle6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:05 am

I would think about the pros and cons of this.

Pro:

Might get a little sympathy for a bad grade.

Con:

Might introduce doubt about your mental security which could jeopardize your future career.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:42 am

IME this is very unlikely to hurt you for character and fitness, although of course it depends on your state and no one here can tell you for sure, etc. But I'm not sure an addendum is a good idea anyway. Considering how much more law schools care about overall GPA than about the story the grades tell, it might be more likely to hurt you. There is a real stigma no matter what the law says, and it's something people can pass off to themselves as "just not prepared at this point in his/her life", "wouldn't be doing him/her any favors", etc.

If you do write an addendum, do NOT use phrases like "never let it affect", and "successfully manage". That kind of language makes you sound sicker. Not trying to imply anything, just a word to the wise on your word choice.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:02 am

Absolutely do not say you had an eating disorder. I spoke with the president of my university - one of the country's most respected educators - about a similar situation. In my case, I had a physical ailment (I got very sick). While he is not a law adcom, he maintains connections with those in the top schools and has a very solid grasp on what they are thinking.

His suggestion was that, if anything, simply state:

"I developed a medical ailment that caused [a bad grade on my thesis]. After pursuing substantial treatment, this matter was fully resolved, and I am now in perfect health."

brch

New

Post by brch » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 am

Seoulless wrote:Absolutely do not say you had an eating disorder. I spoke with the president of my university - one of the country's most respected educators - about a similar situation. In my case, I had a physical ailment (I got very sick). While he is not a law adcom, he maintains connections with those in the top schools and has a very solid grasp on what they are thinking.

"I developed a medical ailment that caused [a bad grade on my thesis]. After pursuing substantial treatment, this matter was fully resolved, and I am now in perfect health."
Thank you, everyone, for your replies thus far. I am now beginning to think I should perhaps just omit the whole thing.

Seoulless: I think you raise a good point. I do not, however, have any documentation to substantiate the vague claim. In your opinion, do you think this would be an issue? I feel as though it would perhaps raise flags anyway, despite trying to be as vague and discreet as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:29 am

brch wrote:
Seoulless wrote:Absolutely do not say you had an eating disorder. I spoke with the president of my university - one of the country's most respected educators - about a similar situation. In my case, I had a physical ailment (I got very sick). While he is not a law adcom, he maintains connections with those in the top schools and has a very solid grasp on what they are thinking.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies thus far. I am now beginning to think I should perhaps just omit the whole thing.

Seoulless: I think you raise a good point. I do not, however, have any documentation to substantiate the vague claim. In your opinion, do you think this would be an issue? I feel as though it would perhaps raise flags anyway, despite trying to be as vague and discreet as possible.
They will NEVER ask you for documentation. In terms of whether it would still raise flags, I can tell you this: I made it a point on my addendum to note that I had a physical ailment. I intentionally precluded their suspecting a mental health issue.

Having considered the above, you could ask whether your poor performance was a result OF THE results of your condition or rather your condition yourself. In other words, if I were a compulsive reckless driver addicted to drag racing, got in an accident and developed an injury that screwed up my thesis, I do not think it would be improper for me to say that I developed a physical ailment despite the fact that the root cause was psychological (my compulsion to drive recklessly). Likewise, I do not think it would be improper to say that it was a physical ailment for you as well if that is what caused you to have a bad thesis. Obviously, if you had depression, then it would be a clear lie to say that you had a physical ailment inasmuch as the term is commonly used. Yet, I think it is entirely fair to say that you had a physical ailment inasmuch as you developed truly physical effects that precluded your effectively working on your thesis. I'm not a doctor and know very little about eating disorders, but it doesn't take a doctor to know that the results of an eating disorder are significant physical ramifications.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:06 am

brch wrote:Hi everyone,

I have had an eating disorder for many years now, but never let it affect my academics. During my MA dissertation, however, it became an issue and I subsequently received a 'pass' (C) on my dissertation, a large drop from my 'A' average in undergrad and MA coursework. Since my dissertation I have seeked out non-medical/non-professional help to manage my eating disorder and am able to sucessfully manage it. I do not have medical/professional documentation to submit and only have a letter of supprt from my course director who's become aware of the situation.

Given that an eating disorder is considered a mental illness, would writing an addendum address my poor performance on my dissertation raise any character and fitness problems both for my application, and later, for my admission to the bar? That is to say, would writing an addendum about this create a bigger problem in the way of C&F both for the admissions cycle and for bar admission down the road?

Thank you for any advice
So if this is M.A. work, this isn't part of the LSAC GPA right? You're just explaining a grade that really has no bearing on the number? If so, just leave it alone; don't introduce mental health issues drawing attention to something they likely would not care about anyway.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:16 am

I'm not sure about C&F issues specifically, but I wouldn't write about it, especially if your MA is recent. The questions raised about your health and whether it's wise to admit you to a stressful program would likely be worse than any questions about one grade. If you really feel like you should explain the grade, you could say you were ill and not specify, but I would just avoid calling attention to the grade altogether.

brch

New

Post by brch » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:42 am

Thank you everyone for your input. It seems as though I shall simply omit the addendum!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”