Keep or drop college W.E. from resume? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RunnerRunner

Bronze

Keep or drop college W.E. from resume?

Post by RunnerRunner » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:57 pm

Hello all,

I've been out of school for a few years and was originally only going to include my post-college work on my resume in order to keep my resume to one page. I've since read on one school's website (not my target school, but still) that it is ok to have a resume longer than one page in a law school application. Should I include my work experience/extra-curriculars from college on an additional page or leave my resume as is? (Note: my college work experience was run-of-the-mill. The only purpose it would serve would be to show that I was working close to full time, ~30 - 35 hours a week, while going to school). Any insight would be appreciated!

whitespider

Silver

Re: Keep or drop college W.E. from resume?

Post by whitespider » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:04 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:(Note: my college work experience was run-of-the-mill. The only purpose it would serve would be to show that I was working close to full time, ~30 - 35 hours a week, while going to school)
Meh, if it's like retail or fast food I'd leave it off. Especially if your more recent WE is something more impressive.

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:09 pm

I would include it. I think it's important to show that you were working during undergrad.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Include it but keep your resume as one page. If you've been out of school for only a few years I highly doubt there's any justification for having more than a 1 page resume.

Though it should be pointed out that it probably won't make a difference one way or the other as to whether you get accepted.

Adrian Monk

Bronze

Post by Adrian Monk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:19 pm

i can see why trivial work being left out is better, but what about as assistant manager position for a fast food franchise? its fast food, but you do a little more work and more responsibilties.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:21 pm

I don't think it matters for law school admissions. Your package just gets turned into one multi-page PDF file, so it really doesn't matter since it all runs together. Once you start job searching, I'd get rid of your college jobs if they're the typical undergrad gigs. No one is going to care that you swiped people into the dorms at night or delivered Jimmy Johns or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”