Plan of Attack Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which one?

Approach 1
50%
Approach 2
33%
Both?
17%

Total votes: 6

1Lin2015

New

Plan of Attack

Post by 1Lin2015 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:32 pm

So, I've been wondering what would be the best way to approach this cycle and I would greatly appreciate any advice you have. My GPA is a 3.88. I'm currently prepping for the September LSAT. I'm targeting a 172+. My PTs reflect that I will be able to hit a high 160 score by September, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to push it in the next couple of weeks to consistently break the 170s. Before anyone posts "get an official score and comeback," my question is actually quite specific. I plan to pretty much blanket the T-14. If I don't hit a 172+ in September, I'll retake in December. As such, I'm debating between two approaches.

Approach 1: Apply with my 167-170 September LSAT and register for the December LSAT. I know how important it is to apply early. Will my application be viewed as an October application or simply a December/January application by schools that would require a higher LSAT score to admit me?

Approach 2: Take September LSAT and if it doesn't meet my target, don't apply this cycle. Retake in December and apply the following cycle.

Obviously the best case scenario is I get a 172+ in September, but if that doesn't happen, I'll be deciding between these two. In particular, I'm unsure how law schools, namely T6 schools, will react to an LSAC profile that shows a lower than median LSAT score in September but a prospect for a higher score in December. Doing both is obviously an acceptable answer, although if my ultimate goal is T6 and these schools will perceive my score as a late application and I will have a better chance applying early in the following cycle, doing both may be pointless. Also the financial strain from application fees of two cycles is concerning. Any thoughts?

Much appreciated.

Relevant thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=235728

Moneytrees

Silver

Re: Plan of Attack

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:37 pm

First off, it's not that important to apply early. A 172 in December trumps a 168 in September, every time. Applications are way down and applying in December is considered late anymore.

Furthermore, I'm confused about your strategy. If your goal is T6, you pretty much need to hit 170 either in September or December. If you get a score, say, a 172 in December, I don't see why you would want to wait a cycle. Just go ahead and apply. You would have a good shot at CCN.

If you don't hit a 170, keep in mind that a 168 or 169 are valuable scores in today's admissions climate. Sure, you probably wouldn't get into a T6, but you would probably get some significant scholarship money from many T14. Any particular reason why you want T6? A full ride at Cornell would be better than squeaking and paying sticker at NYU.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Getting a little ahead of yourself. Just take the test in September and see how you do.. Good luck!

1Lin2015

New

Post by 1Lin2015 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Since I'm a recent grad that just started working, there isn't a particular rush for me to go to law school this cycle. I guess my reasoning was applying Sept 1 next cycle, all else equal, would be better than applying by late-December. I would be accumulating work experience that would likely pay-off during OCI and help some of my later career goals. That said, if I reach my LSAT goal by December, I guess it is still worthwhile to apply. I should resort to approach two only if I don't meet my targets.

I'm interested in applying to clerkships and a T6 would likely best situate me for that (or so that is my understanding). I agree that CCN with significant scholly is a perferable option than HYS without it though.

Indeed, I'm getting quite ahead of myself. I should take the test and base decisions on that. Out of curiosity though, supposing I take the test in September and December (in almost all cases, I will be taking it at least twice), should I apply after I get my September score or after I get my December score? Can having my application pending in between late-September and late-December benefit in any way?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Just know that with a December LSAT, you need to apply to Chicago the day you get your results back. They fill up early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:06 pm

1Lin2015 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Since I'm a recent grad that just started working, there isn't a particular rush for me to go to law school this cycle. I guess my reasoning was applying Sept 1 next cycle, all else equal, would be better than applying by late-December. I would be accumulating work experience that would likely pay-off during OCI and help some of my later career goals. That said, if I reach my LSAT goal by December, I guess it is still worthwhile to apply. I should resort to approach two only if I don't meet my targets.

I'm interested in applying to clerkships and a T6 would likely best situate me for that (or so that is my understanding). I agree that CCN with significant scholly is a perferable option than HYS without it though.

Indeed, I'm getting quite ahead of myself. I should take the test and base decisions on that. Out of curiosity though, supposing I take the test in September and December (in almost all cases, I will be taking it at least twice), should I apply after I get my September score or after I get my December score? Can having my application pending in between late-September and late-December benefit in any way?
You should apply when you have the LSAT you want/have been PTing around. So for you, if you really want a 171+ and make a 168, retake. If you make a 171+ apply. It's up to you to decide if you think you can do better. But if you can, you should definitely retake (unless it's the difference between a 177 and a 180 or something). I would not apply with a 168 if I was PTing much higher and was going to take the December test, if that helps.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 pm

1Lin2015 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

If you take the September LSAT and don't score in the 170's, don't apply until you've taken the December LSAT. This is because schools might reject you based on your September LSAT, or, if you include an addendum stating that you plan to take the December test, they will just wait until they receive that score before making a decision. So basically, save yourself the hassle and apply once you've taken the test twice and have your scores in order.

As general advice, I would say this: take the LSAT as many times as it takes to get your best possible score. If it means waiting a cycle and taking it 3 times, that's fine. You want to make sure you get your best possible score. And as a further note, T6 is largely a meaningless distinction. Don't be married to the idea that you should go to a T6 school at all costs. Penn or Northwestern at a significant discount are much outcomes than CCN at sticker, for example.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 am

1Lin2015 wrote:I'm interested in applying to clerkships and a T6 would likely best situate me for that (or so that is my understanding).
Ignoring potentially massive differences in debt load (between a T6 and a lower T14) to pick a school based on its marginally better placement into a one-year temp job is absolutely absurd. Making clerkship placement your primary criterion for choosing any law school is not rational.

Why do you want to clerk? What do you want to do after clerking?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”