Northwestern ED, Should I? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
opporeallaw

New

Northwestern ED, Should I?

Post by opporeallaw » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Do you think I have a Chance?
I am worried because
1) My GPA is 2.4( My highest GPA per sem is 3.4, and 0.8 once for medical condition) and I finished in 3 years:(
Undergrad program ranked top 2 in the US
2)no Full Time job, only 4 summer internships while in college
3) graduating in Dec 2014
4) June LSAT 175
5) Asian But US citzen

IF I ED NU, do I have a chance?

please tell me what you think!
Do I have a chance?

Do I have a chance at top 14 at all?

Thank you all so much!!!!!!

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Northwestern ED, Should I?

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm

You have no chance at getting in through ED because of your GPA.

This thread has some tips for your admissions cycle strategy:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=235554

Good luck!

Edit: if you haven't yet graduated, I would seriously consider not graduating in December and taking a lot of easy classes to try and raise your GPA as much as you can. Once you get that diploma though, you're stuck.
Check what your school's policy is on retroactive withdrawals to get rid of that .8 semester if you can.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Dirigo wrote:I would seriously consider not graduating in December and taking a lot of easy classes to try and raise your GPA as much as you can.
Great advice ^^. The LSAT and Asian ethnicity helps, so you have a chance at T14. However with that GPA and no work experience (something NU loves, but it is not universal across all T14), I don't think you have much of a chance. Regular admission I'd say there is a chance at NU and some lower schools on the T14.
http://mylsn.info/4nqhhw/
That GPA might really limit your opportunities, but maybe an addendum explaining the 0.8 will help whisk away the worry. As for the substantive question: don't ED at NU.

Cradle6

Bronze

Post by Cradle6 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 pm

If it was for medical reasons, why not get the semester withdrawn retroactively?

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 pm

All this advice you've been given is solid. Don't graduate until you have a 3.x. You can do a lot with that LSAT score. You don't wanna waste it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Dirigo wrote:Edit: if you haven't yet graduated, I would seriously consider not graduating in December and taking a lot of easy classes to try and raise your GPA as much as you can. Once you get that diploma though, you're stuck.
I disagree. OP would need to be in school for many years to be able to make their GPA anywhere near respectable enough to not drag down their application. Once you're that far below the 25th percentile, I'd say OP's time is better served by getting work experience saving money to make up for the comparatively low scholarship offers they will receive.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Also do not waste your time with the ED. You have no chance.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Edit: if you haven't yet graduated, I would seriously consider not graduating in December and taking a lot of easy classes to try and raise your GPA as much as you can. Once you get that diploma though, you're stuck.
I disagree. OP would need to be in school for many years to be able to make their GPA anywhere near respectable enough to not drag down their application. Once you're that far below the 25th percentile, I'd say OP's time is better served by getting work experience saving money to make up for the comparatively low scholarship offers they will receive.
Oh true. I just did some math and I over estimated how much a 4.0 for another semester or two would do. Just as it wouldn't really make that much of a difference for somebody with a 3.8, it doesn't seem to make much difference for somebody at the low end either.
OP would still only have a 2.75 if s/he did well in the last semester and did well in an additional semester.
OP should just graduate and cross fingers Northwestern pairs him/her with a nice reverse splitter through regular decision.

opporeallaw

New

Post by opporeallaw » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm

no chance? :cry:

Cannot stay in school to raise my GPA.

If I retake my LSAT in Sept and hit 179, will that help?
I am willing to study for it, its painful but......

will that help?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Northwestern ED? 180 won't even help.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opporeallaw

New

Post by opporeallaw » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 pm

RD is easier than ED for NU? why RD instead? Where should I ED then?

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:34 pm

It will not help. It's not going to happen. You have a pretty reasonable chance at general acceptance, at any rate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:37 pm

opporeallaw wrote:RD is easier than ED for NU? why RD instead? Where should I ED then?
Yes... Northwestern EDs get a full ride; it's much easier to RD. You shouldn't ED anywhere else unless you are rich as fuck.

I mean, go for it and ED Northwestern -- it's not going to hurt anything. They just have zero incentive to give you the ED (whereas every other T14 has a lot of incentive to accept you ED (i.e. get rich)).

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm

opporeallaw wrote:RD is easier than ED for NU? why RD instead? Where should I ED then?
ED for NU is fairly competitive because it comes with a $150k scholarship. Apply if you wish, but don't be surprised if you're rolled over to RD.

opporeallaw

New

Post by opporeallaw » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm

chance at any t14? if so which one?

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Apply to most and cross your fingers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:08 pm

2.4, your best shot at T14 is NU RD
no shot at ED, as others have said
2.4 with super high lsat can get you in off NU RD waitlist, but not with significant money, so apply broadly outside of the t14

i doubt a retake will help much since you're already at 175
(though not saying it will have zero effect if you score higher)

to the person who said asian ethnicity will help, it most certainly will not

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm

It will be a pretty unpredictable cycle since you're a super splitter, so you should apply broadly to strong regionals and a lot of the Top 30. You're bound to get in some $$ somewhere.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Dirigo wrote:It will be a pretty unpredictable cycle since you're a super splitter, so you should apply broadly to strong regionals and a lot of the Top 30. You're bound to get in some $$ somewhere.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Dirigo wrote:It will be a pretty unpredictable cycle since you're a super splitter, so you should apply broadly to strong regionals and a lot of the Top 30. You're bound to get in some $$ somewhere.
Yeah it's going to be a weird cycle for you, especially if you're KJD. You're going to have a few T14s bite, and you'll probably get outright rejected by some T20s.

Without knowing anything about your situation, I wouldn't plan on attending a T14 next year, as you're really not going to get a substantial scholarship to one. Even with your killer LSAT, you're probably going to have to lower your expectations -- better to do that on the way into the cycle than on the way out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”