Why do people love to hate GULC? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
runinthefront

Gold

Re: Why do people love to hate GULC?

Post by runinthefront » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:55 am

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:03 am

FKASunny wrote:
Brut wrote: i don't see gulc as being significantly underperforming its peer schools vandy and ut
from a pure placement perspective, that is
Actually, Vandy's latest employment numbers on LST have a slight edge of GULC.

BL + CL at GULC: 46.5%
BL + CL at Vandy: 45.1%

BUT when you factor in all types of employment (including public interest, gov., and small firm work like nealric wants to factor in) Vandy has a score of 85.9% to GULC's 83.7%.

Almost double the percentage of fed clerks, lower unemployment score, and way lower COL and more generous scholarships. GULC needs to get it together and slash their class size.
Eh, you have to take into consideration the location of the jobs as well. DC>TN, and 20% stay in TN.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:09 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:
FKASunny wrote:
Brut wrote: i don't see gulc as being significantly underperforming its peer schools vandy and ut
Actually, Vandy's latest employment numbers on LST have a slight edge of GULC.

BL + CL at GULC: 46.5%
BL + CL at Vandy: 45.1%

BUT when you factor in all types of employment (including public interest, gov., and small firm work like nealric wants to factor in) Vandy has a score of 85.9% to GULC's 83.7%.

Almost double the percentage of fed clerks, lower unemployment score, and way lower COL and more generous scholarships. GULC needs to get it together and slash their class size.
Eh, you have to take into consideration the location of the jobs as well. DC>TN, and 20% stay in TN.
Depends what you want to do

If you want to work in healthcare tn is a great place to be

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Also DC is a fetid swampy shithole

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Also, it's not like Tennessee was a backup for those 20%. It's really hard to land a gig in Nashville, even from top of the class at vandy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stellina

New

Post by stellina » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Personally, I'd pick Vandy bc of its more national reach.

GULC's fairly regional: it only places 34% of their grads outside of their top 3 most frequent destinations. Vandy places 58%.

QED.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:10 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Brut wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:GULC - A good school whose employment numbers are under performing relative to its peer schools.
i actually disagree

i don't see gulc as being significantly underperforming its peer schools vandy and ut
I feel like no one has acknowledged this sly dig at GULC and I feel like it should be acknowledged even if it is obvious
I was about to acknowledge it yesterday, but then got distracted by some real work. I thought it was pretty clever.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Legitimate question- if Georgetown's median drops to 167 as many have predicted, can we expect any sort of reaction by the administration? Will we finally see a smaller class and a shift towards better scholarship offers? Prestige and reputation alone are not realistically going to keep Georgetown's medians at t14 levels.

It's been discussed that Georgetown just doesn't care about what other schools are offering, scholarship wise. But can't the administration see that this strategy could eventually lead to lower medians? Do they not foresee that if something doesn't change, Vandy/UCLA/UT will likely all be considered legitimate peers, if not straight up better schools, in 10 years time? Maybe they are just banking that relative prestige will keep Georgetown ahead of the pack. Or maybe they just don't give a fuck.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:12 pm

baal hadad wrote:Also DC is an overpriced, fetid swampy shithole
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Legitimate question- if Georgetown's median drops to 167 as many have predicted, can we expect any sort of reaction by the administration? Will we finally see a smaller class and a shift towards better scholarship offers? Prestige and reputation alone are not realistically going to keep Georgetown's medians at t14 levels.

It's been discussed that Georgetown just doesn't care about what other schools are offering, scholarship wise. But can't the administration see that this strategy could eventually lead to lower medians? Do they not foresee that if something doesn't change, Vandy/UCLA/UT will likely all be considered legitimate peers, if not straight up better schools, in 10 years time? Maybe they are just banking that relative prestige will keep Georgetown ahead of the pack. Or maybe they just don't give a fuck.
I doubt it. GTTTown has significant endowment problems (in that it barely has one). They have to fund their overpriced faculty salaries and meager scholarships via cross-subsidized tuition from admitting a ton of students that pay sticker.

I doubt they want their median to drop...the problem is that they just have no other choice right now.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:34 pm

JCougar wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:Legitimate question- if Georgetown's median drops to 167 as many have predicted, can we expect any sort of reaction by the administration? Will we finally see a smaller class and a shift towards better scholarship offers? Prestige and reputation alone are not realistically going to keep Georgetown's medians at t14 levels.

I doubt it. GTTTown has significant endowment problems (in that it barely has one). They have to fund their overpriced faculty salaries and meager scholarships via cross-subsidized tuition from admitting a ton of students that pay sticker.

I doubt they want their median to drop...the problem is that they just have no other choice right now.
Interesting. Yeah, that makes sense. Why is it that they have endowment problems?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:50 pm

FKASunny wrote:Also, it's not like Tennessee was a backup for those 20%. It's really hard to land a gig in Nashville, even from top of the class at vandy
Can confirm. Got more callbacks in DC than in Nashville.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Interesting. Yeah, that makes sense. Why is it that they have endowment problems?
Historically, they were just poor with fundraising and managing their money. That started to change maybe 15 years ago or so, but by then, well, time value of money...other peer schools were way ahead of them.

Their business model as a law school is basically a result of their lack of endowment. The only way they can spend lavishly like other T14s is by admitting a gigantic class where most people pay sticker, and then by admitting a bunch of transfer students after 1L. Of course, now that national sticker price has jumped the shark at all law schools, and accurate employment data is now a lot easier to access, they can't afford to match the discounts other schools are handing out.

This isn't just a one-year problem for GTown. It's going to be an ongoing problem from here on out. It's going to take some strategic/creative thinking on their part to keep the "T14" intact in the near future.

FWIW, George Washington is in a similar bind.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:53 pm

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Brut wrote:http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... _scho.html
outdated but interesting
Yeah, I've seen that before. I wish we could get an updated version. The blog post is from 2006, but the numbers are from 2000.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Cougs, how do you know that historically they were bad with money and things changed 15 years ago? Not saying you're wrong but where did you get that/how do you know so much about GULC's history?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:59 pm

Wow...one thing I forgot about was how ND was on that list. And yet they're still stingy with scholarships, to the point where their median has significantly declined.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 am

BigZuck wrote:Cougs, how do you know that historically they were bad with money and things changed 15 years ago? Not saying you're wrong but where did you get that/how do you know so much about GULC's history?
http://georgetownvoice.com/2009/09/24/g ... d-footing/

That article relates to the parent university. The law school's own endowment, when considered separately, isn't as bad as I thought it was (although it's still bad when you consider $ per student), but this gives one reason to believe that they probably get 0 help from the parent university.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:02 am

JCougar wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Cougs, how do you know that historically they were bad with money and things changed 15 years ago? Not saying you're wrong but where did you get that/how do you know so much about GULC's history?

That article relates to the parent university. The law school's own endowment, when considered separately, isn't as bad as I thought it was (although it's still bad when you consider $ per student), but this gives one reason to believe that they probably get 0 help from the parent university.
Thanks

Yeah, the Dean was crying poor when I met him, guess there might have been some truth to what he was saying. Quite the pickle.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:06 am

BigZuck wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Thanks

Yeah, the Dean was crying poor when I met him, guess there might have been some truth to what he was saying. Quite the pickle.
so u r saying the Dean is not well endowed

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:09 am

baal hadad wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Thanks

so u r saying the Dean is not well endowed
I mean, he didn't just plop his endowment right down on the table. But that's the sense I got, yeah

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:45 am

Regulus wrote:Image
WoTC beat you to it:

In all seriousness, there are scenarios where it would make sense to go to the Law Center. Examples I can think of:

1) Government employees who are interested in the part time program.
2) People with no DC area ties who a) want to work in DC and b) would rather be unemployed than work in NYC and c)did not get into UVA and d) have some reason not to care about the cost of law school (scholly, family, GI bill, etc...)

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:49 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:54 am

Regulus wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:1) Government employees who are interested in the part time program.
2) People with no DC area ties who a) want to work in DC and b) would rather be unemployed than work in NYC and c)did not get into UVA and d) have some reason not to care about the cost of law school (scholly, family, GI bill, etc...)
lol who are these people?
Maybe not long term unemployed, just be cooler with not having a job at graduation than doing NYC big law.

The point is they are few and far between.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”