Potential Dilemma:2 versus 3 LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JerryLundegard

Bronze

Potential Dilemma:2 versus 3 LOR

Post by JerryLundegard » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 pm

Hey everybody,

This is my first post but I have used the forums(just reading) for quite a while now.

I graduated from Rutgers in 2013 with a major in philosophy and have just started my second year with Teach For America. I already have two LOR lined up with two of my former philosophy professors. I am contemplating requesting a third LOR from my instructional coach-the dean of instruction at my school(KIPP)...Where things get complicated is that I am not so sure that he would write a very compelling recommendation given that I would be leaving the school after two years. Additionally, as we are not incredibly close, I think he would mostly mention/repeat things that I discuss in my resume and PS.

So my question is this...
would it be weird if i worked a full time job for two years and didn't get a letter of rec from my employer-or will this not matter because I am a recent college graduate? Or should I send three and potentially run the risk of making my application redundant and forced(from the employer side)

I am not sure I framed this super well but I have been up since 5am-working full time and lsat studying so I hope I have painted a clear enough picture.

Any input is appreciated as I will be applying this upcoming cycle(mostly #15-#35 ranked schools). Thanks!

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Potential Dilemma:2 versus 3 LOR

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:31 pm

To the extent that schools care about LORs they want exactly two academic ones. It will not look weird to not use one from a job if you're only a few years out of school. Additionally, a meh third LOR weakens two strong LORs.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:43 pm

You definitely don't need a TFA letter, and it certainly won't be expected. To the extent adcomms care about LORs at all (and outside of a very few schools, they care very little, unless the recommender warns that you're a sociopath), they want to hear from people who have evaluated you academically. If it were a really compelling LOR that revealed some positive aspect(s) of your character not evident in the rest of your app, then it would be fine to include it. Most employer letters are blandly positive fluff that say nothing specific or illuminating. It sounds like this one would likely fit the second rather than the first description.

ETA: scooped

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 pm

I don't know. I think there is something to be said for diversity of recommendations. Both of your letters are coming from the same department, it could be helpful to have someone present your professional side since you are applying to a school training you for a profession. Also, TFA could be useful in helping you create a public service angle.

I'd be curious if your professors are basically going to say the same thing "he's super curious asks good questions, always dependable in terms of being prepared, etc."

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:14 am

If I were you, I would just submit the two academic LORs. Someone on Asha's Yale blog asked about this, and she specifically said not to include a meh letter just for the sake of including an additional letter.

If you really want to use another letter, is there someone from within TFA that you could ask? Like your MTLD or whatever they call them now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Skool wrote:I don't know. I think there is something to be said for diversity of recommendations. Both of your letters are coming from the same department, it could be helpful to have someone present your professional side since you are applying to a school training you for a profession. Also, TFA could be useful in helping you create a public service angle.
If a professional letter does anything less than illuminate some positive aspect(s) of OP's character and ability not evident in the rest of the app with specific illustrations, it will not be helpful at all. It doesn't sound like OP is likely to receive such a letter.

JerryLundegard

Bronze

Post by JerryLundegard » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:08 am

Thanks for the feedback folks! I am going go with the 2 letters. Whether it is with my MTLD or my supervisors at my school I don't think i will get beyond a meh recommendation. I did a fine job there but I wasnt enough of an extrovert to force those relationships to develop. I am really focusing on my TFA experience in my PS. My 2 recommendations though both from the same department had me in much different scenarios. One professor had me for a 7 student honors philosophy seminar in advanced ethics whereas the other had me in an undergrad class of about 40 students. I want to milk all that I can out of the Rutgers Philosophy Department prestige, but I would have gone to these professors anyway as we had fantastic relationships. Now I continue to prep for Septembers test... Thanks again

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”