unorthodox background Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
madz

New

unorthodox background

Post by madz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:04 pm

Disclaimer: my first post.

I understand that you don't want to linger in the past during your personal statement, or really in any aspect of your application.
I also understand, from attending the LAWS conference and listening to the Yale/NYU/Mich/etc. admissions deans speak, that you want to write about "what makes you tick" and how you will make a unique contribution to the student body.

If it were up to me, I'd write as little about my background as possible. But On the one hand, it could be a narrative about personal transformation and what gives me a unique perspective, on the other, I really don't want to talk about things that, while helping to shape who I am today, aren't especially things I wish to revisit, and aren't too relevant to my future. Before forfeiting a roof over my head to pay for some consulting, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this, especially anyone who was in a similarly unorthodox boat. Much appreciated.
Last edited by madz on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: unorthodox background

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:13 pm

I don't think schools even see what high school you went to (though one or two ask) and so they probably won't know about anything earlier than college (unless you have to disclose C&F issues). Unless I misunderstood, your college tenure wasn't a nice and clean eight semesters, but it also wasn't super crazy. I don't think you need to worry about addressing your background in your application or PS. If you think you have a strong PS topic that doesn't reference much of this background, go for it.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:44 pm

I don't know why that's such a terrible problem to have. Going from a GED to completing your MA + getting all As in your last two years of college is a nice story.

Cradle6

Bronze

Post by Cradle6 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:44 pm

If your grades initially declined, how's it possible to have a 4.0 cummaltive?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:45 pm

OP doesn't actually mean "LSAC cumulative", just that at the state school he/she has all As.

madz

New

Post by madz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45 am

twenty wrote:OP doesn't actually mean "LSAC cumulative", just that at the state school he/she has all As.

That's correct. 2 years of state was a cumulative 4.0. Previous two years in CC was definitely not. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”