Need Advice! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kyrae04

New

Need Advice!

Post by kyrae04 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:54 am

I graduated May 2014 from Ohio State University with a BS in Biology. My original plan was med school but as time went on and I took several classes, I realized it wasn't for me. I graduated with a 2.941 GPA, with no trends in grades. Various circumstances such as working part or full time to pay for school, parents' divorce, difficult major, depression, etc. played significant roles.

I am wanting to study health law and policy. Maybe work in a hospital? I have no work experience in the legal field but do work full time as a Patient Care Associate (essentially a nurse's assistant) at the University Hospital.

I have not began prepping for or taken the LSAT yet. I have been prepping for the GRE for a Nurse Practitioner program, but realized that I am not entirely sure I want to work in direct patient care.

With my lack of experience, low GPA, and no clue as to how well I will perform on the LSAT, what advice can you all offer? I intend to begin prepping intensely for the LSAT and am aiming for a 170++. What schools should I consider? I do not really care where I go, but being financially independent, $100,000+ tuitions aren't really an option.

Thank you so much!

js1663

Bronze

Re: Need Advice!

Post by js1663 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:07 am

It's impossible to say which schools you have a shot at before you take the LSAT though if you do indeed score in the 170's you have a shot at some of the lower T-14's such as Northwestern and a good chance at a scholarship at lower ranked schools: http://mylsn.info/iqtjhv/

Otherwise the only advice I can give is start working on the LSAT asap, it's the only thing that can really help you counter your lower GPA. As far as actual LSAT studying goes, I can't suggest what the best program or study guide is since I only know what's worked for me, but if you do some research there's plenty of advice and guides that are available on this site and in the forums.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:03 pm

kyrae04 wrote:I graduated May 2014 from Ohio State University with a BS in Biology. My original plan was med school but as time went on and I took several classes, I realized it wasn't for me. I graduated with a 2.941 GPA, with no trends in grades. Various circumstances such as working part or full time to pay for school, parents' divorce, difficult major, depression, etc. played significant roles.

I am wanting to study health law and policy. Maybe work in a hospital? I have no work experience in the legal field but do work full time as a Patient Care Associate (essentially a nurse's assistant) at the University Hospital.

I have not began prepping for or taken the LSAT yet. I have been prepping for the GRE for a Nurse Practitioner program, but realized that I am not entirely sure I want to work in direct patient care.

With my lack of experience, low GPA, and no clue as to how well I will perform on the LSAT, what advice can you all offer? I intend to begin prepping intensely for the LSAT and am aiming for a 170++. What schools should I consider? I do not really care where I go, but being financially independent, $100,000+ tuitions aren't really an option.

Thank you so much!
I love when people come on here and talk about how they're aiming for 170+. A 170 puts you in the top 2.5% of test takers.

Good luck!

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:30 am

bugsy33 wrote:
kyrae04 wrote:I graduated May 2014 from Ohio State University with a BS in Biology. My original plan was med school but as time went on and I took several classes, I realized it wasn't for me. I graduated with a 2.941 GPA, with no trends in grades. Various circumstances such as working part or full time to pay for school, parents' divorce, difficult major, depression, etc. played significant roles.

Thank you so much!
I love when people come on here and talk about how they're aiming for 170+. A 170 puts you in the top 2.5% of test takers.

Good luck!
For real. OP, take a diagnostic test and then decide what you're shooting for. I know very smart people who would give up a testicle to get a 170, it's no easy feat.

Additionally, bear in mind that if you choose to go to law school, there is a very real possibility that you will have to take whatever job they end up throwing at you, including no job at all. Going to law school under the assumption that you'd be able to just get a job at a hospital is an error, unless your buddies at the hospital you work at now have already promised you the hook up.

My advice is to take a deep breath, and look at getting an entry level position or internship in the fields you think you might enjoy. If you think that's law, go intern at your local prosecutor or defender's office. Whether it's being a Nurse Practicioner, a lawyer, or a plumber, don't start going down that road until you know what the job at the end entails.

Once you find out if you actually want to be a lawyer, then start prepping the LSAT. Search on Amazon for the Powerscore Bibles, you want the two that aren't for reading comprehension. Then buy all the tests and start working through them. A 170 is going to be a lot of work, so treat it like a full time job. Check back when you've taken your first practice test under timed conditions, and we'll start talking about your future.

Best of luck, my friend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”