Re-applying to school previously applied to... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Username123

Silver

Re-applying to school previously applied to...

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I applied to a number of law schools during the 2012-2013 cycle and ended up deciding to not pursue law school at the time, and instead, get some work experience.

I plan on applying to 10+ schools this cycle (2014-2015), in which a few of these 10 or so schools are schools I applied to in the previous cycle above. Of these schools I previously applied to, I was admitted, waitlisted and denied equally across the board.

How does the fact that I am re-applying after a successful/unsuccessful previous application look to an admissions officer? For example, I applied to School X two years ago and was denied admission. I re-apply with a higher LSAT (crossing fingers...). Would my previous application play any role in my current application? The same question applies for School Y in which I was admitted but withdrew my application.

I hope that was clear.

Thanks for the help!!!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Re-applying to school previously applied to...

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:40 pm

With a higher LSAT, your previous decision means nothing

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:43 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:With a higher LSAT, your previous decision means nothing
That's the response I was hoping for! Thanks!

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm

This is the certified truth. Good luck with this cycle.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 pm

This past cycle, I got into a bunch of schools I didn't get into my first cycle. I had a new LSAT (most thing important I'm sure), a new PS, and I included an addendum explaining why I was re-applying. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:59 pm

As a reapplicant, I can confirm:
I got into every school I previously got into...with way more $$$.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:36 pm

The document retention policy for some schools will mean that they might not even have a record that you applied 2 years ago, let alone the application. If they do have the application, it will depend on not just the individual school, but often the specific person at the school reviewing your application.

I always look through the application of previous applicants, in particular the resume and personal statement. If the personal statement is the same and there's nothing much new on the resume, that's a big strike against in my book, even with a higher LSAT. I also take a quick look to see how the person did in their final semester if they applied K-JD the last time. It's another small strike if they haven't updated their transcript with LSAC since they last applied because to me that probably either means they did poorly and don't want us to know or are just too lazy to do it.

Of course, how much the (potentially) higher LSAT impacts things will depend on the school and exactly HOW much higher it is, and where it is relative to that schools median today (which since most schools have declined since you last applied, that's in your favor).

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”