William Mitchell College of Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PandC

New

William Mitchell College of Law

Post by PandC » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:37 am

Hi,

For a long time I have had an interest in law. Just for background info, I'm in a stable profession and would be considered an older student. If I pursue a JD, it will help me get to the next level (my current profession is related to law). I am not willing to give up my job to go to school (the opportunity cost would not make sense). I am interested in the hybrid program.

I have an undergrad gpa between 3.94-3.97. I graduated with a 3.94 but then took a bunch of part time courses because I worked for a college, so I used the tuition waivers. I earned A's in all these extra courses (they were pre-med courses). I'm not sure how gpa is calculated for admission.

I hate debt. I was foolish when I was younger and had a house foreclose in 2010. Because of this, my goal is to get a scholarship of at least 90% or bust.

Does anyone know what formula the admission's team uses for scholarships? I've already contacted them for general information but haven't heard back yet. I've been studying for my lsat test. I'm trying to figure out if I need to take a prep class to up my score (I've been scoring (150-155).

Thanks for reading.

Count1234

New

Re: William Mitchell College of Law

Post by Count1234 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:12 am

You have a really good GPA, but it's the LSAT that will matter more. I took my LSAT at WM, and whoever was running the LSAT said that you should aim for 160 to get into WM with scholarship. I got a 165 and have a much much much lower GPA than yours and I was offered a full ride scholarship. You probably don't need 165, but you'll need to be near their 75th percentile to get really good scholarship offers. That being said, you will need to raise your score. I studied by myself, and I went from diagnostic of 154 to 165, so it's possible to do by self-study. I can't speak to whether LSAT courses will work, but they're not necessary. The PowerScore Bibles are great.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 am

Improve your LSAT dramatically and everything else will work itself out (other than getting a job as a lawyer, which W&M isn't renowned for: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/williammitchell/). But if you won't be taking on any debt and you'll have your current job at graduation, knock yourself out, just don't consider going there for less than a full ride.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:28 pm

With your GPA, a score in the mid-160's will probably get you a huge scholarship at the U of M, which would be a better option all around. If that doesn't work out because of your work situation, then William Mitchell for free or nearly free may not be the worst option if you think it will help you in your current position (I'm probably going against TLS wisdom, but I don't think WM is necessarily a horrible option IF you go for cheap). I don't know a ton about their scholarships, but my friend with a lower GPA and 161 LSAT got a full tuition scholly.

PandC

New

Post by PandC » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi,

thanks for the responses. Seems the consensus is I need a 160.

WM is likely the only school I can go to. I also have a family which makes going to school difficult. I'm also in a position with the ability to move up, so leaving is a definite no.

I've read about the scam blog movement, law lemmings, ATL and a number of other websites. I won't go unless I can get a significant scholarship. I'm also only considering this school because it's been around for a long time and it has a hybrid program.

Thanks
PandC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:22 pm

AT9 wrote:With your GPA, a score in the mid-160's will probably get you a huge scholarship at the U of M
Keep in mind, the OP might not be near Golden Gopher land. The reference was to the hybrid program where on only attendees class in person one week per semester.

I will be attending this program although I live and work in Virginia.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:40 pm

haus wrote:
AT9 wrote:With your GPA, a score in the mid-160's will probably get you a huge scholarship at the U of M
Keep in mind, the OP might not be near Golden Gopher land. The reference was to the hybrid program where on only attendees class in person one week per semester.

I will be attending this program although I live and work in Virginia.
Ah, my bad. Didn't know the hybrid program was structured that way.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:13 pm

You don't need a prep class just yet. Advice on here is free, old tests are cheap, and you are well within striking distance of that 160.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”