JD / MA in Education? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mn40

New

JD / MA in Education?

Post by mn40 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi everyone - I had a question about joint degrees.

Does applying for joint programs tend to hurt your chances? As someone working in education currently, I am interested in applying for the JD / MA Education at Stanford. According to Stanford, you apply to the MA program after getting accepted by the law school, but are still required to indicate your interest in the MA program at the time of the JD application. I am interested in the program but it's not a must for me, and I wouldn't want to further limit my already unlikely shot at Stanford Law.

Thank you in advance!

https://ed.stanford.edu/admissions/appl ... reqs/jd-ma

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Re: JD / MA in Education?

Post by Chrstgtr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:54 pm

I imagine if you have the credentials to get into SLS then you would similarly have the credentials to be accepted to their MA program.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Out of curiosity, what are your career goals? Seems like a strange combination.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:15 pm

swampman wrote:Out of curiosity, what are your career goals? Seems like a strange combination.
It's a very strange combination. Generally, a M.Ed. is only good for teaching or being an administrator. If you are interested in policy, go for an MPP.

Source: 0L with 2 years teaching + M.S.Ed

brooklynboy

New

Post by brooklynboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:36 pm

I can't see how wanting to also pursue another degree would be a disadvantage!

In fact, if your motivation for wanting an M.Ed. complements your interest in a particular field of law, I see it as potentially conferring an advantage.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:47 pm

brooklynboy wrote:I can't see how wanting to also pursue another degree would be a disadvantage!

In fact, if your motivation for wanting an M.Ed. complements your interest in a particular field of law, I see it as potentially conferring an advantage.
Except when degrees provides no advantage but additional debt.

brooklynboy

New

Post by brooklynboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:06 pm

My understanding of the OP's question was whether the additional degree would confer an advantage in the admissions process, not whether it makes sense to get an additional degree.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:59 pm

brooklynboy wrote:My understanding of the OP's question was whether the additional degree would confer an advantage in the admissions process, not whether it makes sense to get an additional degree.
OP asked whether jumping out of their moving car will get them to their destination faster.
You told OP that jumping out of their car will get them there faster. Chrstgtr pointed out that jumping out of a moving car is probably not a good idea. Maybe OP is some sort of stuntman and the advice doesn't apply, but someone had to say it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”