What Schools Should I Apply To? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
optimisty

New

Re: What Schools Should I Apply To?

Post by optimisty » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Hello everyone,

My LSAT was a 170. My GPA from the school I graduated is a 3.15. I transferred after my freshmman year with a 4.0 GPA. I don't know how that factors, but the schools will see both transcripts.

I'm not interested in BigLaw at all. I want to practice Public Interest law and use my JD to be an effective advocate in my community. I'm currently doing zoom informational interviews to learn more about Public Defense and Juvenile court and I am confident that I am the type of person who would do well in these environments.

I live around Boston and I prefer to study/practice/live in New England but I am open to good programs elsewhere. I have family throughout the US and would consider relocating anywhere. I think my roots in New England would make be a better lawyer if I started in New England...but I am adaptible and open minded.

I'm 5 years out of college, have a variety of discordant work experience, but have always volunteered actively in civic minded organizations (not named in interests on anonymity). Early this year, I came to realize that I wanted to practice law but I thought in any realistic plan I would apply for 2022. Then Covid shook things up, gave me time to study for the LSAT, and now I am trying to accelerate that timeline for 2021.

So...where should I apply? I am interested in schools with good law journals and public interest loan forgiveness plans.I've been impressed with what I've learned about Northeastern and BU's public interest programs. I plan to take my best shot and try for Harvard.

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm

optimisty wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Hello everyone,

My LSAT was a 170. My GPA from the school I graduated is a 3.15. I transferred after my freshmman year with a 4.0 GPA. I don't know how that factors, but the schools will see both transcripts.

I'm not interested in BigLaw at all. I want to practice Public Interest law and use my JD to be an effective advocate in my community. I'm currently doing zoom informational interviews to learn more about Public Defense and Juvenile court and I am confident that I am the type of person who would do well in these environments.

I live around Boston and I prefer to study/practice/live in New England but I am open to good programs elsewhere. I have family throughout the US and would consider relocating anywhere. I think my roots in New England would make be a better lawyer if I started in New England...but I am adaptible and open minded.

I'm 5 years out of college, have a variety of discordant work experience, but have always volunteered actively in civic minded organizations (not named in interests on anonymity). Early this year, I came to realize that I wanted to practice law but I thought in any realistic plan I would apply for 2022. Then Covid shook things up, gave me time to study for the LSAT, and now I am trying to accelerate that timeline for 2021.

So...where should I apply? I am interested in schools with good law journals and public interest loan forgiveness plans.I've been impressed with what I've learned about Northeastern and BU's public interest programs. I plan to take my best shot and try for Harvard.

Thanks!
Unless you're a URM, then Harvard just isn't in the cards. For your goals, you should probably shoot for BU/BC and apply to peer schools/T13s for scholarship negotiation purposes. But if you were to land any T13 school with a decent scholarship, getting back to Boston wouldn't be hard. (I assume you were being coy when you said "New England," but be aware that outside the T13, schools place regionally. So if you meant you wanted to work in Vermont, BU/BC might not be ideal choices.)

A couple of other miscellaneous thoughts: "good law journals" are meaningless to applicants (and to your future employers). The only journal credit that makes a real difference in legal hiring is law review, and in the fields you're interested in, law review doesn't count for a whole lot. Additionally, you want to be wary of conflating Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) with Loan Repayment Assistance Programs (LRAPs). PSLF is a government-run program that you will qualify for--assuming it stays in its current form--so long as you work in a qualified job for 120 months. LRAP refers to a school-specific program to assist with loan repayment. Outside the T13 (and within the T13 to a large extent), LRAPs are contingent on PSLF, and you should do some research on different programs and the costs/benefits associated with them.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:45 am

I disagree with the above post regarding the assertion that the only law school journal that has an impact in the hiring process is law review.

I also disagree with the statement that that BU or BC law would not help one with employment opportunities in Vermont. BU/BC law schools are fine for one desiring to practice law in Vermont.

I agree that Harvard Law School is unlikely to admit you unless you are an URM.

francism

New

Post by francism » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:07 am

Deciding which law schools to apply to is an important and personal decision that will depend on your individual goals, preferences, and circumstances. Here are a few factors to consider when deciding which law schools to apply to:

Location: Think about where you want to live and practice law. Do you want to stay in your current city or state, or are you open to moving elsewhere?

Specialty: Consider the areas of law that you are most interested in and look for law schools that have strong programs in those areas.

Ranking: Look at the rankings of different law schools, as well as their reputation in the legal community. Keep in mind, however, that rankings are just one factor to consider and should not be the sole determining factor in your decision.

Cost: Law school is a significant financial investment, so consider the cost of tuition and other expenses when deciding which schools to apply to.

Size: Think about whether you prefer a larger or smaller law school environment. Some people thrive in larger schools with more resources and opportunities, while others prefer the intimacy and support of a smaller community.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose law schools that align with your goals and values, and that will provide you with the education and experience you need to succeed in your career.

JohnTLS

New

Post by JohnTLS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:41 pm

francism wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:07 am
Deciding which law schools to apply to is an important and personal decision that will depend on your individual goals, preferences, and circumstances. Here are a few factors to consider when deciding which law schools to apply to:

Location: Think about where you want to live and practice law. Do you want to stay in your current city or state, or are you open to moving elsewhere?

Specialty: Consider the areas of law that you are most interested in and look for law schools that have strong programs in those areas.

Ranking: Look at the rankings of different law schools, as well as their reputation in the legal community. Keep in mind, however, that rankings are just one factor to consider and should not be the sole determining factor in your decision.

Cost: Law school is a significant financial investment, so consider the cost of tuition and other expenses when deciding which schools to apply to.

Size: Think about whether you prefer a larger or smaller law school environment. Some people thrive in larger schools with more resources and opportunities, while others prefer the intimacy and support of a smaller community.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose law schools that align with your goals and values, and that will provide you with the education and experience you need to succeed in your career.
This is really good advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xmixx68

New

Post by xmixx68 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:09 am

Hi guys,

I am two offers for JD program. The first CWSL with a %75 tuition scholarship and the next Penn Dickinson with $40k annually both are conditional. As you know Penn is T58 and CWSL is far away but California is my desired city for living.
I am also waiting to hear from UCI and on the waitlist for Kent.
I don't know what I should do with these paradoxical choices.
Would you please help me?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”