Thought I was OK...apparently not Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ravel

Bronze

Thought I was OK...apparently not

Post by ravel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:00 pm

e
Last edited by ravel on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Thought I was OK...apparently not

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:49 pm

You said you passed up a school because you couldn't afford it, so I assume you're making the (wise, in my opinion) decision to limit debt. So, even if you're out at HYS, does it really matter?

My guess is you'll get in at CCN, probably with a little bit of money. You'll also probably get some big money from the rest of the T14. Apply broadly and negotiate. Your 172, combined with a high GPA, gives you a very good hand to play.

You'll have a good cycle. Relax.

ravel

Bronze

Post by ravel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 pm

f
Last edited by ravel on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 pm

ravel wrote:Hi,

I applied during the 2013-2014 app cycle to only a handful of top 10 schools. I got 2 rejections, one acceptance and the rest were all wait-lists. I couldn't afford to go to the school I got into, so I retook the LSAT. I had two scores in the mid 160s before and a 4.1 LSAC (3.9 school) GPA. Now I'm at a 172, but my GPA is at a high 3.9 (high 3.8 school).

I'm worried because I was looking at the admissions statistics and a lot of people were rejected with roughly my scores from HYS and CCN...I thought I was in good standing, but now I don't anymore. Should I retake again? It will have been two years since my first time taking the test by December so I qualify for a retake.

Also, I have anxiety, which I can put in my LSAT addendum and which is verifiable by a doctor. Would that increase the odds that my two lower scores won't drag my application down?

Thank you.

Cheers.
With a near 4.0 and 172, you're likely looking at big money from at least one t14 if you apply broadly. You are in very good shape.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:09 pm

You're going to get good money. Make sure to blanket the entire T14 this time so you will have more options and bargaining ability. Also probably worth it to write why x essays with those numbers to avoid any YP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm curious as to where you were finding admissions statistics that showed a lot of people being rejected near your numbers. Using mylsn.info with the parameters 3.95-3.98/172 admissions were near 100% from H on down, with most of the WL's/R's likely being YP related.

slexisl1024

New

Post by slexisl1024 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:25 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:You said you passed up a school because you couldn't afford it, so I assume you're making the (wise, in my opinion) decision to limit debt. So, even if you're out at HYS, does it really matter?

My guess is you'll get in at CCN, probably with a little bit of money. You'll also probably get some big money from the rest of the T14. Apply broadly and negotiate. Your 172, combined with a high GPA, gives you a very good hand to play.

+1 Enjoy $$$-$$$$ at (a couple of) MVDCNG.

Edited to indicate that you won't get money at ALL of the above, but at least a couple.

ravel

Bronze

Post by ravel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:28 pm

f
Last edited by ravel on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravel

Bronze

Post by ravel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:33 pm

=
Last edited by ravel on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:42 pm

ravel wrote:
CincinnatusND wrote:I'm curious as to where you were finding admissions statistics that showed a lot of people being rejected near your numbers. Using mylsn.info with the parameters 3.95-3.98/172 admissions were near 100% from H on down, with most of the WL's/R's likely being YP related.
I was going through the list of applicants on TLS. I know that I'm looking at anecdotal evidence in that case, but even the law school predictors give a 50-60% chance for HYS. I'm just worried that my two lower scores or some other flaw with my application will put me in the reject pile. It just made me a lot less confident.
Law school predictors are shit, so I wouldn't put much stock in them. As to the rest, I mean, yeah, HYS are the best 3 law schools in the country, they can afford to reject anyone they want, so it's never guaranteed to get accepted there, especially when you are below the LSAT medians. Just put together the most compelling application you can. If you feel confident in your ability to do better on a retake, that's an option too. At the end of the day though, even if you score a 180, you aren't guaranteed admissions to HYS.

Also, others may refute this or not, but I personally would tread lightly with an addendum about your "anxiety." Law schools are looking for applicants that will excel in law school and afterwards, I wouldn't give them any reason to think you may struggle to do that.

slexisl1024

New

Post by slexisl1024 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:08 pm

ravel wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:You said you passed up a school because you couldn't afford it, so I assume you're making the (wise, in my opinion) decision to limit debt. So, even if you're out at HYS, does it really matter?

Well, I'm international, so while scholarships would be great, if I get into HYS, I can use non-government funds the schools have set up to be able to finance my education. I'm pretty sure HYS are the only schools that provide that kind of help to international students (on the basis of what I remember reading). I'm OK with debt. The problem was that I did not even qualify for loans because I'm international. Since I still can't count on getting substantial scholarship money from a top 10 school, I really need to get into HYS to be 100% sure I can finance my education.
"Top 10" is an arbitrary distinction. Northwestern (non-"top 10") places better than Duke or UVA or Michigan (all "top 10") when it comes to fed clerk and big law. You are likely to get significant scholarship money (full-tuition or close) at one or more of several schools in the 7-13 range.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”