Application Form Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Phoney_Lemon

New

Application Form Question

Post by Phoney_Lemon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi, I'm sure this will seem like a strange - some might say stupid - question, but I'm curious as to what the typical application forms look like for the T14 law schools.

I found Cornell's on their website and it had certain questions like "who most influenced your decision to go to law school". I was under the assumption the application forms were essentially an information dump and didn't require any thought outside of listing your name, LSAC number, etc...

I just don't want any surprises as I'm hoping to ED UVA the first day of applications - I'm a splitter, so I want to maximize my chances.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

swampman

Bronze

Re: Application Form Question

Post by swampman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 pm

The full list of what you'll need for UVA (from the website):

-Law School Admission Test (LSAT) score (or GMAT score if applying for the J.D./M.B.A. program, if the applicant wishes).
-Transcript of prior academic record, submitted through the Credential Assembly Service (CAS)
-Two letters of recommendation
-Personal statement(s) and résumé. Additional personal statements or any other addenda may be submitted.
-$80 application fee
-Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges, if seeking classification as a resident student

The personal statement and resume obviously take a good bit of effort, and you need to write those in advance. You also may want to write an additional short essay on "Why UVA," and if you have any diversity going for you then you may want to write a diversity statement. If you have a legitimate explanation for a low gpa (illness, family problems) you may want to write a short statement to explain that.
The application will take a couple hours to go through just to get formatting right and fill everything in, but I don't remember there being any surprise questions -- no "what's your favorite book" crap on there.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”