LSAC Evaluations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
schmelling

Silver

LSAC Evaluations

Post by schmelling » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

Last edited by schmelling on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sims1

Bronze

Re: LSAC Evaluations

Post by sims1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 am

They don't really matter, you can get a couple filled out if you want and it won't hurt. LoR's are the ones that count since they are more personalized and specific.

jbates14

New

Post by jbates14 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:37 pm

sims1 wrote:They don't really matter, you can get a couple filled out if you want and it won't hurt. LoR's are the ones that count since they are more personalized and specific.
LOL at LORs counting. No one gives a shit about your letters of recommendation. Its all about LSAT and GPA.

schmelling

Silver

Post by schmelling » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Last edited by schmelling on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schmooky

New

Post by schmooky » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Last edited by schmooky on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Evaluations: None of the schools I applied to wanted them. IIRC most specifically noted in their application instructions that they wouldn't even be reviewed if sent. There's probably a list somewhere of what schools want them but I doubt that list contains any desirable schools. This list is four years old but it only includes three TTT schools. Probably not worth bothering anyone to fill out.

LORs: I absolutely think LORs matter. LSAT/GPA are certainly the most important part of any application but LORs can make a difference at the margins and you should try to get the best (positive and specific) LORs you can.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm

OP, no school worth a damn requires evaluations. Just get LORs. Having done paid admissions counseling and worked alongside former law school adcomms, I can tell you that the consensus is that no one cares about LSAC evaluations. When professors are forced into using a clearly delineated rating system rather than permitted to solely give subjective assessments, they often feel (internal) pressure to rate candidates higher than their assessments in prose would seem to justify. So an inordinate number of evaluations have students marked in the top or the top two categories for every question/category, which renders evaluations useless to adcomms as a measurement tool. Just stick with LORs.
jbates14 wrote:LOL at LORs counting. No one gives a shit about your letters of recommendation. Its all about LSAT and GPA.
Way too reductionist/simplistic. If this were accurate, then we would see Pearson coefficients approaching 1.0 at most schools when measuring numbers against admissions outcomes, after factoring out yield protection. But we don't. Not even close, really.
Mullens wrote: LORs: I absolutely think LORs matter. LSAT/GPA are certainly the most important part of any application but LORs can make a difference at the margins and you should try to get the best (positive and specific) LORs you can.
Yep.

Edit: quote fail
Last edited by Ti Malice on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmelling

Silver

Post by schmelling » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”