Dual Degree (UG and G) looking for some helpful input Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shakenbake

New

Dual Degree (UG and G) looking for some helpful input

Post by shakenbake » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Hey y'all.. So I am currently the first student at my school to be a part of a dual Bachelors of Science and Master of Public Health Program and I still have a year before I get either degree. I didn't do too hot my first two years in undergrad, and a C from high school is bringing down my LSDAS GPA. But in the last year, when I started taking UG and G classes together, I have consistently earned 4.0's because I realized how much harder I needed to work.

That being said, I just got my LSDAS GPA and it didn't include any of the 30 graduate hours that I got that were all A's. I did some research and found that in the LSAC transcript rules that " any work done at a graduate/law/professional school prior to the granting of a four-year degree will be included as undergraduate work." Considering I haven't gotten my bachelors yet, because I will get it this coming year in conjunction with my MPH, I assumed that my graduate classes would count too.

Does anyone have any experiences with a situation similar to this? I have tried to do some research but haven't found anyone in the same boat, and me being the first one at my school going through this means I don't get good advice from anyone here! I am planning on contacting LSAC when they open up tomorrow, but it's driving me nuts and keeping me distracted from studying, so if you know anything about this kind of situation, or have advice on what I should do, please let me know.

chuckbass

Platinum

Re: Dual Degree (UG and G) looking for some helpful input

Post by chuckbass » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Yea definitely talk to lsac tomorrow. To me, it sounds like that caveat you cited is directed at students that may take some graduate level courses during undergrad that aren't pursuing an actual graduate degree. I took a graduate class my junior year and it was included in my lsdas GPA. While you are concurrently taking classes for your BS and MPH, it would make sense to me that your grades for graduate courses aren't included in your lsdas GPA.

yot11

Bronze

Post by yot11 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:13 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Yea definitely talk to lsac tomorrow. To me, it sounds like that caveat you cited is directed at students that may take some graduate level courses during undergrad that aren't pursuing an actual graduate degree. I took a graduate class my junior year and it was included in my lsdas GPA. While you are concurrently taking classes for your BS and MPH, it would make sense to me that your grades for graduate courses aren't included in your lsdas GPA.
I'm not sure that this is the case. From my understanding, any university classes (grad or undergrad) taken before you receive your first bachelor's are factored into your GPA, regardless if they are counting towards a grad degree or just UG.

I am doing a 5-year BS/MS degree and graduate level (500+) classes I took before receiving my bachelor's factored into my LSAC GPA, even though they were counted towards my master's requirements.

Is there something on your transcript that distinguishes them from your UG classes (other than the course number being 500 or equivalent)?

At any rate, I would call LSAC to clarify this.

shakenbake

New

Post by shakenbake » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 pm

yot11 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Yea definitely talk to lsac tomorrow. To me, it sounds like that caveat you cited is directed at students that may take some graduate level courses during undergrad that aren't pursuing an actual graduate degree. I took a graduate class my junior year and it was included in my lsdas GPA. While you are concurrently taking classes for your BS and MPH, it would make sense to me that your grades for graduate courses aren't included in your lsdas GPA.
I'm not sure that this is the case. From my understanding, any university classes (grad or undergrad) taken before you receive your first bachelor's are factored into your GPA, regardless if they are counting towards a grad degree or just UG.

I am doing a 5-year BS/MS degree and graduate level (500+) classes I took before receiving my bachelor's factored into my LSAC GPA, even though they were counted towards my master's requirements.

Is there something on your transcript that distinguishes them from your UG classes (other than the course number being 500 or equivalent)?

Yeah I just gave them a call.. Turns out that my school separates the transcripts, so all of those A's which have been counting for my undergrad classes don't get counted on my transcript. It puts me right at a 3.50. Anyone think I have a chance into T-14 with that, cause I'm feeling pretty down right now.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 pm

shakenbake wrote:
yot11 wrote:

Yeah I just gave them a call.. Turns out that my school separates the transcripts, so all of those A's which have been counting for my undergrad classes don't get counted on my transcript. It puts me right at a 3.50. Anyone think I have a chance into T-14 with that, cause I'm feeling pretty down right now.
Wouldn't you just need to send in your transcript with grad courses and have LSAC compute them all together? Or is the fact that the two different type of classes are on separate transcripts significant? I thought it was any class before receiving your first undergraduate degree counted, regardless of level.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yot11

Bronze

Post by yot11 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:19 pm

^^^ I agree with above.

It sounds like when you sent in your transcripts, your school only sent your UG transcript, so LSAC hasn't seen your grad grades. If this is the case, then send in your grad transcript as well (with the LSAC form, etc) and I'm 90% sure LSAC will count it.

If your school DID send both transcripts and LSAC still didn't count that, then I think you need to push the issue a bit. 30 credits of 4.0 is nothing to scoff at, and it's within their stated guidelines.

At any rate, 3.5 wont keep you out of T14 (provided high enough LSAT), but it will keep you out of HYS. But if this is just an administrative error, then you definitely want to get it resolved and not give up.

shakenbake

New

Post by shakenbake » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
shakenbake wrote:
yot11 wrote:

Wouldn't you just need to send in your transcript with grad courses and have LSAC compute them all together? Or is the fact that the two different type of classes are on separate transcripts significant? I thought it was any class before receiving your first undergraduate degree counted, regardless of level.
That's what I thought. I sent in both the undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and they have both on the report. But all the classes on the transcript that we're graduate we're not included on the report. I'm gonna go ahead and talk to the registrar here today to see what they say.

As for lsac, the guy was dismissive when I tried explaining my situation to him and he told me since the transcripts were different, there couldn't be changes. Y'all know of any other avenues I can take to get it reviewed?

yot11

Bronze

Post by yot11 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Try sending in your grad transcript again and separately. See if they will add it automatically when they receive it. In the mean time, call back on a different day to see if you can get someone less dismissive to explain to you why your other transcript isn't factored in, when their guidelines make it pretty explicit that it should be.

Mine were factored in, but they were on the same transcript. But this shouldn't make any sort of functional difference.

shakenbake

New

Post by shakenbake » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:46 pm

yot11 wrote:Try sending in your grad transcript again and separately. See if they will add it automatically when they receive it. In the mean time, call back on a different day to see if you can get someone less dismissive to explain to you why your other transcript isn't factored in, when their guidelines make it pretty explicit that it should be.

Mine were factored in, but they were on the same transcript. But this shouldn't make any sort of functional difference.
Thanks for your help... I'll definitely do all of that stuff. It's just crazy that I feel like I'm being punished for getting more education!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”