Grade Deflation - do schools see class averages? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WeeBey

Silver

Grade Deflation - do schools see class averages?

Post by WeeBey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello TLS,

I go to U of Toronto, known for its epic grade deflation. The university website even says the aim for class averages in the mid to high 60s ( C to C+ range) and I majored in Biology.

I have a 3.31 LSDAS GPA, however, since course averages are posted on our transcripts, I checked out what LSDAS GPA the average student who took all my classes would get. It came up to a fucking 2.35 - out of the 30 credits i took, only 3 were B or higher, 8 were B-s, 9 were C+s, 3 were Cs, 4 were C-s, and 2 were D+s (WTF?!)

My 3.31 is almost whole grade point above class average 2.35, yet from a little research, most US schools have a 3.0 as the class average which would make my 3.31 kinda shitty.

My question is, would T14 schools take this into account during admissions, like would they also see my full transcript with a bunch of Cs in the class average column, or would they only see LSDAS GPA, and if they do, would it make a difference?

notalobbyist

Bronze

Re: Grade Deflation - do schools see class averages?

Post by notalobbyist » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:16 pm

It won't make as much of a difference as you would want, but may make a minor one.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:19 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Hello TLS,

I go to U of Toronto, known for its epic grade deflation. The university website even says the aim for class averages in the mid to high 60s ( C to C+ range) and I majored in Biology.

I have a 3.31 LSDAS GPA, however, since course averages are posted on our transcripts, I checked out what LSDAS GPA the average student who took all my classes would get. It came up to a fucking 2.35 - out of the 30 credits i took, only 3 were B or higher, 8 were B-s, 9 were C+s, 3 were Cs, 4 were C-s, and 2 were D+s (WTF?!)

My 3.31 is almost whole grade point above class average 2.35, yet from a little research, most US schools have a 3.0 as the class average which would make my 3.31 kinda shitty.

My question is, would T14 schools take this into account during admissions, like would they also see my full transcript with a bunch of Cs in the class average column, or would they only see LSDAS GPA, and if they do, would it make a difference?
They say they do. I've heard multiple adcomms claim they consider your GPA against your school's average. But since LSAC doesn't give a shit I doubt the law schools care half as much as they should.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Does the school name matter, cause for world rankings, QS World University Rankings puts it at 17th in the world. (Columbia 14, Duke 23, Berkeley 26).

I also have a huge upward trench, my junior year was a 3.82 and I don't need it to give me huge boost, Im black so just someting enough that Id have a shot at HCCN with a 170.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:43 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Does the school name matter, cause for world rankings, QS World University Rankings puts it at 17th in the world. (Columbia 14, Duke 23, Berkeley 26).

I also have a huge upward trench, my junior year was a 3.82 and I don't need it to give me huge boost, Im black so just someting enough that Id have a shot at HCCN with a 170.
School name matters about as much as any other soft. Which is to say not much. Nothing really matters compared to LSAT score and GPA. I went to a TT/TTT undergrad and made it into significantly better law schools than did some of my HYP friends pretty much entirely because of my GPA, as did countless other people on this forum.

Adcomms worship USNWR at the end of the day, and schools consequently care about LSAT score > GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else. Except URM. Your URM status will probably help a lot. In fact if you can get your score in the 175+ range you might even have a shot at Stanford, and certainly at CCN. Likely full rides in the lower T14.

Just focus on maximizing your LSAT for now and don't worry about your GPA, which you can't change.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:17 pm

thanks for the advice/info !

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”