. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Arculease

New

Post by Arculease » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Last edited by Arculease on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Re: Question About WE

Post by zugzwanger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Arculease wrote:Hey everyone!

So like many on TLS, I decided to take a couple of years off from law school in order to regroup and gain some work experience. Over the past year I have been working as a retail sales representative at a major telecommunications provider (think AT&T, Verizon). I have consistently been amongst the top in sales for my region since last fall. My question is, how do you think admissions would view my time here? Especially now that WE is becoming am important soft factor, I am interested to know the perception of my current profession.

Thanks!
I wish I could say more, but they would certainly look at it favorably! How could they not?

Arculease

New

Post by Arculease » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Last edited by Arculease on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Working in retail sales won't be a super positive factor, but it won't be a super negative either. Your GPA and LSAT will be what determines where you end up, not working at Verizon for a couple years.
Last edited by sundontshine on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oxie

Bronze

Post by oxie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:02 pm

I don't think they'll view it as a waste of time, especially if you use your resume well to to highlight your responsibilities and accomplishments. But I also wouldn't expect it to help you outperform your numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:15 pm

oxie wrote:I don't think they'll view it as a waste of time, especially if you use your resume well to to highlight your responsibilities and accomplishments. But I also wouldn't expect it to help you outperform your numbers.
This. It might put you ahead of k-jd's, but you're outcome will still be largely predicted by numbers/LORs/PS.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:20 pm

HorseThief wrote: It might put you ahead of k-jd's, but you're outcome will still be largely predicted by numbers/LORs/PS.
Ftfy

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:38 pm

I certainly don't think it will hurt you, but I don't think it will help you either. I've got 4 years of WE, 2 of which were TFA, and I did not outperform my numbers. It probably really only matters for Northwestern (which really cares about WE) and top schools where you are a borderline candidate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”