Going to school after withdrawing from another one Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
should-i-do-it

Bronze

Going to school after withdrawing from another one

Post by should-i-do-it » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:33 am

I started law school last summer at my local state school, there was a summer program you could do and take a class so you wouldn't have too in the spring. Anyways, two weeks into the class i discovered tls/lst, and found out the employment numbers for the school were pretty bad so i withdrew. The problem is its on my undergrad transcript now, (same school), I'm retaking and applying this fall (shooting for t20 schools) do you think schools will hold it against me/ask why I withdrew after going for 2 weeks?

Moabit

New

Re: Going to school after withdrawing from another one

Post by Moabit » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:46 am

You are a lawyer in the making, cook up some story, family circumstances, etc.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:36 am

Were you technically enrolled as a JD student or as an undergrad?

noobishned

New

Post by noobishned » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:18 am

I was in almost exactly your position. Schools will ask you about it but, as long as you have a good reason, they will be alright with looking past it.

I would definitely just say that you had some big problem (of your choice) and you thought it was better if you postponed law school for a year.

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:12 pm

I was enrolled as a JD student. I went and got my undergrad transcript the other day and the law school class was the first page, had a W next to the class. Would saying I didn't feel like it was the right time to go to school be sufficient or do I actually have to create a problem. I'd rather not lie on my application. Also the transcript does say I was in good standing so they would know I wasn't kicked out or anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moabit

New

Post by Moabit » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Any statement as to why you dropped the class other than that you felt the school was TTT would quite obviously be a lie. So you better accept lying and do it right. Don't let the system control you. You are not harming anyone. Of course law schools want brainwashed individuals scared shirtless to even lie about a THOUGHT -- such people are easier to manipulate -- but honestly it is not their damn business why you dropped that class.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:53 pm

should-i-do-it wrote:Would saying I didn't feel like it was the right time to go to school be sufficient...
Yes, that's good enough. You can say something about it not being a "fit". That's the diplomatic/polite way of saying it. No need to make something up or twist the truth around. It should go without saying, but NEVER lie or make something up on your application.

Dean Perez

Moabit

New

Post by Moabit » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:10 pm

I would avoid any bureaucratic speak about a "fit". It is too vague and leaves too much room for imagination and wondering what was wrong with you. Note also that in academia not being "a good fit" is a somewhat loaded phrase. If you screwed up you job interview, fumbled during your job talk, came about as an arrogant prick or a sexist at a lunch, your rejection letter will still praise your everything but explain that you are not "a good fit" with the school. So this phrase comes with too many negative connotations. Stay away from it.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Moabit wrote:I would avoid any bureaucratic speak about a "fit". It is too vague and leaves too much room for imagination and wondering what was wrong with you. Note also that in academia not being "a good fit" is a somewhat loaded phrase. If you screwed up you job interview, fumbled during your job talk, came about as an arrogant prick or a sexist at a lunch, your rejection letter will still praise your everything but explain that you are not "a good fit" with the school. So this phrase comes with too many negative connotations. Stay away from it.
Not saying you are wrong, but I would tend to listen to the law dean's opinion on the situation. SPerez is the Dean at Texas Tech

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moabit

New

Post by Moabit » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:31 pm

I know. Assistant Dean, not the Dean.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Moabit wrote:I know. Assistant Dean, not the Dean.
Well excuse me, regardless that means he knows more about what AdComs would look for than you do

Moabit

New

Post by Moabit » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:42 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:Well excuse me, regardless that means he knows more about what AdComs would look for than you do
As a LSAT-taker you surely know ad hominem argument when you see one.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Moabit wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:Well excuse me, regardless that means he knows more about what AdComs would look for than you do
As a LSAT-taker you surely know ad hominem argument when you see one.
Your experience in the world is directly related to (and in fact goes to support) the argument you are making, therefore it is entirely appropriate to weight that experience next to that of others in assessing the merits of your argument. No ad hominem here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Moabit

New

Post by Moabit » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Ok, I am convinced. It is fine to say you were not a fit in a law school class.
I would avoid any bureaucratic speak about a "fit". It is too vague and leaves too much room for imagination and wondering what was wrong with you. Note also that in academia not being "a good fit" is a somewhat loaded phrase. If you screwed up you job interview, fumbled during your job talk, came about as an arrogant prick or a sexist at a lunch, your rejection letter will still praise your everything but explain that you are not "a good fit" with the school. So this phrase comes with too many negative connotations. Stay away from it.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Moabit wrote:I would avoid any bureaucratic speak about a "fit". It is too vague and leaves too much room for imagination and wondering what was wrong with you. Note also that in academia not being "a good fit" is a somewhat loaded phrase. If you screwed up you job interview, fumbled during your job talk, came about as an arrogant prick or a sexist at a lunch, your rejection letter will still praise your everything but explain that you are not "a good fit" with the school. So this phrase comes with too many negative connotations. Stay away from it.

I see what you mean. When I say "fit" I don't mean in that sense. I would say it in the sense of the school's fit for OP. E.g. "I began to feel that the law school was not a good fit for my professional or academic goals so I decided it would be better for me to withdraw than to continue with that feeling of uncertainty."

Dean Perez

Moabit

New

Post by Moabit » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:01 pm

But wouldn't you then be inviting a further question during a (possible) phone interview asking you to explain how this school you are now applying to is different from that past one with respect to your professional goals? It might get you into some hot water, no?

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:40 pm

OP, I withdrew from law school after two weeks in 2012, took a year off, and I have applied this cycle, and it hasn't hurt me. Just be honest with them, and as long as you left in good standing, you should be fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 pm

I appreciate all the info, I was a bit worried about this but it seems like it shouldn't be a problem!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:24 pm

should-i-do-it wrote:I'm retaking and applying this fall (shooting for t20 schools) do you think schools will hold it against me/ask why I withdrew after going for 2 weeks?
maybe but the best course of action is still to gtfo of there asap

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Nova wrote:
should-i-do-it wrote:I'm retaking and applying this fall (shooting for t20 schools) do you think schools will hold it against me/ask why I withdrew after going for 2 weeks?
maybe but the best course of action is still to gtfo of there asap
meaning don't go to law school?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:33 pm

sry for ambiguity

i was just agreeing with everyone else that you should def leave your current school if you haven't already

you should be fine when you retake & reapply

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Nova wrote:sry for ambiguity

i was just agreeing with everyone else that you should def leave your current school if you haven't already

you should be fine when you retake & reapply
Oh ok, I'm not currently attending, that was back in 2012

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm

clearly i cant read

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Do I need to ask my previous school to send letters to all the schools im applying to or do i ask them to send me one and then i send them to the schools?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”