Summer GPA padding Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
robertrulez

New

Summer GPA padding

Post by robertrulez » Thu May 29, 2014 1:59 am

Ok guys!

I'm about to start prepping for the LSAT this summer but I still have 1 last class to go to graduate: Intro Bio 2. I decided to take it online at a community college. My grades for the spring were lower than I expected and now I have a cumulative 3.61 GPA including all CC and other university transfer work.

Thing is, I'm worried about this online Bio class. Bio is not my strongest suite and I have 2 possible outcomes:

I get an A in the class and my final GPA becomes a 3.62
I get a B in the class and my final GPA becomes a 3.59

So I was thinking, what if I just took intro to spanish as padding so that I am guaranteed an A (I was a Spanish major) and if I do end up getting a B in Bio, I am still guaranteed a 3.6

Although I walked in the graduation ceremony, I still haven't technically graduated so LSAC has to include all my remaining course work right?

Will law schools look down on this obvious GPA padding? My goal school is UT, so I would be right at the median with a 3.6.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Summer GPA padding

Post by Danger Zone » Thu May 29, 2014 2:12 am

Schools won't look down on it, but they also don't give a shit about the difference between a 3.59 and a 3.62.

Also what happened to your 3.7-3.8?

robertrulez

New

Post by robertrulez » Thu May 29, 2014 4:59 am

Danger Zone wrote:Schools won't look down on it, but they also don't give a shit about the difference between a 3.59 and a 3.62.

Also what happened to your 3.7-3.8?
What happened was that I realized that I enjoy my sanity more then a perfect GPA. Also I severely underestimated the difficulty of upper division philosophy classes.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu May 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Can you take the bio class pass fail? Otherwise, if your goal is UT and the difference between an A and B in this class is the difference between being above or below median there, yeah I think it's worth it to hedge. Make sure, though, that you'll still get credit for that intro Spanish class. Presumably you took and got credit for an analagous class already. Buena suerte.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”