...Could use an opinion! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Trajectory

Bronze

...Could use an opinion!

Post by Trajectory » Sun May 18, 2014 10:06 pm

So to sum it up (with enough detail to get good input) I'll just say that I took the LSAT 3 times, canceled once, got enough of a score to get into a few places out of state. I can't move out of state so those are ruled out, I am in GA. And the only place that I can attend for Fall 2014 is GA State Law as of now.

After getting a score 12-13 points lower than my PTs because of just straight anxiety and nerves the day of, I decided to shoot out apps and see what happens then afterwards figured there was no point in holding my breathe and actually found a decent job (still have). I've lived in GA 13 years so all of my connections are here, Law school is always what I've strived for and I knew I may need to take out loans so I've saved as much as I could in preparation for the "tough" life plus my family will also help financially so I will have zero living expenses and very little debt coming from UGA/GA State because of the lower costs. Emory would set me back a few grand, say ~40 thousand max.

Some more info, UGA undergrad, 3.5 GPA, good work experience, good rec letters. I can retake the test this October/December and apply for 2015 but that would set me back another year on top of the time wasted to complete all of the previous law school applications. Plus I'm not sure how I would study for a retake considering I work from 8-7 Mon-Fri.

Question is, is GA State no debt at all a good choice? Its a decent school for around here. I mean Emory honestly is so much more money than say UGA with minimal difference in job placement (based on TLS wisdom), I would confidently exclude that. Basically I would retake for UGA. I like both UGA and GA State. I doubt there would be a way to transfer. I don't particularly care about Big Law.

Right now I hate my job and it reaffirmed just how much I should follow what I want to do/study/work etc.

My mind is scattered 5 different ways so feel free to correct me or request for more information

sublime

Diamond

Re: ...Could use an opinion!

Post by sublime » Sun May 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun May 18, 2014 10:13 pm

I'd say it really depends on the answers to the following questions: What kind of job do you want after law school? How much will you be paying to attend GA State, even if it isn't in loans?

Edited to remove questions after re-reading OP.

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Sun May 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I can not stand my current job. I am an analyst. I am 25, 45k 50 if I hit bonuses. Fairly new job, less than an year, so I haven't hit every bonus. Did I mention that I hate my job? Since I haven't been at this job a long time I have to say that they make upward mobility seem like its possible, and they do promote internally. Pay increase isn't anything crazy. For GA State probably $20000 roundabout.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Trajectory wrote:I can not stand my current job. I am an analyst. I am 25, 45k 50 if I hit bonuses. Fairly new job, less than an year, so I haven't hit every bonus. Did I mention that I hate my job? Since I haven't been at this job a long time I have to say that they make upward mobility seem like its possible, and they do promote internally. Pay increase isn't anything crazy. For GA State probably $20000 roundabout.
So you'll lose $135k in lost income - so your cost to attend is at least $155k. When you graduate, you'll likely end up in a job making $60,000. It will take at least ten years to recoup your initial investment - assuming promotions/raises in your current career track wouldn't outpace your legal promotions/raises. Does that sound worth it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun May 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Not worth it. You would be lucky to get any job coming out of Georgia State.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 18, 2014 11:21 pm

If you get a job (if) you'll probably be making about what you make now. Don't bother w law school.

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Sun May 18, 2014 11:25 pm

HRomanus wrote:
Trajectory wrote: When you graduate, you'll likely end up in a job making $60,000.
That is very, very wildly optimistic for the "likely" scenario out of GSU. More likely would be very small law or something in the government and making like $40-$45,000. If he lands a legal job at all.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Sun May 18, 2014 11:40 pm

sundontshine wrote:
HRomanus wrote:When you graduate, you'll likely end up in a job making $60,000.
That is very, very wildly optimistic for the "likely" scenario out of GSU. More likely would be very small law or something in the government and making like $40-$45,000. If he lands a legal job at all.
Okay, so not it's not "likely" statistically speaking, but it's close enough for this purpose. It's the median reported salary for employed GA State grads on LST.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun May 18, 2014 11:42 pm

HRomanus wrote:
sundontshine wrote:
HRomanus wrote:When you graduate, you'll likely end up in a job making $60,000.
Okay, so not it's not "likely" statistically speaking, but it's close enough for this purpose. It's the median reported salary for employed GA State grads on LST.
You shouldn't be giving advice until you retake.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Sun May 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:You shouldn't be giving advice until you retake.
What does that have to do with my advice (which, by the way, was that he shouldn't go to GA State)?

victory

Bronze

Post by victory » Sun May 18, 2014 11:54 pm

If you get a job (if) you'll probably be making about what you make now. Don't bother w law school.
TCR.

Law school's not the best option here.

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Mon May 19, 2014 6:44 am

I couldn't find any pertaining to salaries on LST. $60,000 would probably not be outpaced by my current employment, from the people I have talked to. I think on avg. it would take 2-3 years at my job to get the position at $60k. Thing is, I'm not staying for 3 years, I can barely take another week.

I'll end up going to either State or UGA, unless something miraculous happens and I end up at Harvard but that won't happen! Just a timing issue here as well as a retake. Retake being the most daunting. Also, not having debt does factor in to my decision and I'm not fantasizing about BigLaw, if I get to that great if not, great.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm

If you scored that much below your practice tests and are really set on becoming a lawyer, study for a retake and aim for UGA.

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Sat May 31, 2014 11:11 am

I think I will be retaking it, I can't live with scoring that low knowing I was PTing much higher. I just hyped it up too much. From my family to friends they all just hype it up and that brings extra pressure so when I did make a mistake or couldn't get through a game (my best section) it completely shattered my concentration, immediately thought life was over.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat May 31, 2014 11:32 am

We all agree GA State is a bad financial decision for you at this time. But more worrisome is that your biggest reason for going to school is that you hate your job. Do you have any reason to believe you won't hate being a lawyer just as much or more?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat May 31, 2014 11:42 am

Being a lawyer in most cases sucks. All entry level jobs suck. You got a decent salary, especially if you aren't in Atlanta. I'd work a year more in this job, find people that have had your job gained skills and moved on to greener pastures, and get in touch with them. 3 years of law school is hell. GA state wont get you any legal job you don't hate. Get some skills in your current job and move on. Or is that not a viable option?

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Sat May 31, 2014 12:35 pm

No my job sucking has no bearing on me going to law school really. Sometimes it'll play tricks on my head especially with insane commute I have but making emotionally unstable decision is something I try to maximally avoid. I have had my plan for going for years on end but also given the amount of advice about taking some time and working I decided to postpone and do that. Had 2 good job opportunities (technically my current job is decent but just not my cup of tea) and the previous job I had. Now, with a stronger resume, stronger rec letters (hopefully) and eventually stronger LSAT score it'll be time to make the transition. Granted, my employer has a very active legal department I would also love to talk to them about opportunities in there, even if it means starting low. But I'm not sure how things work in those situations. I know a few people from the company that transitioned over after law school.

I agree that GA State is not a smart decision and considering I never wanted to go there in the first place should be out of the question, I feel like that has a high chance of putting me in misery. I think UGA for GA is a solid choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”