Would it hurt to apply with current score and retake in Sept Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Would it hurt to apply with current score and retake in Sept

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sun May 11, 2014 12:10 am

I have a 153 and may get into some lower tier schools with that score, the again I may not. I'm not even sure if I still have time for admission in the coming fall semester, but if I do would it be ok to apply, take the rejections and apply again when my score goes up after my retake? I was at least 10 points below my best practice scores so I know I can do better.

Will a rejection spoil it for me? Or will they look at a second application with fresh eyes?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: Would it hurt to apply with current score and retake in Sept

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun May 11, 2014 12:19 am

The intersection of "schools who will take you with a 153" and "schools who will still let you apply in May" probably doesn't include any schools you'd really want to go to, so even if you "win" (i.e. get accepted), you still lose. Even if a September retake nets you an identical score, you're still better off using it to apply early for next cycle, rather than extremely late this cycle.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sun May 11, 2014 12:26 am

ScottRiqui wrote:The intersection of "schools who will take you with a 153" and "schools who will still let you apply in May" probably doesn't include any schools you'd really want to go to, so even if you "win" (i.e. get accepted), you still lose. Even if a September retake nets you an identical score, you're still better off using it to apply early for next cycle, rather than extremely late this cycle.
My goals are such that I don't mind going to a crappy school. My only real desire for a higher score is

1. Better my chances of getting accepted overall

2. Money for a good score.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:The intersection of "schools who will take you with a 153" and "schools who will still let you apply in May" probably doesn't include any schools you'd really want to go to, so even if you "win" (i.e. get accepted), you still lose. Even if a September retake nets you an identical score, you're still better off using it to apply early for next cycle, rather than extremely late this cycle.
My goals are such that I don't mind going to a crappy school. My only real desire for a higher score is

1. Better my chances of getting accepted overall

2. Money for a good score.
Waiting until next cycle is still your best bet. If you get a higher score, you'll get more money from the crappy schools (or maybe not end up at a crappy school at all). Even with an identical score, you'll get your acceptance(s) before all the grant & scholarship money has been spent.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Sun May 11, 2014 5:10 pm

I believe OP is considering applying in the fall, not right now?

If you scored 10 points below where you think you are capable of, then you definitely need to retake. No, schools won't mind, as it is in their best interest rankings-wise to accept students with higher LSAT scores.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”