Should I Retake? 176/3.1 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I retake?

Yes, retake and aim for a 180.
15%
No, just give up on NYU and apply for Fordham.
11%
No, try NYU ED.
63%
No, apply to other schools not too far away from NYC.
11%

Total votes: 27

Clearly

Gold

Re: Should I Retake? 176/3.1

Post by Clearly » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:01 am

Splitter1415 wrote:PrideandGlory1776,

Northwestern seems like a great school. If I had the freedom of moving out of NYC, I would consider applying.

Clearly,

I get your point. It seems impossible.

Nucky,

Thank you. If I don't get into NYU, I'll apply to other schools. Maybe I can get some scholarship offers? Fordham is my second choice.
I think NYU is possible particularly with ED, but PLEASE don't retake. A boost wouldn't really help you, and you run a serious risk of decreasing.

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:07 am

I took two practice tests yesterday and got 2-3 questions wrong. I didn't understand some words, so I guess I have to expand my vocabulary.

Clearly,

I'm too exhausted to study for the LSAT again. There's not much time left for me after waiting tables for 40 hours/week and taking 9 credits in school. It's funny how your icon says retake and now you are telling me not to retake 8)

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:28 am

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49 am

FuriousDuck,

Good morning! I might have a few legit reasons explaining my low GPA, but a 3.1 is still a 3.1. My senior college GPA is around 3.5, so it's not that great, either. I'll apply to other schools if I don't get into NYU. I know NYU doesn't give much boost for ED applicants, but I believe I have a better shot compared to applying RD. I live very close to Columbia, so getting in is my dream. I appreciate every single piece advice given to me here, but it's really hard to take every single one seriously. Now I am lost again.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:23 am

FWIW, I was WL'ed at NYU with a 2.8/179 + good work experience. Our numbers are functionally equivalent for median purposes. I think you'd have a good shot to get in, either through direct acceptance or off of the waitlist. I'm not going to be bothering with WL's because I got a scholarship at one of my top choices, but I would imagine that a high LSAT would be a definite boost in the WL process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:06 pm

kcdc1,

Congratulations on getting a scholarship at one of your top choice schools! I guess we're not really equivalent because I don't have any real work experience. I worked at a factory examining soy sauce bottle caps back home. Since I moved here, I've worked as a housekeeper, a babysitter, a hostess, and a waitress. Maybe I won't even be waitlisted. I don't have any strong softs. Does working as a career server at a Michelin starred restaurant matter? Probably not.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Splitter1415 wrote:kcdc1,

Congratulations on getting a scholarship at one of your top choice schools! I guess we're not really equivalent because I don't have any real work experience. I worked at a factory examining soy sauce bottle caps back home. Since I moved here, I've worked as a housekeeper, a babysitter, a hostess, and a waitress. Maybe I won't even be waitlisted. I don't have any strong softs. Does working as a career server at a Michelin starred restaurant matter? Probably not.
This sounds like one awesome personal statement in the making! Best of luck!

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Clearly,

I don't know what to write. I don't want the admission people who read my statement to feel sorry for me just because I came from the outcast in my country and worked those jobs. I'm pretty happy and don't really want to focus on my past.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Splitter1415 wrote:Clearly,

I don't know what to write. I don't want the admission people who read my statement to feel sorry for me just because I came from the outcast in my country and worked those jobs. I'm pretty happy and don't really want to focus on my past.
Acknowledging/embracing that your past has brought you to where you are today isn't a bad thing or manipulative. I rarely, if ever, suggest that somebody should speak to an admissions consultant. But if anybody would benefit, it is you. Tell somebody your story and let them tease out your narrative. It's a sales pitch and doesn't have to mean that you're focusing on your past.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Splitter1415 wrote:kcdc1,

It sounds like you have a great story to tell. Law schools are looking for someone that is hard-working, curious, and intelligent. On the intelligence front, your LSAT score speaks for itself. And it sounds like your background will provide a great narrative that demonstrates your drive and passion.

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:21 pm

jenesaislaw,

I have spoken to an admission consultant and am thinking of his service in the near future.
It's very costly, though. Thank you.

kcdc1,

I just hope there's no Japanese in the admission committee at NYU. They have one Japanese American professor. I'm pretty sure I'm an auto reject if he takes a look at my application. Please wish me luck, I hope they value my LSAT score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”