NYC market: NYLS (FULL RIDE) or BLS (50% Scholarship) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What would you choose?

Brooklyn Law School (28K Scholarship)
20%
New York Law School (Full Ride Scholarship)
22%
Hofstra Law School (Full Ride Scholarship)
59%

Total votes: 41

chipotle123

New

NYC market: NYLS (FULL RIDE) or BLS (50% Scholarship)

Post by chipotle123 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 pm

I have been doing my due diligence for about a month now and just thought it would be a good idea to gather whatever insights I can from this forum. I have a full merit scholarship to New York Law School and 28k a year at Brooklyn law school.

I have a CPA and am thinking of getting into Tax law, Estate planning or Real Estate. I know what kind of job I want after graduation plays a big role in the decision (Big law vs. Small, Etc.) but I'm not quite sure what I want that job to be exactly.

Any advice?

transferror

Silver

Re: NYC market: NYLS (FULL RIDE) or BLS (50% Scholarship)

Post by transferror » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:07 pm

1) Retake is going to be the majority response, as it should be.

2) What are the stipulations on your scholarships? Brooklyn's is usually particularly awful if I remember correctly.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 pm

What are your stats (LSAT/GPA)?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:09 pm

if you can pass the CPA exam you can do better on the LSAT

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Edited: Good luck to the OP, sincerely.
Last edited by secondshot on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 pm

secondshot wrote:You're going to find on TLS there are those that attain a 170+ and gain access to T14, and there are those who do not, and should just be quiet. If you do ask about a school under T14 you will inevitably be told to retake, it's just the way it is. That's my personal conclusion. God forbid you have decided to go anywhere besides a T14 due to your own personal circumstances and have anything below a 170. Because you will always hear the same exact response and rhetoric: retake.

I'm not saying it's the wrong response, just saying it's inevitable around here. You do not have the free will to keep your score if below 170 and you certainly do not have the free will to choose any school that is not in the T14. It's TLS law, good or bad, it's just the way it is.

So anyone out there considering asking if any school under T14 is right for you and your score is under 170, save your breath.

I have learned my lesson. :)
This is absolutely not what TLS consensus is and if that is what you have deduced then you need to go back and read the arguments made for the "retake" response. In fact the general trend now is TLS advising against T14 when compared to regionals at big discounts.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 pm

secondshot wrote:You're going to find on TLS there are those that attain a 170+ and gain access to T14, and there are those who do not, and should just be quiet. If you do ask about a school under T14 you will inevitably be told to retake, it's just the way it is. That's my personal conclusion. God forbid you have decided to go anywhere besides a T14 due to your own personal circumstances and have anything below a 170. Because you will always hear the same exact response and rhetoric: retake.

I'm not saying it's the wrong response, just saying it's inevitable around here. You do not have the free will to keep your score if below 170 and you certainly do not have the free will to choose any school that is not in the T14. It's TLS law, good or bad, it's just the way it is.

So anyone out there considering asking if any school under T14 is right for you and your score is under 170, save your breath.

No. T14 or strong/best regional with $$ in the region you want to work. No one is telling someone with a large scholarship to Alabama who wants to work small law in Birmingham to retake for t14. We're also not telling anyone to attend a school where less than half its graduates become lawyers.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/newyork/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/brooklyn/2013/
Last edited by californiauser on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 pm

drevo wrote:

This is absolutely not what TLS consensus is and if that is what you have deduced then you need to go back and read the arguments made for the "retake" response. In fact the general trend now is TLS advising against T14 when compared to regionals at big discounts.
I guess I should have clarified, this is in relation to scores more than T14 opposed to regionals at a discount. Here's the thing. If I score a 163 and get a substantial discount at a regional that's still in the top 100, it's almost guaranteed I will be told to retake, right? So I think you might have missed my point. It's either 170+, or it's a retake. Just look around, it's in every single thread where someone is under 170 and considering a decent regional.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:18 pm

This is dumb and you should feel dumb. I never broke 170 (on three takes), my choosing thread was 5 pages long, and not a single person told me to retake.

The OP probably should retake because if he/she has only managed to get a half ride to a bad law school, he/she probably doesn't have the numbers to make attending law school worthwhile (yet?). However, if the OP comes back and says he wants to work in estate planning at his friend's/family's small firm, I don't think TLS is going to suggest he/she go to a T14. If the OP comes back and says they still want the option of big law, of course they will be told to retake.

The advice is always catered towards a) giving the OP the best chance at snagging the job they want and b) helping the OP not drown in debt. It's not because posters here want more people to go to Harvard. A lot of the more vocal retake crowd don't/didn't go to T14s, myself included.

So stop adhoming strawmen bro

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:20 pm

NYLS is a school that has been found to be unethical in its employment statistics in a lawsuit by former students. They were found to have published claims that were so preposterous no one could have reasonably relied on them.
It costs as much or more than the best schools in the country.

Honestly, I can't recommend that you go there.

With all the law schools in NYC area, why only these two?

You have another profession, you should wait a year and figure out this process and then come at it in a more educated approach. Neither of these schools will get you where you might want to be in the future if you are looking at biglaw firms. I don't know about small law firms, but the market is extremely crowded.

What salary are you thinking you will make out of law school?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:21 pm

secondshot wrote:
drevo wrote:

I guess I should have clarified, this is in relation to scores more than T14 opposed to regionals at a discount. Here's the thing. If I score a 163 and get a substantial discount at a regional that's still in the top 100, it's almost guaranteed I will be told to retake, right? So I think you might have missed my point. It's either 170+, or it's a retake. Just look around, it's in every single thread where someone is under 170 and considering a decent regional.
No. If someone has a full ride to the strongest regional they can go to and has modest career goals then no one is going to tell them to retake to hit some arbitrary high score.

If someone has a good enough score to go to UCLA on a full ride and they want to be a prosecutor in LA of course they will get TLS' blessing to go. Me personally I might suggest a retake to snag Berkeley and especially HYS because that might be better in the long run for the OP but its not like they will be hit with a chorus of retakes.

secondshot

New

Post by secondshot » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Yep, I definitely wasn't articulate here. I was really harping on the score, not as much about T14. I tried to make an exaggerated point and failed. My bad. :)

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:49 am

Both options stink, but if you must have one of these, then don't pay tuition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:59 am

Nyls doesn't even have regional cachet though. The best thing I've heard said about the school is that sometimes employers mistake it for NYU. I wouldn't go to law school if I were you. The chance of a non-legal career or a doc review outcome from those schools is way too high.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:30 am

Brooklyn at half off is too expensive
NYLS for free is too expensive

vlshort3955

New

Post by vlshort3955 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 am

In the voting prompt, theres the option to vote for Hofstra full scholly. Wy didn't you dont propose this as an option in your post? I think Hofstra full is better than NYLS full.

chipotle123 wrote:I have been doing my due diligence for about a month now and just thought it would be a good idea to gather whatever insights I can from this forum. I have a full merit scholarship to New York Law School and 28k a year at Brooklyn law school.

I have a CPA and am thinking of getting into Tax law, Estate planning or Real Estate. I know what kind of job I want after graduation plays a big role in the decision (Big law vs. Small, Etc.) but I'm not quite sure what I want that job to be exactly.

Any advice?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 am

^ in fact, I voted for Hofstra.

But again, all these schools stink.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Retake

chipotle123

New

Post by chipotle123 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:02 am

Brettanomyces wrote:What are your stats (LSAT/GPA)?

3.45 and 159

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:10 am

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 am

chipotle123 wrote:

3.45 and 159
Are you willing to leave NYC for school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 am

Can you live at home while attending Hofstra, therefore avoiding loans altogether? That is the most defensible option out of all three. But I say retake.

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 am

transferror wrote:
2) What are the stipulations on your scholarships? Brooklyn's is usually particularly awful if I remember correctly.

Brooklyn used to have a reputation for having ridiculous stips, but I think that they have started moving away from that. I believe that it is now just top 80%. Of course, Brooklyn also explicitly says that they cannot guarantee that there will be enough funding to renew the scholarship every year, so it is possible to loose all or part of the scholarship even if you meet all of the stips.

chipotle123

New

Post by chipotle123 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:06 pm

transferror wrote:1) Retake is going to be the majority response, as it should be.

In the case of Brooklyn's scholarship, I have to remain in the top 80% of my class each year. I also tried to negotiate more scholarship from Brooklyn about a month ago and they said no. So two questions:

1) Would it be alright to request again since deposit deadlines have passed, and if so what's the best way to ask again?

2) How hard is it to transfer from any of the schools in the poll (Hofstra, NYLS, BLS) to a Fordham, NYU or Columbia? I'm assuming it is very difficult but is it do-able?

chipotle123

New

Post by chipotle123 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:07 pm

transferror wrote:
chipotle123 wrote:

3.45 and 159
Are you willing to leave NYC for school?

No I would really rather not and I could live at home if I really wanted to

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”