Attending Admitted Student Day Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jstep

New

Attending Admitted Student Day

Post by jstep » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:00 pm

How beneficial or necessary is it to the attend admitted student day at a school that you're sure you'll be attending (and that you've paid a deposit for already)?

Is it important to meet the other students and faculty here? Does anyone remember those who attended and those who didn't? Is it a crucial time to begin the face-to-face relationship with professors and administrators?

It's going to be difficult with my current job and other commitments to attend, though I've been planning on it for weeks. However, if it is more of an event to convince me to attend, I'm not sure it's worth it. Any information would be very helpful!

sims1

Bronze

Re: Attending Admitted Student Day

Post by sims1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 pm

It's pretty enjoyable and a good way to learn more about the school and what its like to go there. If you are already decided where you will its not as important.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 pm

jstep wrote:How beneficial or necessary is it to the attend admitted student day at a school that you're sure you'll be attending (and that you've paid a deposit for already)?

Is it important to meet the other students and faculty here? Does anyone remember those who attended and those who didn't? Is it a crucial time to begin the face-to-face relationship with professors and administrators?

It's going to be difficult with my current job and other commitments to attend, though I've been planning on it for weeks. However, if it is more of an event to convince me to attend, I'm not sure it's worth it. Any information would be very helpful!
Not necessary at all. And definitely not "crucial."

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm

I didn't attend any for undergrad (and don't regret it) and don't plan to attend any law school ASDs. I realize the importance but obviously a lot of what you're going to see is, mostly, a charade.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 pm

ASW is mostly to convince you to attend

They just rub your tummy for a couple days

Youll have plenty of time to get acquainted during orientation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:18 pm

In addition to the obvious benefits of meeting classmates and getting a feel for the school, you get free beer at a lot of them. Open bars don't come around often. If you get a travel stipend especially, stay a few extra days and explore a new area. I checked out Coastal Maine after Harvard's abd Yosemite after Berkeley. Not necessary but all fun as hell.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:15 am

I think its generally a good idea to visit the school, but the only reason to visit on an ASD or whatever is to get the travel stipend. Otherwise they're basically just filling you with a bunch of (probably misleading) information meant to show off the school, all of which you can mostly find on the internet. You could argue its good to meet your potential classmates, but there is no guarantee anyone you meet will actually end up attending. Its probably better to talk to current students, but you can do that on any visit.

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:24 am

i think its a good idea to go.

i visited a school next to the beach. heard of stories about how awesome that place was and stuff. and while i can see why people would love it there, it just didn't click with me, at all. i withdrew my admission the next day. it just wasn't the place for me. but i wouldn't know unless i went and saw it for myself.

and no you prob won't remember anyone. so if you are looking to meet people, i guess that's not the event for that. but you get good information on current student life, which might help you decide if you wanna put down that deposit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”