negotiating aid in person? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2014entering2014

New

negotiating aid in person?

Post by 2014entering2014 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:54 pm

how would you guys go about negotiating aid in person? how would you prepare for the conversation?

Cicero76

Silver

Re: negotiating aid in person?

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Seems awkward

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:28 am

Just do bring paper and a fountain pen with you and do the thing where you slide your offer across the table to the dean with a wink bro

bobloblaw0227

New

Post by bobloblaw0227 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Have you already sent a reconsideration letter in? I've talked to multiple deans at different schools and they have all told me to just send an email attaching other offers. I think it helps to put a face with your name. All the reconsideration letters I sent in without talking to the dean were shot down almost instantly (stips were dropped, but no more money) while the few where the deans have met me are still under consideration (for whatever that is worth).

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Friend lives close to a lower-tier school and he went in person to negotiate from sticker to a half scholarship. He had visited before, did a tour, sat on a class, and has regularly expressed interest in the school. Like the majority of schools, it really needs the students, and it takes bravado to bring up negotiation while sitting in front of an admissions person, so maybe that helped his cause. But I suppose it could be viewed as a bad thing by another ad com.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HOS

Bronze

Post by HOS » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:12 pm

I actually did this, recently. I happened to be at the school visiting and wanted to raise the subject with the Dean in person. It was awkward, to tell the true, but I'm glad I did it because it allowed me to get my point across and judge the reaction. Also, I made it clear I wasn't there to negotiate; I was there to begin the process of negotiating. In other words, I didn't say "School X has given me more so what you gonna do about it?". I said "I have other offers and wanted to know what would be the right way to go about discussing it".

They know law school is expensive and that finances play a roll in decision making, so don't be afraid to bring it up. Having said that, do come armed with data. What's the difference in COL between the choices you're looking at; how does the school's program play to your goals; etc.?

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 pm

This
HOS wrote: I didn't say "School X has given me more so what you gonna do about it?". I said "I have other offers and wanted to know what would be the right way to go about discussing it".
Because this

Cicero76 wrote: Seems It will be awkward
Dean Perez

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Blank stare - um we'll be getting back to you real soon ... awkward silence ... take care ... slowly exit room ... another awkward glance to top off the incredibly awkward exchange. #AvoidtheAwkwardness#UseEmail

deegol

New

Post by deegol » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:03 pm

North wrote:Just do bring paper and a fountain pen with you and do the thing where you slide your offer across the table to the dean with a wink bro
:lol: :lol: :lol: I just spilled my coffee!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”