Lying on Personal Statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zxlthebus

New

Lying on Personal Statement?

Post by zxlthebus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Has anyone lied before on any part of their application but then felt so guilty that they fessed up to the admissions council before they either rendered a decision, or after they accepted the person?

If so, did they forgive you? Or I guess most importantly, did you think you'd get hit with a LSAC misconduct notice, even if you showed how sorry you were?
Last edited by zxlthebus on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Re: Lying on Personal Statement?

Post by justonemoregame » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Depends on what you're lying about. C&F - could be an issue. Personal statement - everyone probably lies to some degree

manillabay

Bronze

Post by manillabay » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:03 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Depends on what you're lying about. C&F - could be an issue. Personal statement - everyone probably lies to some degree
Disagree with this. Most of the PS's I've read from the people that I know have been completely honest. I'd recommend not lying, but if you do lie you'll probably get away with it. Here's thing thing though: lying may not affect you with this, but if you continue lying on even small things like this (this really isn't small, though), you will eventually lie on more important things. I've seen this happen to many of my friends and especially my sister. She used to always lie growing up, and she kept this habit as she grew older. She lost her job because of it.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:36 pm

Lol. Personally, I wouldn't lie. It's a bad start to becoming an attorney, where professionalism is a necessary condition for retaining your license to practice. That being said, a little exaggeration on your PS won't hurt or get you into any shit. Just don't fake activities or events that would raise an eyebrow & are easily fact checkable.

ADMITTING you lied, whoa, then you're fucked. If there's one thing top law schools take seriously, it's academic dishonesty. If you feel such an overwhelming sense of moral compulsion, just withdraw and reapply, or don't go to that school, or realize that the adcoms DGAF and probably only skimmed it unless your GPA/LSAT was within a certain margin of their medians.

hiltopp01

New

Post by hiltopp01 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:48 am

Embellishing=/=lying. how boring would movies based on true stories be if they were completely factual?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:49 pm

zxlthebus wrote:Has anyone lied before on their personal statement, or any part of their application, but then felt so guilty that they fessed up to the admissions council before they either rendered a decision, or after they accepted the person?

If so, did they forgive you? Or I guess most importantly, did you think you'd get hit with a LSAC misconduct notice, even if you showed how sorry you were?
What did you lie about OP?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:43 pm

North wrote:
zxlthebus wrote:Has anyone lied before on their personal statement, or any part of their application, but then felt so guilty that they fessed up to the admissions council before they either rendered a decision, or after they accepted the person?

And feel free to use the lingo commonly found on drug forums - SWIM (someone who I met)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:51 pm

I for one am totally screwed if the C&F bar ever finds out I wasn't actually "looking forward to becoming a Blue Devil."

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Seoulless wrote:
North wrote:

And feel free to use the lingo commonly found on drug forums - SWIM (someone who I met)
... Someone who isn't me...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I for one am totally screwed if the C&F bar ever finds out I wasn't actually "looking forward to becoming a Blue Devil."
despicable
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iroh

Bronze

Post by Iroh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:15 am

I don't know of anybody who ever ratted themselves out to their law school because they felt guilty. I know a few folks that have, ahem, clarified some matters on their application to their school (while they were already attending), because they were afraid they would get caught during C&F and hoped they would look better if they 'fessed up sooner rather than later. No idea how that turned out for them. In their cases, they could plead ignorance. If you flat-out lied, and it was obvious that it was deliberate, then I don't see how there could be any hope for you.

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:53 am

LOLWUT. :lol:

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 am

If by lying you mean embellishing what something meant to you/taught you, then it's probably fine. If you mean making up something that just factually didn't happen, then that's pretty shitty.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:03 am

Clearly wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
North wrote:

Fuck. I know I 99% had it wrong but was too lazy to find out what it really meant. Now I feel retarded.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:55 am

manillabay wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Depends on what you're lying about. C&F - could be an issue. Personal statement - everyone probably lies to some degree
Here's thing thing though: lying may not affect you with this, but if you continue lying on even small things like this (this really isn't small, though), you will eventually lie on more important things. I've seen this happen to many of my friends and especially my sister. She used to always lie growing up, and she kept this habit as she grew older. She lost her job because of it.
^ this! absolute truth to real life stuff

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Fuck. I know I 99% had it wrong but was too lazy to find out what it really meant. Now I feel retarded.[/quote]

I prefer reading stories about someone's dog or cat or tortoise over swimming.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:37 pm

*pulls out popcorn*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:47 pm

just put jk at the end in small print just in case

burner

New

Post by burner » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I for one am totally screwed if the C&F bar ever finds out I wasn't actually "looking forward to becoming a Blue Devil."
+1

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:43 am

burner wrote:
+1
+3.14

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”