LOCI and Press Releases Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Winter is Coming

Bronze

LOCI and Press Releases

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:37 am

Short version: I'm in this cycle at some great lower t14 schools but have been put on the waitlist and Columbia, Michigan, Virginia and Duke.

I currently work in a law enforcement job and my agency has put out a few press releases on major cases that I've worked on over the past few months where I am specifically named.

I've already written about my work in my personal statement, what are people's thoughts as to maybe including copies of some of these releases as part of my LOCI for the school's that I'm waitlisted at (obnoxious/go for it/non-factor)?

Ramius

Gold

Re: LOCI and Press Releases

Post by Ramius » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:56 am

Were you named specifically in the press releases for having worked these cases? Were they a big deal that had a big impact on your field? We're you a principal contributor or just the gopher who got coffee for the real workers? If these press releases show impressive work on your part specifically, it might be worthwhile to show them how you're capable of succeeding in your field. I'm not sure it'll be any sort of game changer, but I think it could be conceivable to be akin to some sort of award received, promotion, etc. and could look good in the adcomms eyes.

Just my $0.02.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:05 am

Yeah, they are for specific cases that worked, and I'm specifically named. Usually in a "The ______ would like to thank (my title and name) for their invaluable assistance in prosecuting this matter" context near the end with some other acknowledgments.

I know that its not going to be a game changer at all, I was more worried about looking obnoxious or pretentious.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 pm

I would do it. It seems a lot more likely that someone will be impressed by it and take a closer look at your application than say, "Well, we were going to let him/her in, but after reading about all their invaluable assistance for a federal agency, let's throw this app in the ding pile."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”