Best Law Schools for Born-Again Christians Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Re: Best Law Schools for Born-Again Christians

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:01 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Jesus was a liberal.
What does this even mean?
"It is easier to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven."

-Jesus
I'm not following. Dumb it down for me.

akg144

Bronze

Post by akg144 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:02 am

hdivschool wrote:Among top law schools I would suggest UVA. I know a fair number (~15-20) of evangelical Christians who attend there. Harvard might also work, as there are generally a handful of evangelical Christians since the class sizes are so large.

If you are interested in concurrently studying theology, I would suggest Duke. The other divinity schools in the t14 (Harvard, Yale, Chicago) are all quite liberal. But even at Duke there will be few professors who share your beliefs. Harvard is near Gordon-Conwell (an evangelical seminary), but I'm not sure whether you can do a joint degree between the two.
This is great advice I think we have the finest institution for theological studies in the world - most people would say we've eclipsed Yale Div and Princeton Theological Seminary in terms of our overall quality and rigor of our scholarship as well as scholarly citations. I don't believe we have a single professor who doesn't have a Duke, Yale, Princeton or Oxford PhD everyone is brilliant and you can't help but be amazed by the sheer breadth of their knowledge it's incredible! If your interested in studying Law/Ethics/Theology/Religion etc. it could be a great place to go.

Duke Divinity is also a very faithful community - we all take a required year long spiritual formation class, have 2 required field ed placements serving the Church or CPE and begin every class with prayer. However just FYI there are no fundamentalist here so evolutionary anthropology, secular fields like sociology and neuroscience are often assigned readings and fair game just so you know and historical-critical scholarship is very important here so for example you'll find out that the 2 Tim quote you gave earlier wasn't written by the Apostle Paul but rather by a later unknown author "Pseudo-Paul" (as were the other pastoral epistles and possibly Eph. and Col. as well -- there's only 7 undisputed epistles in the Pauline corpus). Likewise you'll find out in your first year Old Testament survey class that Genesis doesn't have 1 but 2 "creation" accounts that were later redacted by the Deuteronmist in the 5th century during the Bablynonian exile who later combined J+E+D+P into what is the Pentatuch (or perhaps some scholars now suggest the Hexatuch with Joshua perhaps included in the earliest historical-critical redactionary corpus). You'll also learn all about the "synoptic problem" in NT and the different periods of scholacastism in Church History and more than you ever wanted to know about Augustinian and Thomistic thought (fyi Augustine and Thomas Aquinas are mentioned in just about every lecture so prepare yourself). So overall historical-critical scholarship is front and center at Duke Div and although you may not think you would appreciate it I think it will rather expand your faith (a la fides quaerens intellectum faith seeking understanding or perhaps Duke's motto eruditio et religio) I would highly recommend a visit - I think you'd bee pleasantly surprised by the richness of this community.

Lastly JD/M.Div or JD/MTS seems like a no-brainer for what your trying to accomplish so consider taking the GRE in addition to the LSAT and apply to Yale, Duke, Vanderbilt and Emory all of which have fantastic programs in both programs.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:07 am

jchiles wrote:
You're a moron./quote]

Can you elaborate? I honestly don't know what you're getting at
Your conflation of libertarianism with conservatism is unfounded.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:11 am

WTF is this thread?

Tag, I guess

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:20 am

BigZuck wrote:WTF is this thread?

Tag, I guess

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:22 am

akg144 wrote:So overall historical-critical scholarship is front and center at Duke Div and although you may not think you would appreciate it I think it will rather expand your faith (a la fides quaerens intellectum faith seeking understanding or perhaps Duke's motto eruditio et religio) I would highly recommend a visit - I think you'd bee pleasantly surprised by the richness of this community.
It's nice that you're trying to help frame this user's faith in the larger context of known history and religious scholarship.
Commendable.
Isn't it obvious that he/she is not ready for it, at this stage of his/her life?
It's so much easier to disregard contemporary biblical analysis, because it's all written by liberals with agendas, than to open your mind and heart.
If OP was looking for a richness of community he/she would not have so many limitations about which school is the right one.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:23 am

akg144 wrote:
hdivschool wrote:Among top law schools I would suggest UVA. I know a fair number (~15-20) of evangelical Christians who attend there. Harvard might also work, as there are generally a handful of evangelical Christians since the class sizes are so large.

If you are interested in concurrently studying theology, I would suggest Duke. The other divinity schools in the t14 (Harvard, Yale, Chicago) are all quite liberal. But even at Duke there will be few professors who share your beliefs. Harvard is near Gordon-Conwell (an evangelical seminary), but I'm not sure whether you can do a joint degree between the two.
This is great advice I think we have the finest institution for theological studies in the world - most people would say we've eclipsed Yale Div and Princeton Theological Seminary in terms of our overall quality and rigor of our scholarship as well as scholarly citations. I don't believe we have a single professor who doesn't have a Duke, Yale, Princeton or Oxford PhD everyone is brilliant and you can't help but be amazed by the sheer breadth of their knowledge it's incredible! If your interested in studying Law/Ethics/Theology/Religion etc. it could be a great place to go.

Duke Divinity is also a very faithful community - we all take a required year long spiritual formation class, have 2 required field ed placements serving the Church or CPE and begin every class with prayer. However just FYI there are no fundamentalist here so evolutionary anthropology, secular fields like sociology and neuroscience are often assigned readings and fair game just so you know and historical-critical scholarship is very important here so for example you'll find out that the 2 Tim quote you gave earlier wasn't written by the Apostle Paul but rather by a later unknown author "Pseudo-Paul" (as were the other pastoral epistles and possibly Eph. and Col. as well -- there's only 7 undisputed epistles in the Pauline corpus). Likewise you'll find out in your first year Old Testament survey class that Genesis doesn't have 1 but 2 "creation" accounts that were later redacted by the Deuteronmist in the 5th century during the Bablynonian exile who later combined J+E+D+P into what is the Pentatuch (or perhaps some scholars now suggest the Hexatuch with Joshua perhaps included in the earliest historical-critical redactionary corpus). You'll also learn all about the "synoptic problem" in NT and the different periods of scholacastism in Church History and more than you ever wanted to know about Augustinian and Thomistic thought (fyi Augustine and Thomas Aquinas are mentioned in just about every lecture so prepare yourself). So overall historical-critical scholarship is front and center at Duke Div and although you may not think you would appreciate it I think it will rather expand your faith (a la fides quaerens intellectum faith seeking understanding or perhaps Duke's motto eruditio et religio) I would highly recommend a visit - I think you'd bee pleasantly surprised by the richness of this community.

Lastly JD/M.Div or JD/MTS seems like a no-brainer for what your trying to accomplish so consider taking the GRE in addition to the LSAT and apply to Yale, Duke, Vanderbilt and Emory all of which have fantastic programs in both programs.
Yeah, what he said.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:26 am

sublime wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_communism

I am sure you can find more information on google as well.
Okay, I read a little. If Jesus was a liberal --> Jesus was retarded.

Though it seems abundantly clear that Jesus was not a liberal (as you define it).
Last edited by FattyMcFatFat on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:28 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
sublime wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

Jesus would have hated capitalism, he criticized the rich, he focused on the poor. Pretty much your standard definition of a liberal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:31 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
sublime wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

Jesus would have hated capitalism, he criticized the rich, he focused on the poor. Pretty much your standard definition of a liberal.
Capitalism is consistent with charity, liberalism (and especially the communism which your link discusses) is not. I'm not following.
Last edited by FattyMcFatFat on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:31 am

Last edited by sublime on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:32 am

That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
FattyMcFatFat wrote:Capitalism is consistent with charity, liberalism is not. I'm not following.
I'm still lol'ing.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:34 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Not exactly sure what this refers to, but this is what I initially thought (though did not say) when I read your "Jesus was a liberal" comment. Different strokes and stuff I guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:36 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Not exactly sure what this refers to, but this is what I initially thought (though did not say) when I read your "Jesus was a liberal" comment. Different strokes and stuff I guess.
Yeah you're strokes are just very dumb. The entire life and teachings of Jesus focused on criticizing things conservatives hold most dear.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:37 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:Capitalism is consistent with charity, liberalism is not. I'm not following.
I'm still lol'ing.
Few things bring joy to my heart like the thought of the mentally handicapped laughing. The world needs more of this.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:37 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Yeah you're strokes are just very dumb. The entire life and teachings of Jesus focused on criticizing things conservatives hold most dear.
What do conservatives hold most dear?

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 am

Doesn't God hate lawyers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 am

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 am

sublime wrote:
capt_slow wrote:Doesn't God hate lawyers?

Probably, but would you blame him/her/it?
Good point.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:46 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Pursuit of wealth is probably 9 of the top ten values so I would say that alone outs Jesus on the side of the liberals. He was also pro taxes. See Jesus on what is owed to Caesar.

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:48 am

I knew there was a reason that I was going to hell, now I know... I hate paying taxes!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:50 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Pursuit of wealth is probably 9 of the top ten values so I would say that alone outs Jesus on the side of the liberals. He was also pro taxes. See Jesus on what is owed to Caesar.
I'm no biblical scholar, but if you're referring to his assertion that one ought "give Caesar what belongs to Ceasar," your assertion that he was "pro taxes" is egregious equivocation. Perhaps you have some other biblical reference in mind?

Also, all black people are criminals. See what I did there?

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
"It is easier to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven."

-Jesus
I'm not following. Dumb it down for me.
Great, now I have to give up all of my money, too... This is not working for me Jesus.

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 am

So wait... Is President Obama really Jesus?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:54 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote: I'm no biblical scholar
That is very clear.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”