n/a Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SSP438

New

n/a

Post by SSP438 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi
Last edited by SSP438 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Re: arrest addendum - 4 arrests.

Post by Dingo Starr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm

What are your numbers?
You'll be accepted somewhere.

SSP438

New

Post by SSP438 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:01 pm

n/a
Last edited by SSP438 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Talk to a C&F lawyer - it looks like New York might not consider an arrest that ended with a successfully-completed ACD to be an "arrest" at all.

SSP438

New

Post by SSP438 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 pm

"Have you ever been cited for, charged with, taken into custody for, arrested for, indicted, tried for, pled guilty to, or convicted of, the violation of any law (other than a minor traffic violation) or been the subject of a juvenile delinquent or youthful offender proceeding or received a conditional discharge, adjournment in contemplation or dismissal, or pretrial diversionary program? (NOTE: Driving while intoxicated or impaired, driving without insurance, reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, and driving while suspended are not considered minor traffic violations for the purposes of this section). The entry of an expungement or sealing order does not relieve you of the duty to disclose the matter on this statement. You may indicate the existence of such an order in your explanation.
According to the application question below, regardless if it's technically considered an arrest, the fact that i was taken into custody at all"

according to this question from an application, it looks like being taken into custody alone merits listing all my arrests.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:55 pm

SSP438 wrote:"Have you ever been cited for, charged with, taken into custody for, arrested for, indicted, tried for, pled guilty to, or convicted of, the violation of any law (other than a minor traffic violation) or been the subject of a juvenile delinquent or youthful offender proceeding or received a conditional discharge, adjournment in contemplation or dismissal, or pretrial diversionary program? (NOTE: Driving while intoxicated or impaired, driving without insurance, reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, and driving while suspended are not considered minor traffic violations for the purposes of this section). The entry of an expungement or sealing order does not relieve you of the duty to disclose the matter on this statement. You may indicate the existence of such an order in your explanation.
According to the application question below, regardless if it's technically considered an arrest, the fact that i was taken into custody at all"

according to this question from an application, it looks like being taken into custody alone merits listing all my arrests.
Yep, that's why I suggested a C&F lawyer. Depending on which school that's from, there's a chance they're asking questions that they're not technically supposed to ask. But again, either decide right now to disclose everything, or talk to a lawyer.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm

SSP438 wrote:"Have you ever been cited for, charged with, taken into custody for, arrested for, indicted, tried for, pled guilty to, or convicted of, the violation of any law (other than a minor traffic violation) or been the subject of a juvenile delinquent or youthful offender proceeding or received a conditional discharge, adjournment in contemplation or dismissal, or pretrial diversionary program? (NOTE: Driving while intoxicated or impaired, driving without insurance, reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, and driving while suspended are not considered minor traffic violations for the purposes of this section). The entry of an expungement or sealing order does not relieve you of the duty to disclose the matter on this statement. You may indicate the existence of such an order in your explanation.

Every app has different requirements. Many ask for much less. But yes, in that case, you would want to disclose.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Take a look at the one from Boston College

5. Have you ever been convicted of a felony and that conviction has not been vacated?

6. If your answer is Yes, please provide a detailed statement addressing the situation/circumstances.

7. Have you been convicted of any misdemeanor (other than a first conviction of any of these misdemeanors: drunkenness, simple
assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray, or disturbance of the peace) that resulted in your being sentenced to
imprisonment?

8. If your answer is Yes, please provide a detailed statement addressing the situation/circumstances.

9. Have you been convicted within the last five years of a misdemeanor (other than a first conviction of any of these misdemeanors:
drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray, or disturbance of the peace) and that conviction has not been
vacated?

You would barely need to disclose.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:01 pm

John Everyman wrote:

5. Have you ever been convicted of a felony and that conviction has not been vacated?

6. If your answer is Yes, please provide a detailed statement addressing the situation/circumstances.

7. Have you been convicted of any misdemeanor (other than a first conviction of any of these misdemeanors: drunkenness, simple
assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray, or disturbance of the peace) that resulted in your being sentenced to
imprisonment?

8. If your answer is Yes, please provide a detailed statement addressing the situation/circumstances.

9. Have you been convicted within the last five years of a misdemeanor (other than a first conviction of any of these misdemeanors:
drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray, or disturbance of the peace) and that conviction has not been
vacated?

It's a Massachusetts state law thing. Same goes for Harvard. Very loose disclosure questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SSP438

New

Post by SSP438 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:06 pm

John Everyman wrote:

imprisonment?

vacated?

Even as loose as that is, don't you think the school would want to know about the DUI? I just don't want it come back to haunt me when i'm going because the bar.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:12 pm

SSP438 wrote:
John Everyman wrote:

imprisonment?

vacated?

Even as loose as that is, don't you think the school would want to know about the DUI? I just don't want it come back to haunt me when i'm going because the bar.
I'm not a C&F attorney, or an attorney at all for that matter, all I can recommend is you follow the directions as exactly as you can. Was the DUI a felony? Were you imprisoned? Your DUI was reduced to a traffic violation, and was then sealed. Pretty sure to have a record sealed it has to also be vacated, though I could be wrong, maybe call an attorney and ask for clarity on #9, but you might just be golden.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:15 am

You may need guidance in multiple states if the requirements change by state.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”