Chances for T14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soaringeagle88

New

Chances for T14

Post by soaringeagle88 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 am

Hi All,

First off, I want to thank the TLS community for this invaluable resource; I've been pouring over the forums for some time, and the immense library of information that is TLS continues to be incredibly helpful.

After a diagnostic LSAT score of 168, I have decided to hunker down and shoot for a 175+. I've studied many of the posted studyguides here (thanks pithypike!), created my own study plan, and, finally, have ordered my books (not going to take a prep course...ahh!). I would like to know what my chances are for a T14? And would a T7 school be at all realistic?

Currently, I am working as a Legislative Correspondent in the Senate (for those unfamiliar with the Hill, this is a "step-up" from the entry level Staff Assistant position - I get to assist with actual legislation and collaborate with the legislative team). I have been on the Hill for 2 years and have a prior year of campaign experience (actual staff - not just a volunteer).

Stats:
GPA: 3.45 at a T15 undergrad
LSAT GOAL: 175-180
Work Experience: 2 years Congressional experience, 1 year of campaign experience (Senate race)
LOR: strong LORs from professors and my Boss

NOTE: I am working full time and plan on taking the LSAT in October. Thus, my daily studying schedule will be 1-2hours a night and whatever I can fit in during the weekends. If a T7 is out of my league, I will aim for a lower LSAT score and for a T14 school which will reduce my studying load (and stress!).

Thanks for your help in advance, and I apologize for starting another one of those annoying "Chance Me" threads...it's just really helpful to personally hear from you knowledgeable TLSers.

Cheers!

Edit: Also, I have been thinking about part-time programs. However, I have heard mixed reviews regarding my long term goal of practicing law/joining a firm outside of DC. Is this something that I shouldn't pursue and should just stick to full-time programs? I ask, because the LSAT score threshold for part-time programs is much lower than the full-time T14 schools and would greatly affect my LSAT goals.
Last edited by soaringeagle88 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Chances for T14

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:58 am

It all depends on your lsat.

Play with http://www.mylsn.info

soaringeagle88

New

Post by soaringeagle88 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 am

Nova wrote:It all depends on your lsat.

Play with http://www.mylsn.info
Thanks for responding so soon! And yes, I just found mylsn and it has been very helpful.

Do you have any thoughts on part-time vs full-time programs? I've heard more often than not that part-time programs will not be that useful in terms of joining law firms/practicing law outside of DC (if I pursue the part-time option, I'd do it in DC).

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 am

Part time programs are not useful, and fairly rare inside the T14 anyway

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 am

Move to Virginia by August (assuming you can commute easily), get at least a 170, and you're in no problem at UVA. They have instate quotas and instate tuition helps, though you'd have a good shot either way. Get a 168 and you're probably in at gtown.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:45 am

1. A cold diagnostic of 168, assuming it was taken in real conditions, means any score is a realistic goal. Study and come back in three months.
2. It would be more prudent to shoot for the June LSAT. Retaking in October is much better than retaking in December.
3. T7 is not a thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”