Fee waivers still rolling in? Is that weird? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jleighg

New

Fee waivers still rolling in? Is that weird?

Post by jleighg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm still getting sent application waivers from schools... And some are from good schools. Last week I got waivers from Vanderbilt and penn. And I'm not a shoe in candidate. 3.7 and 167.

I'm starting to think that application numbers might be down this year and schools are starting to worry about filling the classrooms.

Anyone know anything about this?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: Fee waivers still rolling in? Is that weird?

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:10 pm

I don't think these schools are worried about filling the classrooms. These schools are worried that they're not dinging enough people to make them look as selective.

With that said, might as well apply! You never know.

Edited: Didn't see your GPA. lol. Vandy most definitely wants you. Penn might fall under the previously mentioned statement.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Applications are way down. Some schools have seen a 50% decline in applications over the last 3-4 years. Schools are likely competing ferociously for strong candidates.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:23 pm

I got waivers from NYU, NU, etc back in January, but I haven't had a waiver from a good school in a few weeks.

On the other hand, I get an unsolicited CRS email with a waiver from some TTT cesspool literally every weekday, for some weeks now.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Also, LSAC apps are down 15% y.o.y. through January. For OP's edification. This is a known fact.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jleighg

New

Post by jleighg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

This is my second cycle. Last cycle, I received waivers probably through August. Of course, most of them were crap... but that's sort of the case throughout the cycle.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:38 pm

More importantly, how do I make them stop??

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:More importantly, how do I make them stop??
You can either individually unsubscribe as they come in, or just unregister for CRS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:35 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
You can either individually unsubscribe as they come in, or just unregister for CRS.
If you have g-mail, and in mood of entertainment, I'd suggest having them filtered to your promotions folder. When in need of a chuckle, I simply turn to the TTTT emails. The greatest one recently was from Ava Marie: "study law in paradise."

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
If you have g-mail, and in mood of entertainment, I'd suggest having them filtered to your promotions folder. When in need of a chuckle, I simply turn to the TTTT emails. The greatest one recently was from Ava Marie: "study law in paradise."
I do this as well, my TTT collection is quite impressive if I do say so myself. :lol:

ojala

New

Post by ojala » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 am

since applications continue to decline, do you guys think it would be worth reaching out to schools who initially rejected my fee waiver requests? I have sent most of my apps in but have held off on a few that I didn't get waivers for. any idea if they track who has asked already? (just paranoid haha)

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:49 pm

ojala wrote:since applications continue to decline, do you guys think it would be worth reaching out to schools who initially rejected my fee waiver requests? I have sent most of my apps in but have held off on a few that I didn't get waivers for. any idea if they track who has asked already? (just paranoid haha)
I literally begged a T14 for a waiver and finally got it about a month ago. I mean literally no dignity, "I'm poor, I love your school, I wanna go here so hard, my friend went there" etc. I threw the kitchen sink at it.

I knew there was no way I would apply if I didn't get the waiver, so I think it was worth the risk. Worst case scenario: they say no.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Took December LSAT.

Received waivers to all schools rank 3-33 in January (I think all of them).
Got invitations to apply from HYS (with application for waiver) in January as well.

Now as for the TTTTs ...

My favorites:
1. Miami. Perhaps 15? emails total. None of them actually containing a waiver but instead offering me to EARN a waiver by attending some event or emailing someone etc. No thanks. :wink:

2. St. John's law. Biweekly begging. Catchy email subjects. No thanks.

3. Chicago Kent. Let's talk: stop sending me waivers. :roll: (All their email subjects start with Let's talk: )

4.Melanie Cronin. I'm guessing that's not the school name. I'd have to open the email to find out!

5. Stetson law. A literal daily countdown to their application deadline (the deadline for preferred scholarship consideration). When I missed that deadline... another countdown to their extra special preferred consideration deadline! Yay!

Well anyway. Searching my email "from" for "law" returns 933 emails. I'm guessing I've got the majority of all ABA law schools.

Is there an award for most postal mail? I've got a two foot stack if anyone wants to compare :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”