. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Last edited by zaetoroftheprotoss on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

ph14

Gold

Re: Research work but no publications-does that raise questions?

Post by ph14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if adcoms would be concerned about having done research work without having any publications to major journals to show for the effort? More specifically, I received an A on my honors thesis, which covered some of this work, but I have 2 years of research experience in one lab and about a year in another without any first or second authorships. I hope to have at least two publications sometime this year before I apply, but I am wondering about the (potential) impact in case I have none.

Background: I just graduated with a STEM major from a top research university in the US.
I seriously doubt it.

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:35 pm

ph14 wrote: I seriously doubt it.
If you don't mind me asking, why? I thought that not having anything tangible to show for the work would be considered akin to a gap in employment?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:38 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, why? I thought that not having anything tangible to show for the work would be considered akin to a gap in employment?
Because you're applying to law school, not a Ph.D program in that field. And, in any event, with the way law school admissions is generally accepted to work, publications would be a positive, but the lack of publications is not going to be a negative. Either way, you're going to get results in the ballpark of your LSAT/GPA.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:41 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:
It's not. That's stupid. I've been involved in both private sector hiring and grad admissions, and I've never heard anyone say that. Research operations need assistants, and assistants don't always get authorship. Plus, lots of people do research just b/c it's what one must do in order to get a degree(s) and teach.

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:42 pm

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”