LSAT Prep. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chabs

New

LSAT Prep.

Post by chabs » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:41 am

Hey everyone! So, I just decided to withdraw my February LSAT and register for a much later date..where I feel and am more prepared to take it-because I have not increased my score much (about 8-10 points). I used Powerscore. I decided to withdraw because my grades have been slacking and I thought I would be able to keep up-but I was wrong. I was wondering if you guys can help me and give me some advice as to which LSAT Prep is the best out there, what effect it had on your scores, how much did your score increase, etc. It would really help. Please and thank you! :D

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: LSAT Prep.

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

Start with the stickied topics at the top.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 am

I used only Manhattan and Power Score, and I found Manhattan better for logical reasoning, Power Score better for logic games, and neither was superior for reading comprehension. Preferences vary greatly though and I'd advise you to try both if possible. The LSAT Trainer also seems to receive favorable reviews, but I didn't try it.

I went from a 160 diagnostic to a 173 on my only official take. I missed 5 on logic games and made virtually no improvements on that section throughout my study, which consisted of doing questions repeatedly by type and by test. If I had to do it again I'd probably watch the 7-Sage videos and try to find a new approach to answering the questions. I missed 1 on logical reasoning and the key to that was drilling with detailed review (making sure I could explain why the correct answer was the best choice for each question that troubled me). I missed 2 on reading comprehension after scoring much worse in the beginning of my studies, and I found the key for me was to slow down when I was reading and to not make so many notes.

Try to do a lot of practice tests and a lot of drilling. Buy at least 30 practice tests and the Cambridge packets to drill by section. In the early stages of my studying I spent far too much time reading the Manhattan and Power Score books as if I were just trying to memorize the contents, and I didn't spend enough time applying that information on actual questions. I took about 8 practice tests and almost always fell between 168-171. All I'd do between tests is go back to the text books and reread chapters. Eventually I suspected that this wasn't helping me very much, so I moved away from the books and drilled intensely for a month or so. When I went back to practice testing I routinely scored in the mid to high 170s and never dropped below 174 except for the actual test.

SparkyZZZ

Bronze

Post by SparkyZZZ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 am

Well, I personally had better luck taking a prep course (testmasters.net). I jumped 10+ points. Granted, I think a lot of it depends on the instructor.

If you are busy, it can be really helpful to have a course a couple of nights a week to force you to keep at it. Plus, I really think having realistic proctored tests makes a big difference when you finally get to the real test day. Regardless of the company you pick, I think a course can be a huge boost depending on the type of student you are.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:42 am

I mean you literally titled the thread as the forum you should have posted it in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”