Worth applying this late? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moopness

Bronze

Worth applying this late?

Post by moopness » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:18 am

I have a 3.4/175 (went from a 171 -> 169 - > 175). I plan on applying to HYSCCN (I know HYS are autorejects, so I'm considering not even applying). My question is, would it even be worth applying this late? It would take some time for me to go 'complete' so I might even miss the application deadlines to CCN even if I applied today, so would they not even look at my app? I'm really poor so I kinda don't want to just throw my money away, but that's also why I'm hesitant to sit out another year (I already sat out the last two).

dnptan

Bronze

Re: Worth applying this late?

Post by dnptan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 am

I'm applying. I would just shoot CCN if money ($300) is an issue. Unless you have a nice steady job or other backup plan, it's good to know that you're going to Law School in the fall. Apply to a backup or two (which gave you a fee waiver) as well.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am

I get that it may be difficult to scrape together a few hundred dollars for application fees, but you're talking about a $250K investment.

That 175 is precious right now -- I was talking to somebody at a T-14 yesterday and it's bad: applications are continuing to slide, and they were already down 25% over the past three years. They need your numbers, especially since that GPA is under nobody's current floor except maybe Y and S. Applying late rather than early may well work in your favor.

Apply for fee waivers and blanket the T-14. You might be amazed at some of the discounts you get offered off sticker late in this cycle.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Paul Campos wrote:I get that it may be difficult to scrape together a few hundred dollars for application fees, but you're talking about a $250K investment.

That 175 is precious right now -- I was talking to somebody at a T-14 yesterday and it's bad: applications are continuing to slide, and they were already down 25% over the past three years. They need your numbers, especially since that GPA is under nobody's current floor except maybe Y and S. Applying late rather than early may well work in your favor.

Apply for fee waivers and blanket the T-14. You might be amazed at some of the discounts you get offered off sticker late in this cycle.
How high up the T-14 are we talking about? I believe Stanford's median in fact increased by one for the last cycle (170 to 171). Columbia too maybe.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Extreme financial duress aside, I would definitely apply with those stats and see what the cycle brings. If not wait and then get in earlier next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lightworks

Bronze

Post by Lightworks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Have you applied for the LSAC fee waiver? It was a life-saver for me; probably saved close to $1000.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Chicago won't look at your app if you go complete after the deadline. I can't speak for any other schools.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Crowing wrote:Chicago won't look at your app if you go complete after the deadline. I can't speak for any other schools.
What exactly does going complete mean?

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Ahh thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Crowing wrote:Chicago won't look at your app if you go complete after the deadline. I can't speak for any other schools.
I applied on their deadline last year... it went well.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Seoulless wrote:
It means the schools has received (and processed that they have received) all required elements of your application. Your status checker, for most schools, will change to either "complete", "complete and under review", or "under review".

For UChicago, that means if any part of application doesn't make it before their deadline, they won't look at your app. This is particularly problematic for people who study abroad during UG and have to provide transcripts from an overseas institution.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:07 am

kershka wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
It means the schools has received (and processed that they have received) all required elements of your application. Your status checker, for most schools, will change to either "complete", "complete and under review", or "under review".

For UChicago, that means if any part of application doesn't make it before their deadline, they won't look at your app. This is particularly problematic for people who study abroad during UG and have to provide transcripts from an overseas institution.
Are all files sent manually by LSAC or are some sent by snail mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”