"Why X" addendum if also on application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theycallmefoes

Bronze

"Why X" addendum if also on application?

Post by theycallmefoes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 am

For example, Cornell's application includes a section entitled "interest in Cornell" that reads as follows:
Why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School? (Briefly explain your reasons in two to three short sentences.) (maximum characters 1000)
Is it acceptable to also include a longer "Why Cornell" essay as an addendum?

papercut

Silver

Re: "Why X" addendum if also on application?

Post by papercut » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:09 am

I wouldn't write a "Why Cornell" addendum. If there's an optional "Why Cornell" essay, then you can do that. The simplest thing would be to submit it as your PS. Unless you have a compelling general PS.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:20 am

papercut wrote:I wouldn't write a "Why Cornell" addendum. If there's an optional "Why Cornell" essay, then you can do that. The simplest thing would be to submit it as your PS. Unless you have a compelling general PS.
Don't put Why Cornell, or any Why X in your PS.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
papercut wrote:I wouldn't write a "Why Cornell" addendum. If there's an optional "Why Cornell" essay, then you can do that. The simplest thing would be to submit it as your PS. Unless you have a compelling general PS.

I don't think you can say this without knowing what his Why Cornell essay looks like. Maybe it's really strong. Maybe it's super generic.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:02 pm

papercut wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

I don't think you can say this without knowing what his Why Cornell essay looks like. Maybe it's really strong. Maybe it's super generic.
It is extremely rare that someone has a compelling enough reason to attend a specific school that it should be the focus of their PS. Maybe OP does, but 999/1000 the advice is good advice.

You made it sounds like this is the standard advice or the standard thing OP should do, which isn't the case at all. My guess is there are many other more compelling topics the OP can write about other than Why Cornell.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:53 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
papercut wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

It is extremely rare that someone has a compelling enough reason to attend a specific school that it should be the focus of their PS. Maybe OP does, but 999/1000 the advice is good advice.

You made it sounds like this is the standard advice or the standard thing OP should do, which isn't the case at all. My guess is there are many other more compelling topics the OP can write about other than Why Cornell.
I agree about it being rare.

I just gave OP the benefit of doubt. He seemed strongly interested in getting his Why Cornell essay out. If you've made up your mind to get the Why X in, I think what I recommended was standard.

But I do agree that it's not standard to write a Why X as your PS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”