Whose gotten the Stanford letter of invitation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Silver

Whose gotten the Stanford letter of invitation

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am

My stats are 169, 3.7. Non-URM (Asian). LSAT is one below the median, but what's most surprising is that they sent a letter so late. My intuition says that application volume is down.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TigerDude

Bronze

Re: Whose gotten the Stanford letter of invitation

Post by TigerDude » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Stanford's median is 171.

of course app volume is down.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 pm

i got one last week and one this week. the 2nd one was probably a mistake, but still. i would assume app volume is down!

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:14 pm

TigerDude wrote:Stanford's median is 171.

of course app volume is down.
Youre right. Odd it went up given what's been going on.
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... edian-lsat

Lightworks

Bronze

Post by Lightworks » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Stanford is Stanford. They could have a 175 median if they wanted to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Lightworks wrote:Stanford is Stanford. They could have a 175 median if they wanted to.
Explain. Yale's is higher and they have Rhode scholars. Whose Stanford admitting? Foreign president olympic athletes?

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Seoulless wrote:Whose
once is a typo, 2 is a trend

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm

TigerDude wrote:

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Lightworks wrote:Stanford is Stanford. They could have a 175 median if they wanted to.
Explain. Yale's is higher and they have Rhode scholars. Whose Stanford admitting? Foreign president olympic athletes?
And Yale could have a 177 median if it wanted to. S and Y can pretty much choose their medians. They, however, value the super awesome 173 person over the bland 178 person. Thus, lower medians than possible.
Last edited by cotiger on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:08 pm

TigerDude wrote:
Correcting spelling mistakes on a Friday afternoon. Dont wanna ask what Saturday's looks like.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Seoulless wrote:
I think his point is within the larger context that HYS could probably ALL raise their medians if they wanted to. None of the three experienced significant drops in numbers or class size, even with a significant drop in applicants this past cycle, so it appears that they're in the position to make their numbers come out almost any way they want, just by varying how selective they are with respect to soft factors. A 175 median might be a little extreme, but if Stanford made it a top priority, I bet they could get 90 people with 175+ LSAT scores to matriculate.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
I think his point is within the larger context that HYS could probably ALL raise their medians if they wanted to. None of the three experienced significant drops in numbers or class size, even with a significant drop in applicants this past cycle, so it appears that they're in the position to make their numbers come out almost any way they want, just by varying how selective they are with respect to soft factors. A 175 median might be a little extreme, but if Stanford made it a top priority, I bet they could get 90 people with 175+ LSAT scores to matriculate.
In other words, Stanford is more soft intensive?

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:15 pm

ScottRiqui wrote: I think his point is within the larger context that HYS could probably ALL raise their medians if they wanted to.
Well, I dunno about Harvard.. they already admit almost every 175+ that applies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Seoulless wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
In other words, Stanford is more soft intensive?
That's not an unreasonable assumption - SLS is pretty famous for being a "black box" when it comes to admissions. I did hedge my post a little bit by saying that 175 might be a stretch; if SLS were to get *too* numbers-driven, they might lose too many applicants to Harvard and Yale. They'd have to make a dedicated effort, along the lines of throwing full scholarships at 175+ scorers, in order to make SLS more attractive to candidates who would have a good chance at H or Y.

Lightworks

Bronze

Post by Lightworks » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Stanford and Yale accept people with great numbers AND impressive resumes. If they wanted to do admissions purely off of numbers, they could easily raise their LSAT median by several points. They both have such small class sizes (they only need ~100 students for their medians), that it really wouldn't be difficult for them to do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”