Didn't apply early to UCLA, but starting to wish I did..
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 am
In early September I was seriously contemplating whether I should send in my applications at that time, or if I should study and retake my LSAT to see if I could get a higher score. I was at 169, and a 3.84 GPA, and most, if not all of the advice that I had been receiving from both TLS and my peers was that I should try to retake the exam in December. I decided to take the advice and study for a couple of months and retake.
My goal then, and now is: Columbia, UCLA and NYU, in that order. For me, going sticker to any one of those schools was not really an option that I wanted to consider. However, because Columbia had always been my dream school since undergrad, I had convinced myself that I would seriously consider it if I were admitted. I figured that if I boosted my LSAT score to a 172, I would seriously be able to increase my chances of getting into Columbia. It seemed reasonable to think that applying early to Columbia with a 169/3.84 would be the same, if not worse than retaking my exam in December and applying right afterwards with a new LSAT score.
So I retook the exam in December and underperformed. I ended up getting a lower score.
It's January now, and I am waiting on decisions from the three schools mentioned (+ others). With my numbers being the way that they are right now, I feel like my chances of getting into Columbia are extremely low (likely lower than if I would have just applied early).
NYU seems low probability as well at this point...
That brings me to UCLA. I'm worried that I also lowered my chances of being accepted to UCLA as well...If I were fortunate enough to get accepted by them, do you think I lowered the amount of scholarships that I would have received from them had I applied earlier with my original numbers?
I'm just trying to figure out if I did the right thing by at least trying to retake the exam and trying to get a higher score...
My goal then, and now is: Columbia, UCLA and NYU, in that order. For me, going sticker to any one of those schools was not really an option that I wanted to consider. However, because Columbia had always been my dream school since undergrad, I had convinced myself that I would seriously consider it if I were admitted. I figured that if I boosted my LSAT score to a 172, I would seriously be able to increase my chances of getting into Columbia. It seemed reasonable to think that applying early to Columbia with a 169/3.84 would be the same, if not worse than retaking my exam in December and applying right afterwards with a new LSAT score.
So I retook the exam in December and underperformed. I ended up getting a lower score.
It's January now, and I am waiting on decisions from the three schools mentioned (+ others). With my numbers being the way that they are right now, I feel like my chances of getting into Columbia are extremely low (likely lower than if I would have just applied early).
NYU seems low probability as well at this point...
That brings me to UCLA. I'm worried that I also lowered my chances of being accepted to UCLA as well...If I were fortunate enough to get accepted by them, do you think I lowered the amount of scholarships that I would have received from them had I applied earlier with my original numbers?
I'm just trying to figure out if I did the right thing by at least trying to retake the exam and trying to get a higher score...