Conduct & fitness question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jmart150

New

Conduct & fitness question

Post by Jmart150 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:01 am

I was convicted of misdemeanor theft about 9 years ago which has since been reduced to an infraction, and was convicted of DUI about 6 years ago. As I've been filling out applications I have noticed different schools ask different questions regarding past convictions. I would like to know whether I need to disclose the theft incident on all applications or only the ones that explicitly say "including convictions that have been reduced or expunged". Also I would like to how much that will affect my school prospects. I am a 3.25/168 who is hoping to get into ucla or USC despite a low gpa and am worried this will greatly diminish my chances. Thanks for any input.

midwest17

Gold

Re: Conduct & fitness question

Post by midwest17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 am

The two together won't look great, and you've got two of the bad categories: dishonesty and alcohol. They're a long time ago, but schools might still be worried about your ability to pass bar C&F.

That said, you should disclose to any school that doesn't explicitly exclude reduced/expunged convictions. If you post the specific questions schools are asking you can get more specific advice, but the rule is always to err on the side of disclosing. This is especially true since one of your convictions is dishonesty-related. Failing to disclose a theft conviction that the school thinks you should have disclosed is the kind of thing that can really screw you up when it comes time to pass bar C&F.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”