Still getting emails asking me to apply...Gaming #'s? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
frcarpen

New

Still getting emails asking me to apply...Gaming #'s?

Post by frcarpen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:51 pm

I have gotten several emails the past week of the standard variety that waive my application fee to apply. There are a lot of low ranked schools, but also some decent ones (USC, Notre Dame).

Do you think they actually want me to attend or are they trying to pad their "Selectivity" metric as used by US news rankings???

I am actually tempted to apply to USC, but if it is a farce then I won't bother.

Winston1984

Gold

Re: Still getting emails asking me to apply...Gaming #'s?

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Hard to know without knowing your numbers, URM status, or if you have some interesting soft/work experience that they would know about.

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 pm

frcarpen wrote:I have gotten several emails the past week of the standard variety that waive my application fee to apply. There are a lot of low ranked schools, but also some decent ones (USC, Notre Dame).

Do you think they actually want me to attend or are they trying to pad their "Selectivity" metric as used by US news rankings???

I am actually tempted to apply to USC, but if it is a farce then I won't bother.
USC waived its fee waiver for everybody.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:30 pm

RLowry23 wrote:
frcarpen wrote:I have gotten several emails the past week of the standard variety that waive my application fee to apply. There are a lot of low ranked schools, but also some decent ones (USC, Notre Dame).

wait really? i would probably apply/might still if this is the case.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:10 pm

phillywc wrote:
RLowry23 wrote:

Yep, USC has no application fee through February 1. It was originally through December 31, but they extended it. Numbers must be lower than they expected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frcarpen

New

Post by frcarpen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:44 pm

gta wrote:
phillywc wrote:
RLowry23 wrote:

Yep, USC has no application fee through February 1. It was originally through December 31, but they extended it. Numbers must be lower than they expected.
This is what I was getting at, do you think they are desperate for some higher LSAT/GPA applicants or do they already have what they want and are now just wanting to be more "selective?"

frcarpen

New

Post by frcarpen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Hard to know without knowing your numbers, URM status, or if you have some interesting soft/work experience that they would know about.
Non-URM
170/3.37gpa
(I'm torn between trying to reach into the T14 at sticker or take a scholarship at a regional school)

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:57 pm

frcarpen wrote:
gta wrote:I have gotten several emails the past week of the standard variety that waive my application fee to apply. There are a lot of low ranked schools, but also some decent ones (USC, Notre Dame).

Do you think they actually want me to attend or are they trying to pad their "Selectivity" metric as used by US news rankings??

This is what I was getting at, do you think they are desperate for some higher LSAT/GPA applicants or do they already have what they want and are now just wanting to be more "selective?"
[/quote][/quote]
Yes the are gaming the numbers. Apply if you are competitive or it is free, but don't expect much.

They want to be able to show that applications haven't dropped at their school, or at least minimize the drops relative to other school.

Sorry to say, it doesn't mean anything about your chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”