Getting started Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dreamofNYC

Bronze

Getting started

Post by dreamofNYC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:18 pm

I just got my LSAT score and am ready to get the application package rolling. The problem is that I have not clue where to get started. I don't know how competitive my profile is, and I'd like to discuss my prospects with an expert. Would you guys recommend that I contact a consultant directly? I need to move ASAP and don't have much time to do research on my own. Any advice on where to begin and get my application rolling (in an efficient manner) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

angels2fly

Bronze

Re: Getting started

Post by angels2fly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 pm

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Consultants are unnecessary unless there is something *very* weird about your situation. (And there probably isn't, even if you think there is.)

If it's just a matter of not knowing where your numbers will get you, use myLSN.info. If that's not helpful for various reasons, post in the What are my chances? forum.

You can also just look at medians. You need to be above at least one of the medians to have a good shot.

If your numbers aren't T-14 material, you want to apply to schools that have good job placement in regions you have ties to. Figure out what regions you have ties to, then go to lawschooltransparency.com to find schools with good placement in those areas. Then look at the medians for those schools.

Can't give more specific advice without knowing at least your approximate numbers.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Depending on how few clues you have (for example, is your PS completely done?) it's probably in your interest to apply next cycle.

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 am

malleus discentium wrote:Depending on how few clues you have (for example, is your PS completely done?) it's probably in your interest to apply next cycle.
Thanks. I am ready to send out applications to a few PT programs in NYC (Fordham and Bklyn law) in the next couple of weeks. As long as I meet the deadlines, I should be fine, right? Why wait until next cycle? Thank you.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:00 am

This is really late in the cycle to be applying. You'd almost certainly have a better cycle if you apply in September.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”