How negatively will this impact my application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wulfharth

New

How negatively will this impact my application?

Post by Wulfharth » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:47 pm

I have to answer "yes" to missing a term or more in my education.

What happened was that I had some mix ups about how many units I needed to graduate. I undershot it by HALF of one unit/credit. My counselor told me I was good to graduate at the end, a mistake on her part but I won't include that on my application because I hate blaming other people as an excuse and I don't want to see confrontational to school authorities on an application. For 5 months, I thought I had graduated until I got a letter saying I was missing HALF a unit. Now, I'm enrolled to take one last class in the winter so I can finish up that last class.

How negatively will it impact if in my explanation of why I answered "Yes", I wrote something along the lines of there being an unfortunate self-review of my transcript and that I was missing half of one unit. Once the mistake was discovered, I immediately enrolled to take to the final class.

Other than that, my application is great. I had a nice internship and work experience. My GPA was great. LSAT was great. Just that ugly "Yes" on my application with an annoying response.

Miracle

Silver

Re: How negatively will this impact my application?

Post by Miracle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:50 pm

It's no big deal :)

Wulfharth

New

Post by Wulfharth » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Miracle wrote:It's no big deal :)
Thanks. I hope so. I didn't want to make some B.S reason like, oh I had a family emergency and couldnt take the units out of stress, woe is me. I think they will see right through it as B.S. Maybe the honesty will be a plus ... and my track record is tidy clean other than that so hopefully it isn't a biggie. :(

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:59 pm

I have a related follow-up: do these term+ "gap" questions strictly speak to undergrad, or do they generally apply to grad school as well? I have a two-term gap from my grad schools days, as I had approved leave while researching independently.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Won't impact you at all if explained concisely and without assigning someone else the blame.

I believe grad school breaks also have to be explained.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks. This is probably a "next cycle" concern for me, but it's good to know what to look out for!

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:15 am

Admissions Officer: "Half a credit is insignificant, relatively speaking, but it's puzzling how he could've missed it."

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 am

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I actually had two gaps, and I explained them concisely. It hasn't hurt my cycle at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”