Has anyone used a great law school Admissions Consultant Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Has anyone used a great law school Admissions Consultant

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 am

daryldixon wrote:If you aren't smart enough to google the information you need or read it on TLS, then your numbers probably already reflect that stupidity and there is not much an admissions consultant could do for you anyway.
Use TLS for all your info kids, there's great advice here!
redsox wrote: Didn't have anyone proof my PS. Wrote it in a day. Hungover. In a hostel. In Bangkok. A previous version of my resume had been proofed, so I guess maybe that counts.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 am

There is certainly good info here on TLS. There is also horrible info. The bigger issue is there is a lot of conflicting information here. You will have people say you're over-disclosing and under-disclosing a C&F issue in the same thread. You'll have people tell you a two-page resume is fine and others say you should stick to one page. You'll have people with vastly different opinions on whether a PS topic is great or terrible. Worse still you will get people telling you things like "oh you're out at X school - I wouldn't bother with an app," when in fact someone who has seen your entire application may say you have a shot.

I think the debate and discourse that this forum provides on things like your PS or other addenda can actually be pretty helpful. But I also think that having the one-on-one advice of a seasoned professional who has read thousands of applications cannot be discounted. There is value in hiring someone who knows what admissions offices are looking for.

Yes, there is plenty of information to be found on TLS, but wading through the good and the bad information is not always easy. And what way is there for someone to know if the advice is good or bad? As an earlier poster mentioned, of course you can Google many items. But for putting the perfect touch on your PS, delicately crafting a C&F statement, highlighting your standout achievements in the best way possible on your resume, conducting a mock interview for that upcoming JS1, advising on which schools are worth the app fee and which are not, etc., I think there is definite value in hiring a well-respected consultant.

sasquatchsam

Bronze

Post by sasquatchsam » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 am

redsox wrote:Not trying to offend anyone (especially Mike and Karen, because they appear to be generally awesome people), but am I the only one who would feel like a bit of a loser for hiring someone to get me into law school? I get it if there's some sort of special C&F issue to work around. Other than that, though, it just feels...wrong. It doesn't seem fair that, because I can drop $3k on a consultant and not feel it, I should get a better shot at law school than people who can't.
As someone who worked my way through college to help support my parents and myself, I wanted to point out that the bolded is not always the case. I didn't have to take out a loan to hire an admissions consultant. However, I only make 30k a year so that meant things like not having a smartphone or cable tv and driving a car without a heater for the last three years (last week it was below 0 every day when I drove to work). It may be an advantage to hire an admissions consultant but I worked just as hard for that advantage as someone who studied 100 hours for the LSAT. I don't believe I somehow cheated by hiring an admissions consultant.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:38 am

sasquatchsam wrote:
redsox wrote:Not trying to offend anyone (especially Mike and Karen, because they appear to be generally awesome people), but am I the only one who would feel like a bit of a loser for hiring someone to get me into law school? I get it if there's some sort of special C&F issue to work around. Other than that, though, it just feels...wrong. It doesn't seem fair that, because I can drop $3k on a consultant and not feel it, I should get a better shot at law school than people who can't.
As someone who worked my way through college to help support my parents and myself, I wanted to point out that the bolded is not always the case. I didn't have to take out a loan to hire an admissions consultant. However, I only make 30k a year so that meant things like not having a smartphone or cable tv and driving a car without a heater for the last three years (last week it was below 0 every day when I drove to work). It may be an advantage to hire an admissions consultant but I worked just as hard for that advantage as someone who studied 100 hours for the LSAT. I don't believe I somehow cheated by hiring an admissions consultant.
This is a good point. If a person thinks it is worth it, they can go without certain things to make it happen.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Consultants are useless for most cases, but I think this guy probably could have used it. Don't know what happened in his cycle. His numbers are stellar:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lavitz

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:46 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
daryldixon wrote:If you aren't smart enough to google the information you need or read it on TLS, then your numbers probably already reflect that stupidity and there is not much an admissions consultant could do for you anyway.
This is just so incorrect.
Explain how incorrect it is. I would love to know.

Also, I think 2/3 of the positive posters in this thread are just shill accounts made by admissions consultants.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:03 pm

daryldixon wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Also, I think 2/3 of the positive posters in this thread are just shill accounts made by admissions consultants.
As I mentioned I know several people who have used consultants. Most of them significantly outperformed their numbers, and none of them underperformed in the way mentioned above by MotH. Surely you can understand my frustration when people say that all of this was just a fluke. You don't have to believe these anecdotes, but at the very least be polite and recognize that yours isn't the only opinion.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:05 pm

daryldixon wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

You are saying that someone who uses a consultant isn't smart enough to Google or read TLS and probably has numbers that attest to that stupidity.

What about the candidate with awesome numbers which virtually lock her into NYU or CLS, but yet would still make Harvard or Stanford a reach? You are trying to tell me that if that person uses a consultant then she is an idiot and nothing could be done? That is what is incorrect.

What about a candidate with Stanford-worthy numbers but also a delicate C&F issue? You are trying to tell me that if that person uses a consultant he is an idiot and nothing could be done? That is what is incorrect.

What about the candidate with a 178 LSAT but a 3.2 GPA (engineering major at a school with a tough curve). You're trying to tell me that if that person uses a consultant he is an idiot and nothing could be done? That is what is incorrect.

To say that if a person uses a consultant he or she is stupid, must have bad numbers, and that therefore a consultant would be useless, is just completely incorrect. There are several scenarios for which a person who is not stupid, and who has great numbers, could want to use a consultant.

I can assure you I am not a "shill account" made by the admissions consultants. Many of the positive posters in this thread have several hundred posts, and I doubt Mike, Karen, or any of the other reputable admissions consultants have the time to sit around and make fictitious posts just to convince you to use their services.

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:22 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
daryldixon wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

You are saying that someone who uses a consultant isn't smart enough to Google or read TLS and probably has numbers that attest to that stupidity.

What about the candidate with awesome numbers which virtually lock her into NYU or CLS, but yet would still make Harvard or Stanford a reach? You are trying to tell me that if that person uses a consultant then she is an idiot and nothing could be done? That is what is incorrect.

What about a candidate with Stanford-worthy numbers but also a delicate C&F issue? You are trying to tell me that if that person uses a consultant he is an idiot and nothing could be done? That is what is incorrect.

What about the candidate with a 178 LSAT but a 3.2 GPA (engineering major at a school with a tough curve). You're trying to tell me that if that person uses a consultant he is an idiot and nothing could be done? That is what is incorrect.

To say that if a person uses a consultant he or she is stupid, must have bad numbers, and that therefore a consultant would be useless, is just completely incorrect. There are several scenarios for which a person who is not stupid, and who has great numbers, could want to use a consultant.

I can assure you I am not a "shill account" made by the admissions consultants. Many of the positive posters in this thread have several hundred posts, and I doubt Mike, Karen, or any of the other reputable admissions consultants have the time to sit around and make fictitious posts just to convince you to use their services.
You named a bunch of unlikely scenarios that people in this thread have already acknowledged are the only situations where it may make sense to use a consultant. However those instances are very rare compared to the number of applicants that will have admissions cycles that are 100% driven by those numbers. Also, you can find threads and good advice on every single one of those topics on TLS for free. There are also a ton of other free resources for law applicants including blogs written by admissions officers, blogs written by students, lawschoolnumbers.com, and lawschooltransparency.com.
To say that if a person uses a consultant he or she is stupid, must have bad numbers, and that therefore a consultant would be useless, is just completely incorrect.
But I didn't say that. I said they probably have bad numbers. Probably means more likely than not. You can't disprove my statement by naming a bunch of statistical outliers that don't reflect the applicant pool overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:32 pm

daryldixon wrote: You named a bunch of unlikely scenarios that people in this thread have already acknowledged are the only situations where it may make sense to use a consultant. However those instances are very rare compared to the number of applicants that will have admissions cycles that are 100% driven by those numbers. Also, you can find threads and good advice on every single one of those topics on TLS for free. There are also a ton of other free resources for law applicants including blogs written by admissions officers, blogs written by students, lawschoolnumbers.com, and lawschooltransparency.com.
Those scenarios are not unlikely in the sense that there are plenty of people who get into CLS and NYU who are reaches at HLS that could benefit. There are plenty of people with the "numbers" to get into HLS that don't for other reasons. Obviously there aren't thousands of candidates who fit this scenario, but there aren't thousands of spots at these schools either, and you can count the number of good admissions consulting companies on one hand.

Sure you can find good threads and advice on these topics, just as you can find horrible threads and advice on these topics. This is very different than receiving the personalized and knowledgeable advice of an experienced admissions officer.

If you're willing to concede (as it seems you are) that there are certain situations when it makes sense to use a consultant, then we are in agreement, as that is what I have been saying all along. As I made clear in some of my earlier posts, the issue is when people say unequivocally "no, never use one."

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:34 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Consultants are useless for most cases, but I think this guy probably could have used it. Don't know what happened in his cycle. His numbers are stellar:

well, he got what he wanted. He wanted nyc big law, and he got into Cornell with a big scholarship, I dont see how his cycle could have gone better. Since, he is also debt averse, HY OR S without a huge scholly would not have been a great idea, So, I would say he would have been very content with his cycle.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:35 pm

daryldixon wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:To say that if a person uses a consultant he or she is stupid, must have bad numbers, and that therefore a consultant would be useless, is just completely incorrect.
But I didn't say that. I said they probably have bad numbers. Probably means more likely than not. You can't disprove my statement by naming a bunch of statistical outliers that don't reflect the applicant pool overall.
Okay, you got me. You said "probably." It doesn't matter. Your statement has no basis in fact. The population of people using consultants doesn't reflect the applicant pool overall, so my "statistical outliers" aren't outliers in the context of the group of people using consultants. People using consultants are not "typical" applicants, they usually do have some sort of issue, or are shooting for the very top schools, in which case my examples are perfectly applicable.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 pm

deebanger wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Consultants are useless for most cases, but I think this guy probably could have used it. Don't know what happened in his cycle. His numbers are stellar:

well, he got what he wanted. He wanted nyc big law, and he got into Cornell with a big scholarship, I dont see how his cycle could have gone better. Since, he is also debt averse, HY OR S without a huge scholly would not have been a great idea, So, I would say he would have been very content with his cycle.
Not saying he had a shit cycle or anything. I'd love to attend Cornell at a full ride.

But I'd expect someone with those numbers to get at least 1 of HYS and definitely all of CCN.

He got a great deal that matches his goals perfectly. With that said, I think he definitely underperformed his numbers.

http://mylsn.info/c3av88

ETA. My bad. I misread your response. Yeah, for him, his cycle could not have gotten any better. My original message is that someone with his numbers could potentially gain from having a consultant. That statement still stands.

Look at that $$$ from CCN.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sasquatchsam

Bronze

Post by sasquatchsam » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 pm

I just wanted to bring up another couple of points regarding whether or not an admissions consultant can actually improve your chances at various schools. I can't speak for any other companies but I know Mike Spivey has been very open to the fact that he turns down clients he does not think he can help in any significant way. He has also acknowledged that most admissions decisions are based on LSAT/GPA. However, decisions on borderline candidates must be made on something besides LSAT/GPA otherwise they wouldn't be borderline. Having personal knowledge of the admissions officer's likes and dislikes at a target school can enable a candidate to craft a compelling application. Admissions consultants like Spivey and Co. have this kind of knowledge. KB knows exactly what kind of things JS is looking for in an application. Her knowledge helped me to bring up a certain point in my interview which I believe helped me secure an acceptance to HLS (JS literally said "that is really important and I am going to make a note of that in your file").

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:52 am

Looks like the cats got their claws out ITT...

So wait, LS22, I'm confused...do you think admissions consultants can be valuable for certain people? :lol:

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:57 am

lastsamurai wrote:Looks like the cats got their claws out ITT...

So wait, LS22, I'm confused...do you think admissions consultants can be valuable for certain people? :lol:
:lol: I know I said it about 1,000 times, but it just didn't seem like that point was sinking in :)

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

lawschool22 wrote:

:lol: I know I said it about 1,000 times, but it just didn't seem like that point was sinking in :)
anddddd future gunner, HLS c/o 2017 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:05 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

IRL I'm pretty laid back...this whole waiting for decisions thing has me on edge I think.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

IRL I'm pretty laid back...this whole waiting for decisions thing has me on edge I think.
If you had a law school consultant, they could listen to your concerns and calm you down! 8)

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 pm

edit: Scratch that. Site might have become inactive.

Originally posted: http://www.revisionediting.com/

I know she was fairly popular for personal statements when I was applying a few years ago. She wrote the TLS guide on the subject.

MBA_consultant

New

Post by MBA_consultant » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:56 am

Not to fan the flames of this discussion, NOR to give credence to an industry that I believe to be full of A LOT of snake-oil salesmen...

...but I'm a longtime MBA admissions consultant who had a happy former client refer me to a younger sibling for a law school application a couple of years ago. I figured the overall "packaging" process was probably the same for all sorts of schools (i.e., the principles of marketing are fundamentally the same for any / every product, after all), so I did some research on What Law Schools Look For and gave it a shot.

This person was right on the cusp of the bottom 25% for LSAT for the top programs (HYS + a few others). GPA was solid but in a totally fluffy major -- so net/net, I'd call the GPA neutral. In sum, on the scores level, I'd say this person was in the "admissible" range but near the bottom. No idea what the recommenders said.

The first draft essays sent to me were written so poorly they made my eyeballs bleed -- no cohesiveness, no "story", and the sea of cliches / overly-big words made me laugh out loud. He wrote some totally impassioned b.s. about wanting to go into law to help immigrants, despite never actually having helped an immigrant in real life -- ie, no proof of ANY volunteering, etc., not even from an immigrant family himself. Pathetic. Oh, and the candidate in question came from a long family of lawyers but did not himself actually want to be a lawyer (something he confessed to me), and let me tell you -- that ambivalence SHOWED. No pre-law activities, no community anything, etc. (oh, some b.s. "service trip" to a tropical destination -- yeah, right -- I'm sure a LOT of help was rendered to the community during that trip, eh?)

After working with me on a few schools, this person decided that they didn't need my help and went it alone for another top school application. He didn't like how blunt I was being (I was eviscerating his early writing, in part b/c he was so freakin' unlikeable) and decided to "go with [his] gut" and submit a version of the original personal statement for a 5th school. 'Twas the only top-5 school he did not get in to.

I think either this year or next year he's going to graduate from one of the top 3 schools (HYS are the top 3 in law, right? If so, then yeah, it's one of those). Barf. I usually keep in touch with clients re: graduation / career plans but this one nauseated me so I don't give a shiny shoe what he does with his life. I can tell you though, it probably has NOTHING to do with immigrants. Rich brat. Shoulda charged him 5X what I did, ha ha.

Admissions hindsight is 20/20 -- would they have gotten in with their original personal statement, etc.? Um, sure....possibly. But I highly doubt it. I can't say that I can take the full responsibility ("blame"? ha ha) for getting this person in, but the original essays were....I mean, to call them "garbage" is being too nice.

I don't think you need to pay for advice, but this is simply one data point of one person who, I regret to inform you, had a positive admissions decision (despite, frankly, probably not deserving it) upon using the services of someone like me. To clarify, I'm not a former anything wrt to a law school -- not a former dean, not a former admissions person, etc.

I just used a very commonsense "packaging" process. Marketing is marketing. Just use common sense, and ask yourself, "Would anything here set off someone's b.s. detection sensor?", and you'll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 am

MBA_consultant wrote:Not to fan the flames of this discussion, NOR to give credence to an industry that I believe to be full of A LOT of snake-oil salesmen...

...but I'm a longtime MBA admissions consultant who had a happy former client refer me to a younger sibling for a law school application a couple of years ago. I figured the overall "packaging" process was probably the same for all sorts of schools (i.e., the principles of marketing are fundamentally the same for any / every product, after all), so I did some research on what law schools look for and gave it a shot.

This person was right on the cusp of the bottom 25% for LSAT for the top programs (HYS + a few others). GPA was solid but in a totally fluffy major -- so net/net, I'd call the GPA neutral. In sum, on the scores level, I'd say this person was in the "admissible" range but near the bottom. No idea what the recommenders said.

The first draft essays sent to me were written so poorly they made my eyeballs bleed -- no cohesiveness, no "story", and the sea of cliches / overly-big words made me laugh out loud. He wrote some totally impassioned b.s. about wanting to go into law to help immigrants, despite never actually having helped an immigrant in real life -- ie, no proof of ANY volunteering, etc., not even from an immigrant family himself. Pathetic. Oh, and the candidate in question came from a long family of lawyers but did not himself actually want to be a lawyer (something he confessed to me), and let me tell you -- that ambivalence SHOWED. No pre-law activities, no community anything, etc. (oh, some b.s. "service trip" to a tropical destination -- yeah, right -- I'm sure a LOT of help was rendered to the community during that trip, eh?)

After working with me on a few schools, this person decided that they didn't need my help and went it alone for another top school application. He didn't like how blunt I was being (I was eviscerating his early writing, in part b/c he was so freakin' unlikeable) and decided to "go with [his] gut" and submit a version of the original personal statement for a 5th school. 'Twas the only top-5 school he did not get in to.

I think either this year or next year he's going to graduate from one of the top 3 schools (HYS are the top 3 in law, right? If so, then yeah, it's one of those). Barf. I usually keep in touch with clients re: graduation / career plans but this one nauseated me so I don't give a shiny shoe what he does with his life. I can tell you though, it probably has NOTHING to do with immigrants. Rich brat. Shoulda charged him 5X what I did, ha ha.

Admissions hindsight is 20/20 -- would they have gotten in with their original personal statement, etc.? Um, sure....possibly. But I highly doubt it. I can't say that I can take the full responsibility ("blame"? ha ha) for getting this person in, but the original essays were....I mean, to call them "garbage" is being too nice.

I don't think you need to pay for advice, but this is simply one data point of one person who, I regret to inform you, had a positive admissions decision (despite, frankly, probably not deserving it) upon using the services of someone like me. To clarify, I'm not a former anything wrt to a law school -- not a former dean, not a former admissions person, etc.

I just used a very commonsense "packaging" process. Marketing is marketing. Just use common sense, and ask yourself, "Would anything here set off someone's b.s. detection sensor?", and you'll be fine.
So you made a profile including the word consultant, then posted your first post in a thread about consultants, to talk about your consulting. Didn't see that twist coming.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

Oh boy. That post just makes my recommending consultants look bad.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:09 am

lawschool22 wrote:Oh boy. That post just makes my recommending consultants look bad.
I think it just made the individual poster look bad.

"I'm a consultant, with no admissions experience, who doesn't recommend consultants -- except for me because I unequivocally got this person into law school."

reminds me of this guy:

http://thecabininthewoods.wikia.com/wik ... the_Intern

rutgers17

Bronze

Post by rutgers17 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:51 pm

Just gonna throw my 2 cents in here....I'm a reverse splitter who saved up money and hired Spivey. While I haven't finished my cycle yet, I already feel that my investment was worth it (to be fair, feel free to ask once the cycle plays out).

Aside from the word-by-word editing of my entire application, which put my mind totally at east when submitting, the personal statement help was also absolutely fantastic because I didn't have a standout topic (overcoming adversity, diversity, or something like that). I was back and forth with my topic to begin with and had a lot of trouble gauging how good it was. After talking to Spivey and seeing his suggested edits, I feel 10 times better about the quality of my PS and I feel that it will give me a leg up (obviously not so much as to make up for poor numbers or anything, but I'm borderline for my #1 school and if it gives me a slight chance of getting in over someone else on the borderline, then I'll take it!). I also had a minor C&F issue that he put my mind at ease about and helped me craft my explanation.

I think my status as a reverse splitter also made him particularly worth the money because aside from "retake" (which isn't bad advice), there's not much help for reverse splitters on here. Mike had actual advice for me about my cycle that was more than simply retake (now, as per his advice, I may still be retaking in Feb/June). But he helped me work with what I have (and unlike the often skewed view on here didn't act like I had ruined my life by not getting a 170 lsat) and I think I have a good shot at getting into my top choice (even without the possible retake).

As most of the level-headed posters on here are saying, no one needs an admissions consultant. But, they can absolutely be valuable. (also I don't feel I'm doing anything underhanded AT ALL by hiring Mike -- I made the conscious decision to put myself in the best position for admissions by saving money and hiring a consultant. in my mind, that's solid decision making.) I don't quite understand the vitriol some people have towards consultants, but to the OP, I think Mike Spivey was well worth the money!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”