WHAT?! This can't be Fordham's new admissions numbers.REALLY Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bronx Bum

Bronze

WHAT?! This can't be Fordham's new admissions numbers.REALLY

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 am

Fordham Law School's Admissions Committee - comprised of full-time Faculty Members, Assistant Deans, and the Director of Admissions - evaluates each completed application received. (Last year it evaluated over 5,000 applications.) The full-time day and part-time evening entering class in fall 2013 (as of August 26, 2013) had a LSAT and GPA distribution as follows:

LSAT/GPA Full-time Day Part-time Evening
75th Percentile LSAT 165 162
Median LSAT 163 160
25th Percentile LSAT 162 158
75th Percentile GPA 3.68 3.69
Median GPA 3.53 3.47
25th Percentile GPA 3.37 3.16

Please tell me this is a joke. Please. I entered in 2010. I knew things got bad but I had no idea it was THIS bad. These are albany law school numbers. People were getting waitlisted from part time with 164. LOL.

I am really embarrassed.

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: WHAT?! This can't be Fordham's new admissions numbers.REALLY

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:57 am

Looks like now is a great time to go to law school. Fordham has great placement. I wish I waited a few years to go.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:04 am

Law school apocalypse, baby!

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:35 am

Tom Joad wrote:Looks like now is a great time to go to law school. Fordham has great placement. I wish I waited a few years to go.

Fordham has "great" placement. Lol ok.

The Dark Kite

Bronze

Post by The Dark Kite » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:23 am

Louis1127 wrote:Law school apocalypse, baby!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:38 am

Bronx Bum wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Looks like now is a great time to go to law school. Fordham has great placement. I wish I waited a few years to go.

If you don't mind what are you stats as far as WE, Softs? Or did you go to Fordham straight from undergrad?

didntgo89072014

New

Post by didntgo89072014 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:45 am

NanaP wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

If you don't mind what are you stats as far as WE, Softs? Or did you go to Fordham straight from undergrad?
Pretty sure this bro has a just about median outcome from Fordham...150k debt and 65k job, is that right? Fordham works out well for 1/3 to 1/4 of students, assuming they really do like big law. Also having mom and dad pay helps a lot too. This dude is evidence that the median outcome is nothing to get excited about, although I would advise him to try to let go a bit. Can't change the past.

ETA: If you go there you should assume a median outcome too.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:52 am

didntgo89072014 wrote:
NanaP wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

Pretty sure this bro has a just about median outcome from Fordham...150k debt and 65k job, is that right? Fordham works out well for 1/3 to 1/4 of students, assuming they really do like big law. Also having mom and dad pay helps a lot too. This dude is evidence that the median outcome is nothing to get excited about, although I would advise him to try to let go a bit. Can't change the past.

ETA: If you go there you should assume a median outcome too.
Oh Ok, I was just wondering, he seems very bitter about the school, at least based on his previous posts, If he was top 10 or even top 20 and couldn't find his desired job, then I would worry about Fordham, but their drop in the rankings is def troubling....

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:28 pm

NanaP wrote:
Oh Ok, I was just wondering, he seems very bitter about the school, at least based on his previous posts, If he was top 10 or even top 20 and couldn't find his desired job, then I would worry about Fordham, but their drop in the rankings is def troubling....

I don't think this is it, it's more that (for almost everyone who entered in 2010/2011), if we would have waited 2 years, we could have gotten into a MUCH higher ranked school and/or gotten a LOT more money from the school we ended up going to, because admissions numbers almost everywhere are dropping. Or, people with good numbers are getting more money so they will come and prop admissions up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
NanaP wrote:

I don't think this is it, it's more that (for almost everyone who entered in 2010/2011), if we would have waited 2 years, we could have gotten into a MUCH higher ranked school and/or gotten a LOT more money from the school we ended up going to, because admissions numbers almost everywhere are dropping. Or, people with good numbers are getting more money so they will come and prop admissions up.
TCR. I had numbers that would have been a pretty safe bet at Cornell. Granted I retook the LSAT a little late in the cycle but I was originally waitlisted at Fordham PART TIME with a 164/3.9 until I retook and got higher. No money.

Depressing. More depressing that our school would let it drop so much just to maintain tuition revenue and still have the nerve to ask us for money.

Yes, I am pretty much the median outcome. And had to hustle to get there.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 pm

The top 10 or top 20 students are obviously fine. Top 10% is likely fine too. Top 20% has a decent shot of being fine, but I know more than one person in the top 20% who has NOTHING, not even small law.

Problem with Fordham, IMO, is that they drill biglaw into you, even the professors the way they talk. They talk about P.I. (lol not public interest...P.I. to 99% of IRL lawyers means personal injury), solo criminal defense, and divorce as if it's the plague instead of preparing people for that reality. For example, in a seminar involving law firm marketing (ironically one of the few helpful courses for small firm people), the professor was showing ads. One personal injury firm had a funny commercial. The professor bashed it and the students talked about how it's "unprofessional" and implied that they're above that. Well, reality is, if you want to make it was a non biglaw lawyer, that's how the game is played.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:The top 10 or top 20 students are obviously fine. Top 10% is likely fine too. Top 20% has a decent shot of being fine, but I know more than one person in the top 20% who has NOTHING, not even small law.

Problem with Fordham, IMO, is that they drill biglaw into you, even the professors the way they talk. They talk about P.I. (lol not public interest...P.I. to 99% of IRL lawyers means personal injury), solo criminal defense, and divorce as if it's the plague instead of preparing people for that reality. For example, in a seminar involving law firm marketing (ironically one of the few helpful courses for small firm people), the professor was showing ads. One personal injury firm had a funny commercial. The professor bashed it and the students talked about how it's "unprofessional" and implied that they're above that. Well, reality is, if you want to make it was a non biglaw lawyer, that's how the game is played.
Interesting....I always found Fordham to be arrogant, they see themselves on the same stage as NYU, and Colombia....

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:06 pm

NanaP wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:The top 10 or top 20 students are obviously fine. Top 10% is likely fine too. Top 20% has a decent shot of being fine, but I know more than one person in the top 20% who has NOTHING, not even small law.

Interesting....I always found Fordham to be arrogant, they see themselves on the same stage as NYU, and Colombia....
That's laughable. Their placement is not impressive

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah, combined with their tuition, meager scholarship opportunities and the ridiculous COL of NYC, Fordham isn't a great value proposition.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:35 pm

HYSenberg wrote:Yeah, combined with their tuition, meager scholarship opportunities and the ridiculous COL of NYC, Fordham isn't a great value proposition.
There are other variables in play. Fordham students get to live in NYC, the pinnacle of culture, for 3 years. And all of them are eligible to take the bar exam to become an Attorney at Law.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:Yeah, combined with their tuition, meager scholarship opportunities and the ridiculous COL of NYC, Fordham isn't a great value proposition.
There are other variables in play. Fordham students get to live in NYC, the pinnacle of culture, for 3 years. And all of them are eligible to take the bar exam to become an attorney at law.

LOL 180.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
There are other variables in play. Fordham students get to live in NYC, the pinnacle of culture, for 3 years. And all of them are eligible to take the bar exam to become an attorney at law.
You could say the same about Brooklyn School of Law

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Wait, NYC is the pinnacle of culture?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 pm

+1... but then I would have never gone in the first place

taylorswiftfan

Bronze

Post by taylorswiftfan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:18 pm

OP, where did you get those numbers from? I tried googling the new 2013 numbers for Fordham law. Couldn't find them. Found the admissions profile for those entering in 2012. Also, on LSN's profile of fordham law, the numbers are different then yours for class of 2017.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:23 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:OP, where did you get those numbers from? I tried googling the new 2013 numbers for Fordham law. Couldn't find them. Found the admissions profile for those entering in 2012. Also, on LSN's profile of fordham law, the numbers are different then yours for class of 2017.
Those match the numbers (at least for the full-time program) on this spreadsheet that TLSers are maintaining. The spreadsheet itself doesn't record the source of the numbers for each school, but if you look through the "c/o 2016 medians and class size" thread, most posters cited their source when they updated the spreadsheet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

taylorswiftfan

Bronze

Post by taylorswiftfan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:48 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
taylorswiftfan wrote:OP, where did you get those numbers from? I tried googling the new 2013 numbers for Fordham law. Couldn't find them. Found the admissions profile for those entering in 2012. Also, on LSN's profile of fordham law, the numbers are different then yours for class of 2017.
Those match the numbers (at least for the full-time program) on this spreadsheet that TLSers are maintaining. The spreadsheet itself doesn't record the source of the numbers for each school, but if you look through the "c/o 2016 medians and class size" thread, most posters cited their source when they updated the spreadsheet.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the link. I didn't see the source (the spreadsheet) from the OP.

altoid99

Bronze

Post by altoid99 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:06 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Oh, I see. Thanks for the link. I didn't see the source (the spreadsheet) from the OP.
http://law.fordham.edu/614.htm

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I turned down Fordham at sticker for a second tier public school with money+ in-state tuition + WAY lower COA. Still don't regret it at all. Fordham might be worth it if you didn't have to pay so much to live anywhere near commuting distance.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Fordham is a trap school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”