Post removed... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
appind

Gold

Post removed...

Post by appind » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by appind on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

midwest17

Gold

Re: dumbfounding lsat issue's effect on admissions

Post by midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:11 pm

I wouldn't cancel. There are stories of people paying for hand scoring and convincing LSAC to correct obvious misbubbling (skipping a line and going one over the max probably qualifies as obvious), but I can't say for sure whether those stories are true or mythical. Worth a shot, though. If not, wait a cycle and retake. An addendum about the misbubble, if you feel it necessary, would probably look better than a cancel anyways.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:42 pm

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:14 pm

sublime wrote:
midwest17 wrote:I wouldn't cancel. There are stories of people paying for hand scoring and convincing LSAC to correct obvious misbubbling (skipping a line and going one over the max probably qualifies as obvious), but I can't say for sure whether those stories are true or mythical. Worth a shot, though. If not, wait a cycle and retake. An addendum about the misbubble, if you feel it necessary, would probably look better than a cancel anyways.

Yea, ask the LSAC about their policy, and if it seems possible that they will correct it, pay for the hand grader.
Definitely. It's $40, I believe, and worth it for even a shot at them correcting it. I wouldn't however, take it for granted, as I've heard of some cases that seemed pretty cut-and-dry, but LSAC didn't change the score.

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 pm

I feel for ya man. Coulda happened to anyone. I do hope it works out, let us know how it goes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I wouldn't cancel. If you have to retake, HYS won't care.

appind

Gold

Post removed...

Post by appind » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:24 am

Post removed...
Last edited by appind on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:18 am

appind wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:I wouldn't cancel. If you have to retake, HYS won't care.
I can't seem to justify how even a low 160s score (likely due to misbubble) can be better than a cancel for these schools. Even if I retake and my final score looks something like cancel-162-17x, wouldn't a cancel-cancel-17x be better for these schools?

H site has this - http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... tml#retake

Y is considered even more particular about lsat. Wouldn't multiple takes harm then?

Should I retake the LSAT?
The LSAT need be taken only once. If you take the test more than once, all scores and their average will be reported and considered.
-----
H definitely does not average scores. They talk about this a bit in the Q&A with Former Admissions Officers thread (you can go back and look if you like), and Karen Buttenbaum herself says that they look at the highest score. It only makes sense because that is what is reported, not the average.

Anyway, I think that if there is a chance your misbubble can be corrected by hand scoring, you would be doing yourself a disservice not to at least try. And if it doesn't work out, as others have said, you can always retake.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Gold

Post removed...

Post by appind » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:56 am

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:38 pm

appind wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
appind wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:I wouldn't cancel. If you have to retake, HYS won't care.
I can't seem to justify how even a low 160s score (likely due to misbubble) can be better than a cancel for these schools. Even if I retake and my final score looks something like cancel-162-17x, wouldn't a cancel-cancel-17x be better for these schools?

H site has this - http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... tml#retake

Y is considered even more particular about lsat. Wouldn't multiple takes harm then?

Should I retake the LSAT?
The LSAT need be taken only once. If you take the test more than once, all scores and their average will be reported and considered.
-----
H definitely does not average scores. They talk about this a bit in the Q&A with Former Admissions Officers thread (you can go back and look if you like), and Karen Buttenbaum herself says that they look at the highest score. It only makes sense because that is what is reported, not the average.

Anyway, I think that if there is a chance your misbubble can be corrected by hand scoring, you would be doing yourself a disservice not to at least try. And if it doesn't work out, as others have said, you can always retake.
From everything I could find they're noncommittal. They may not strictly average, but they can and most likely do perceive a single take better than multiple takes. What about two cancels in a row versus cencel-16X score for H?
It appears that for any misbubble correction to succeed I'll have to be specific in describing the misbubble issue to LSAC prior to score-release. It concerns me as I can't be certain when misbubble began, even though i know where it approximately ended, without getting the item-response-report.
You will get the item response report before filing to ask for the hand grading - you should be able to figure it out that way.

As far as the cancel goes, it looks better than a lower score. But it's not something that will kill you, especially since you can write an addendum about the misbubble.

appind

Gold

Post removed...

Post by appind » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by appind on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 pm

appind wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
You will get the item response report before filing to ask for the hand grading - you should be able to figure it out that way.

As far as the cancel goes, it looks better than a lower score. But it's not something that will kill you, especially since you can write an addendum about the misbubble.
Actually no as I need to describe the issue to lsac before I get the score in order for them to successfully change it.
Shockingly, the LSAT tutor knows what he's talking about.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-lsat

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm not sure that you're using dumbfounding in the appropriate context.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:40 pm

midwest17 wrote:
appind wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

Actually no as I need to describe the issue to lsac before I get the score in order for them to successfully change it.

I saw that the FAQ discusses hand-scoring, but is that the exact same process as trying to have a mis-bubbling incident corrected? I thought that the hand-scoring option was for when the scanner actually mis-read one or more of your bubbles, not for when you accidentally put the bubbles in the wrong place.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
appind wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

I saw that the FAQ discusses hand-scoring, but is that the exact same process as trying to have a mis-bubbling incident corrected? I thought that the hand-scoring option was for when the scanner actually mis-read one or more of your bubbles, not for when you accidentally put the bubbles in the wrong place.
As far as I know, based on previous discussions on TLS, there's no formal process specifically for misbubbles. You request hand scoring with a plea re: the misbubble, and hope they take pity on you.

PalmBay

Bronze

Post by PalmBay » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:17 am

Sorry to hear this OP.
I mean, LSAC is pretty stiff about LSAT procedure, but they've got to feel sympathy for a person who took and completed the test in good faith (inb4 "as opposed to in bad faith?") and helped LSAC pay their bills. Essentially, they're pitted with the option to keep the score as is, have you waste your time and money on a score that will reflect negatively on you JUST because of a simple one-time mistake. Their other option is to show some leniency and have someone just hand-score it, eliminating the crippling error. I mean, that takes what, 30 seconds to score one section?

I hope it works out for you. Definitely make some calls ASAP. In fact, I wish you would have raised the issue with the proctors after the test. Not that they could have done anything, but hey, maybe they could have. But since that has passed, give a call to the powers that be and cross your fingers.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:25 am

The only right answer is call lsac and ask. If you severely misbubbled, you should cancel if they won't fix it for you. I'm never one for advocating canceling, but if you missed half a section or whatever and are gunning for hys, you should cancel. If they will fix it, great, do that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

appind

Gold

Post removed...

Post by appind » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Post removed...

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:05 pm

appind wrote:I contacted LSAC and requested correction. They emailed a response saying I need to request handscoring.

Can I register for February (to prepare for the worst) without making my case for correction to LSAC any weaker?
I'm concerned that LSAC will see that I registered for February and will then act as if my correction request can be disregarded without much noise from me. The center may not be available if i register late and i just don't want to lose the center also.
I can't say for sure, but I really don't think they'll weigh it against you.

appind

Gold

Post removed...

Post by appind » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Post removed...

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:42 am

appind wrote:
bp shinners wrote: I can't say for sure, but I really don't think they'll weigh it against you.
I've put Feb registration on hold just so I don't get shortchanged by LSAC due to it. However, today LSAC has put my score "temporarily on hold" based on an email I received today.

Does this mean I wouldn't get to see my score report so I could file a handscore request with correct misbubbling information?
I waited to request handscoring even though I filed a request right after the lsat for correction stating I misbubbled. LSAC responded to my request for misbubble correction mid December stating I needed to file official handscore request, which is something reps suggested wouldn't be necessary as they could perform misbubble correction without it.
Your best bet is to call them up and ask what it means. However, if your score is temporarily on hold, it probably means they're looking into the misbubble correction, there are some wires crossed on their communications between them and you (or you and us). Either way, you should be able to (eventually) see your score report.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:31 pm

bp shinners wrote: Your best bet is to call them up and ask what it means. However, if your score is temporarily on hold, it probably means they're looking into the misbubble correction, there are some wires crossed on their communications between them and you (or you and us). Either way, you should be able to (eventually) see your score report.
It's closed due to inclement weather. Want to be able to see IRR before handscore request.
events so far.
- dec 7 Sec-5 series of misbubble noticed when test over
- called lsac next week. Reps ask to request correction in email (reps don't suggest handscore)
- emailed lsac next day notifying about misbbuble somewhere in Sec-5
- lsac emails 3 days later asking to file official handscore request
- i wait to file handscore request till I get IRR so I can pinpoint misbubble range
- current (score held)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”