How bad of an idea is this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whambamthankyoumaam

New

How bad of an idea is this?

Post by whambamthankyoumaam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Last edited by whambamthankyoumaam on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Re: How bad of an idea is this?

Post by twenty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:10 pm

You should probably apply to Northwestern and Cornell now. Everything else, meh.

If you miss the first round ED for Penn, though, you should probably ED to UVA rather than hope GULC gives you money.

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:31 pm

whambamthankyoumaam wrote:So far I've applied to two schools, UPenn (ED) and GULC. These are my number 1 and 2 choices respectively. I've decided to hold off applying to other schools until I heard back from Penn, mainly to save time/money.

Is this a terrible idea? Should I have all my apps out already? Judging by past cycles I have a pretty good shot of GULC, so I'm not terribly motivated to apply elsewhere, but am I shooting myself in the foot here by not applying early to other schools?

My numbers are 172/3.2.
It's not a terrible idea because you applied ED. However, if you are not accepted to Penn under the ED option, I think then its a pretty bad idea. First, there is no guarentee that you will get into Georgetown. I haven't looked at the numbers and stuff, but off the top of my head I would say its difficult to be a lock with a 3.2, even if you have that badass LSAT score.

Second, if the scenario is you are rejected at Penn but accepted to Georgetown, I think there are still benefits to applying to other schools. Namely, I think the conventional wisdom is that you want to apply to a broad range of schools so that you can have leverage in scholarship negotations. The later you apply, the less likely you are to get scholarship offers.

Also, assuming your resume and PS are not school-specific, there is not a whole lot of downside to going ahead and applying to a few other schools you would be interested in attending. It really does not take too long to apply to each school, and I think you could get application fee waivers to some of the other T-14s.

Just my 2 cents though. Good luck!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:01 am

It's a terrible idea because going to GULC at sticker is a terrible idea.

Apply to NU now. Think about whether you want to apply RD to UVA now or ED if you don't get into Penn.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:21 pm

the bargaining power when it comes time to wrangle over schollies is worth the extra effort/money of applying to additional schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Carlo Von Sexron

Bronze

Post by Carlo Von Sexron » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 pm

This seems like a bad idea. Sort-of-high LSAT + mediocre GPA =/= lock on any T14.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Shoot some e-mails to schools to get fee waivers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”