I no longer need your help; delete this post. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: I no longer need your help; delete this post.

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 pm

CandFwoes wrote:I'm guessing the OP was asking whether or not he should ED to NYU.

I have a related question. I (very stupidly) applied ED to NYU. I thought I was in a weaker position for acceptance than I actually was; now I understand that it's probable I would have been accepted RD. Browsing LSN, I see that others with my numbers have gotten significant scholarship money from lower T-14s.

NYU is my top pick school for a number of reasons -- I live and work in the city, and my friends and support network are there. I love the village, and if I'm going to spend three years of my life somewhere, location matters to me. I would strongly prefer to work in NYC after graduating, hopefully in a large firm (I'm open to relocating, but my life is here in NY).

Still, I'm thinking about withdrawing my NYU app and trying my luck at a lower T-14 for scholarship money. I'm conflicted, because NYU is the school I want to go to, hands down. That I would even consider withdrawing would be unthinkable to me a few months ago. But now I'm experiencing a bit of sticker shock.

Advice?
Just ask them to consider you for RD instead of ED. Call them Monday. If they say no, then say you are withdrawing your application.

CandFwoes

New

Post by CandFwoes » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:
CandFwoes wrote:I'm guessing the OP was asking whether or not he should ED to NYU.

I have a related question. I (very stupidly) applied ED to NYU. I thought I was in a weaker position for acceptance than I actually was; now I understand that it's probable I would have been accepted RD. Browsing LSN, I see that others with my numbers have gotten significant scholarship money from lower T-14s.

NYU is my top pick school for a number of reasons -- I live and work in the city, and my friends and support network are there. I love the village, and if I'm going to spend three years of my life somewhere, location matters to me. I would strongly prefer to work in NYC after graduating, hopefully in a large firm (I'm open to relocating, but my life is here in NY).

Still, I'm thinking about withdrawing my NYU app and trying my luck at a lower T-14 for scholarship money. I'm conflicted, because NYU is the school I want to go to, hands down. That I would even consider withdrawing would be unthinkable to me a few months ago. But now I'm experiencing a bit of sticker shock.

Advice?
Just ask them to consider you for RD instead of ED. Call them Monday. If they say no, then say you are withdrawing your application.
That's a good idea, but is it possible that my RD app will be negatively affected? Especially since I waited so long? I still want to keep NYU on the table, and don't want to do anything to jeopardize my app.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:48 pm

CandFwoes wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Advice?
That's a good idea, but is it possible that my RD app will be negatively affected? Especially since I waited so long? I still want to keep NYU on the table, and don't want to do anything to jeopardize my app.
Maybe? I'm not really sure what the issue is here though. Since you applied ED, it's going to be tough to have your cake and eat it too. So do you want to maximize your chances at NYU? If yes, then don't do anything. Are you deathly afraid of sticker? Then either change to RD or withdraw your application.

Decide what's more important to you and then do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”