Thoughts on "Quirky" Non-Academic Accolades? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scifiguy

Silver

Thoughts on "Quirky" Non-Academic Accolades?

Post by scifiguy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:27 am

What do you guys think about adding "quirky" non-academic type of accolades and accomplishments we may have attained to our resume or ls application materials?

Examples might be:

***Reigning Video Game Champion in _________
***Finalist/Runner-up of 2013 West Coast Surfing Championships

etc.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Thoughts on "Quirky" Non-Academic Accolades?

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:10 am

In the case of your examples, I would say list the second one under an interests section, leave off the first entirely. Hardcore video gaming conjures up images of aspie lonerdom.

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:16 am

I saw "Jeopardy Champion" on a resume once. It got him an interview (but not the job).

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:In the case of your examples, I would say list the second one under an interests section, leave off the first entirely. Hardcore video gaming conjures up images of aspie lonerdom.
Pretty much agree - I've had my interest spark up conversations on successful interviews though. Caveat being, I've see NCAA athlete accolades (or similar) be fairly useful.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:34 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:In the case of your examples, I would say list the second one under an interests section, leave off the first entirely. Hardcore video gaming conjures up images of aspie lonerdom.
Which could be counteracted with other interests, such as being a West Coast Surfing Championship. I'd probably include the video game (depending on which one it is, actually, but that would probably matter more to me than to your average adcomm) - you get one nerd on that panel, and you've made a friend. And there are a lot of nerds at law schools - a similar feature on my resume was all I talked about during one of my interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 pm

If the videogame one were something REAL, like literally you went to one of those championship events in Vegas or whatever and won, then maybe list it under interests. The sports one, sure, list it (under interests). Also acceptable: a prize/championship in a photography contest, amateur dirtbike league, regional judo competition, etc.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:54 pm

ugh go away scifiguy

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:If the videogame one were something REAL, like literally you went to one of those championship events in Vegas or whatever and won, then maybe list it under interests. The sports one, sure, list it (under interests). Also acceptable: a prize/championship in a photography contest, amateur dirtbike league, regional judo competition, etc.
Yeah, I meant real. :wink:

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 pm

scifiguy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If the videogame one were something REAL, like literally you went to one of those championship events in Vegas or whatever and won, then maybe list it under interests. The sports one, sure, list it (under interests). Also acceptable: a prize/championship in a photography contest, amateur dirtbike league, regional judo competition, etc.
scifiguy are you actually going to law school or are you going pro in trolling?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 pm

DCDuck wrote:I saw "Jeopardy Champion" on a resume once. It got him an interview (but not the job).
Wow, you hire people into biglaw?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:44 pm

scifiguy wrote:
DCDuck wrote:I saw "Jeopardy Champion" on a resume once. It got him an interview (but not the job).
Wow, you hire people into biglaw?
nah this was for assistant deli meat slicer at the Fresno Arby's

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:47 pm

stillwater wrote:
scifiguy wrote:
I'm undecided about law school, but looking into it. This question actually applies to me in a few ways. I have some of these "qualifications"...definitely on the quirky side, so wasn't sure if they should be mentioned.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:48 pm

scifiguy wrote:
stillwater wrote:
scifiguy wrote:
I'm undecided about law school, but looking into it. This question actually applies to me in a few ways. I have some of these "qualifications"...definitely on the quirky side, so wasn't sure if they should be mentioned.
be interesting without being weird or pathetic. i think thats the general rule of thumb.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:51 pm

That's my impression too, even though I know it's a stereotype.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 pm

stillwater wrote: scifiguy are you actually going to law school or are you going pro in trolling?
twist: this is the "quirky accolade" that he is referring to including on his resume.

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Being a surfing champ is bad ass.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”