Above the 75% LSAT Median Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mellow

Bronze

Above the 75% LSAT Median

Post by mellow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Some people say that every point higher on the LSAT matters. Others say that once you reach the school's 75% LSAT percentile, the boost you get with a higher LSAT is nothing compared to the benefit of applying earlier.

A higher score on the October test vs the June test is obviously better no matter what as it will still be early in the application period when you get your score back. But how about October vs. December? December vs. February? Also, with the drop in admissions, it seems like schools are accepting people later and later?

Some background: For some schools I'm interested in, my GPA is below 25% (but still above the "GPA Floor") but my LSAT is above 75%. I'm currently registered to retake in December because I underperformed, but I was wondering if it'd be better to send the apps now for those particular schools before waiting until I get my score in January. I'd email the school of course to let them know not to wait for the December score release.

Thanks!
Last edited by mellow on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Above the 75% LSAT Median

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:14 am

schools are waiting longer and longer (at least from my experience) to admit the bulk of their applicants until after the December scores are out. I'd say just submit your applications now if they're ready and tell them to hold them until your December scores are out. They'll get those scores automatically once they're released

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:44 am

The 75th percentile is not a "median"; the "median" is the 50th percentile. Just FYI.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:17 am

February is generally seen as late. However, a higher score in December should almost always outperform a lower score than October. This will likely become the case more and more as LSAT medians slip.

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:37 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:The 75th percentile is not a "median"; the "median" is the 50th percentile. Just FYI.
Ah yes. Thanks for catching that!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”