T14? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cm1991

New

T14?

Post by cm1991 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:38 am

Last edited by cm1991 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snagglepuss

Gold

Re: T14?

Post by snagglepuss » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:52 am

1. You're first semester will not be excluded or overlooked. Your upward trend likely won't matter an iota. Law school predictor and myLSN (http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php) are very unlikely to return any helpful information for your stats because you are well below 25th percentile GPAs for most of the T14 and well above all 75th percentile LSATs (you're a supersplitter). No one can predict your cycle with any meaningful authority. That said I don't see Yale or Stanford happening. Harvard is a longshot but possible. I personally think NYU will be the highest ranked school to bite.

2. UVA is the only nose-breathing, fratty school. Enjoy.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 am

LSP has failed you.

Out at YSH and Berkeley, low to no chance at Chicago, low to some chance at CLS and Duke, decent chance at NYU, solid chance everywhere else, including NU: no idea why thats only consider, its arguably the most splitter friendly of the top schools

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:25 am

This must be addressed: Why do you want to go to law school?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 am

Don't write a GPA addendum; your upward trend will be apparent (although it also probably won't matter), and "I was partying too much to get good grades" is not a good excuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitcity

New

Post by splitcity » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 am

Don't worry about the overly negative responses from mouthbreather frat haters here. A lot of schools understand that it takes time to adjust to UG and while they won't exclude your early grades, they will probably understand that it's not an accurate indicator of your potential. I'm not sure what "pr'd" means, but if you got a 179, you have a decent chance at everything outside the T5 (excluding Berkely unless you have a really good PS). Unless you were set on going to HYS, you're in good shape so don't worry too much.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am

Your LSAT is above almost every schools' 75th, which when combined with your low GPA means that it doesn't matter that much if you had gotten a 174 or a 180. Here's a good range for you to look at.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:45 am

Do yourself a huge favor and forget about the mostly meaningless generalizations of t14 schools or any particular school. Do you honestly believe that a collection of a few thousand students from all over the country and world who only have in common that they did well on a standardized test somehow share a common personality type? TLS and elsewhere will be happy to perpetuate the the stereotypes about certain schools (UVA is all fratstars, CLS all corporate whores) but that doesn't make it true. Choose a school based on employment prospects, cost and location, in that order. Exclude the rest. Good luck.

noobishned

New

Post by noobishned » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 am

IpleadtheFiF wrote:This must be addressed: Why do you want to go to law school?
Why is that even relevant to OP's question?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cm1991

New

Post by cm1991 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am

midwest17 wrote:Don't write a GPA addendum; your upward trend will be apparent (although it also probably won't matter), and "I was partying too much to get good grades" is not a good excuse.
Oh my god. You are absolutely right. Since that is literally the exact way I was planning to explain it in said addendum your advice is truly priceless. Thx.

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 am

noobishned wrote:
IpleadtheFiF wrote:This must be addressed: Why do you want to go to law school?
Why is that even relevant to OP's question?
The reason why to attend law school is always the first point to be addressed before applying. This one sentence
I'm a fairly laid back guy.
makes me :? . Obviously "laid back" is subjective but in undergrad, someone could achieve a 3.34 simply by attending class and cramming the day before tests. If he doesn't have the proper motivation to work hard as hell, how is he going to fare when pitted against kids who are cranking out 6+ hours a day at a desk?

He obviously studied well for the LSAT. Nonetheless, if he can't stand being around "uncool", socially-inept kids that spend all their time studying, law school seems like a bad idea.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 am

cm1991 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Don't write a GPA addendum; your upward trend will be apparent (although it also probably won't matter), and "I was partying too much to get good grades" is not a good excuse.
Oh my god. You are absolutely right. Since that is literally the exact way I was planning to explain it in said addendum your advice is truly priceless. Thx.
Anything honest you'll be able to say in your addendum won't be worth it. If you want to lie on your applications, feel free.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:28 pm

cm1991 wrote: B. I'm a fairly laid back guy. That is- I'm in a fraternity, I like to have a good time, I care about school, but I'm not going to go to the library and check out books I don't need so that other students can't use them to study (happens in our biology department here)
Do you really think this happens in the 21st century?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
cm1991 wrote: B. I'm a fairly laid back guy. That is- I'm in a fraternity, I like to have a good time, I care about school, but I'm not going to go to the library and check out books I don't need so that other students can't use them to study (happens in our biology department here)
Do you really think this happens in the 21st century?
Yea, it's hard to steal a book that someone needs since you can buy them cheap, used, online, and all the info is online anyway. I'm sure someone has tried it at law school, but it would be an ineffective way of messing with anyone.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 pm

cm1991 wrote:
Don't be an asshole -- he's not trying to fuck you over.

Also, for the "UVA has chill bros" schtick, that's not exactly true either. The T14 is full of a bunch of mouth-breathing gunners with aspergers. If you want to be a chill bro for another three years/life, don't do law.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:44 pm

Are you a SigEp?

McGruff

Bronze

Post by McGruff » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Last edited by McGruff on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:47 pm

cm1991 wrote:
Being an aggressive dick is as bad as being a "mouth breathing gunner." Have fun at NYU.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 am

Geeze, it's amazing anyone tried to help this guy.
cm1991 wrote:
You basically just said "Of course I'd lie and make up a story to explain why I almost went on academic probation" after he gave you some pretty solid advice, not only if you were an ethical person but also a pragmatic one. Way to fight the 'bro' stereotype.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”